diyAudio Full Range Reference Project

Re: FOnken

Harderror said:
Any comments on how they sound? I became interested in the Onken design some time ago and was pleased to find this plan on the Planet 10 web site. Any feedback on these would be appreciated!

I heard Dave's pair at the last RAW event, and I thought that they were perhaps the best allround speakers there (with the exception of mine, of course! :^)
I think that you will be more than a little pleased with the end result, the only problem with the Fonkens is, IMHO, where do you go from there? It's something like Alexander's complaint that his father had been so successful that there wouldn't be any kingdoms left to conquer.

The use of 3/4 inch for the side panels is perhaps overkill, but it shouldn't cause any negative contributions, and it may help. I'm prone to heavy construction myself and would have done the same thing.

What are your plans for finishing them? They look pretty darn nice, I wish my efforts turned out as well as yours have.
Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Chris routes the back edges off at 45 degrees all the way round on ours (we are using plywood thou)....

As i privately noted to Terry earlier, treating the FE127 cones turned -- IMHO -- the Fonkens from good to spectacular... speaking of which time to get the protos back from Chris.

It will be interesting to see how the MDF does...

For reference we get the 45 on the front ports by running the whole box thru the table saw after the box is built.

dave

As backwards as it sounds. I didn't actually do that. I cut and glued mine at 45. Probably much much easier your way. I don't know why I did that. It's funny. I thought of that after they were built saying to myself "Tom, why didn't you just glue them flat and cut the bevel on the front on the saw. Ah well. On the next pair (if I like these), which of course will be baltic birch. Then I can compare the differences.

On a slightly different note. These things are a tedious trial to glue up. The ports are quite the pain if you are only working with 6 clamps. I need to get more clamps. ;)

The aticipation is killing me. I can't wait to get a set of 127's. Cash is not at hand at the moment. ARGH! hehe I can't wait. I think I will throw those crappy pioneers in just to see what they will do in them.

What are your plans for finishing them? They look pretty darn nice, I wish my efforts turned out as well as yours have.
Best Regards,
TerryO

Thank you for the compliment! I am not sure how I will finish them. I still havn't finished a set (out of the six pairs of speakers I have built). I am waiting for the paire that knocks my socks off. In other words, they will have to be speakers that I want to stay in my house. I may just sand seal and black laquer them. They seem to me that they are screaming out to be black laquered.

Well, I got them running (with the wrong driver). I must say though, even with the fe126e in them, they sound very good. Not alot of bass, but enough to listen to until I buy the 127's Here it is with the drivers installed (And clamped closed). I love the sound. It certainly has a certain kind of character to it! Sure am glad I built these on a whim.

Attachments

• fonken2.jpg
    fonken2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,524
Hi all,

Firstly, I've really enjoyed reading these forums and I am glad that there is so much interest in this hobby. This is my first post, and appropriately its regarding my first DIY project(s).

I am interested in building the latest version of the monopole for my first DIY speaker. I would like to mate it with a modified T-Amp, possibly a DIY paradise charlize based amp. Do you experts think this pairing is suitable? I am also interested in a low power simple tube DIY project, would that be more appropriate and if so do you guys have any suggestions.

I am also interested in the Buschorn MKIIs, the Cyburg Needles or a BIB project. Do you guys feel this project would be a better choice for me than these?

If I opt for the reference monopole (which is what I am leaning toward as it seems this design reflects alot of peoples hard work and research) in addition to the poly fill, should I dampen the cabinet walls with carpet pad or anything like that?

Finally, plywood or MDF? If plywood, baltic birch seems to be favored. Is this the same birch ply availible in construction super stores ie home depot etc?

Sorry for the myriad of questions. I have read through the forums but am still confused on these issues.

eforer said:
Hi all,

Firstly, I've really enjoyed reading these forums and I am glad that there is so much interest in this hobby. This is my first post, and appropriately its regarding my first DIY project(s).

I am interested in building the latest version of the monopole for my first DIY speaker. I would like to mate it with a modified T-Amp, possibly a DIY paradise charlize based amp. Do you experts think this pairing is suitable? I am also interested in a low power simple tube DIY project, would that be more appropriate and if so do you guys have any suggestions.

I am also interested in the Buschorn MKIIs, the Cyburg Needles or a BIB project. Do you guys feel this project would be a better choice for me than these?

If I opt for the reference monopole (which is what I am leaning toward as it seems this design reflects alot of peoples hard work and research) in addition to the poly fill, should I dampen the cabinet walls with carpet pad or anything like that?

Finally, plywood or MDF? If plywood, baltic birch seems to be favored. Is this the same birch ply availible in construction super stores ie home depot etc?

Sorry for the myriad of questions. I have read through the forums but am still confused on these issues.

If I may make a few suggestions:

The monopole MLTL is a great starter - quite an easy build, and with FE127E's treated per Dave (Planet10)'s formula, an amazing performer - but for this driver quite simply not the same level as the Fonken.

While I can appreciate the combination of "jump factor" and WAF of a small BLH design, (a la Buschorn, etc) as much as anyone, I'd hold off on any type of horn until the ink is dry on the next refinement of the FrugelHorn project (and the glue is dry on our prototypes)

Whichever speakers you build ( oh yes, I have a feeling there will be more than 1 pair ), I would strongly recommend using only baltic birch plywood. While the cut list for the little MLTL's is very small, you'll have lots left over from a 5x5' sheet for the next project.

For many listeners, the Fostex's FE series of drivers are an acquired taste - I think much of the criticism that some have is from a combination of inadequate break-in, room placement issues with horns, and system dissonance. Put simply, the Fostex are far less forgiving of poor quality or mismatched source/amplifier components than some other drivers with which members of this forum are familiar.

Yes, there is a synergy between the FE127 / FE126 and low/moderate powered tube amps - I particularly enjoy the 127Fonken, Frugelhorn and Ron Clarke's A126 with RH84.

Harderror said:
Well, I got them running (with the wrong driver). I must say though, even with the fe126e in them, they sound very good. Not alot of bass, but enough to listen to until I buy the 127's Here it is with the drivers installed (And clamped closed). I love the sound. It certainly has a certain kind of character to it! Sure am glad I built these on a whim.

Tom: the second pair will probably be a faster build than the first (by the third & latter even faster :D )

You gotta try them in baltic birch; with it's small size and internal bracing, this is quite a stiff little cabinet, and you really can get away with 1/2" material. I'm a big believer in the light and tight school - on a box this small it's relatively easy to get the panel resonances well above the enclosure's tuned resonant frequency, provided you don't overbrace or use thick / massive material.

The only downside to cutting the large front bevel after the box is assembled is the potential for some chipout on the top/bottoms when using plywood.

BSC for monopole?

I'd like to thank you guys for this project - absolutely ideal for someone like me trying to get me feet wet with an easy build, readily available parts, lower cost, etc.

I am about to build a pair of either the bipoles or monopoles - the tall thin ones here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=528564&stamp=1102456925

Was going to do the bipoles, but since they would be near a wall shared with a neighbor I am now thinking about the monopoles.

I was wondering about the BSC circuit for these - I've read the thread a few times now but can't seem to find what I need.

Is there a schematic (I'm still new to all this so don't do the best with just descriptions of circuits) for a bsc circuit with values for this project?

Thank you very much.

Ok, guys, my latest toying around, (I was bored today). This is the pioneer A11EC80. SOunded like crap when I first hooked it up. Now, 7 coats of diluted elmers and a phase plug which I manufactured this morning, as well as felt on the back of the magnet and UHU on the frame of the speaker to damp it, it actually sounds resonably nice. We used it in the home theatre tonight in the Fonken boxes and it really integrated well and shined in these enclosures. Not too shabby for an $11.00 driver. Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• pioneer.jpg
    pioneer.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,740
Hey everyone, I've just finished my computer speakers, using the Aura NS3 drivers, simple 3 litre sealed enclosure, painted silver to match the screen, and a picture of my gainclone amp, all in all an awesome setup, and enough bass for me for sure!

Cheers

Andrew

Attachments

• myspeakers.jpg
    myspeakers.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,465