diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread

Really nice finish with impressive heatsinks. Why only +/-40VDC and so huge PS capacitance?
I have +/-63VDC to get better headroom and only 6x15,000uF. Works fine as HB is a good design.

cheers,

I had a large box full of capacitors that won't like anything higher than 60 VDC, so I had to stay at lower rail voltage. Not a problem, since I don't need to go very loud.

Otherwise, it all boils down if you want to drive high impedance speakers (use higher rail voltage, but compromise on max. output current) or low impedance speakers (use high max. output current, but compromise on rail voltage).

May I know what preamp you are using? Would an active or passive preamp be better?

I have a transformer volume control that couples the output of my DDDAC to the input of the Badger. That is clearly passive, but it's not the usual "volume-pot-without-a-buffer-passive". I am not a fan of "passive volume pots" because the impedance matching is almost always an issue. A transformer (passive) or buffer (active) is required in my opinion.

I have a transformer volume control that couples the output of my DDDAC to the input of the Badger. That is clearly passive, but it's not the usual "volume-pot-without-a-buffer-passive". I am not a fan of "passive volume pots" because the impedance matching is almost always an issue. A transformer (passive) or buffer (active) is required in my opinion.

what is a transformer volume control?

Hi, are there experiences with HB and Quad esl?
I am planning to build a HB to be used with esl 63. Those speakers short the AMP output if a spark is detecteert by an antenne to protect the loudspeaker. An electronic lighter naar the speaker is sufficiënt to provoceren this.
There has to be some kind of current protection, I know that OS does’nt likes current limitting but properly designed it is like clipping. Nobody likes clipping but it protects.
An other option seems to use a switching powersupply, current limit build into the supply as well as softstart.
Any ideas about these?

Nico

Hello . I can ask you some beginner questions: I took up this project again, taking a long break, my idea and building a Honey Badger suitable for pushing 3-way boxes like my Ekta Grande (4 ohm). I intend to recycle psu components of Aleph 2 that I owned. I have 2 toroidal 600w 2x37, can I make a dual mono or e too 600w x channel? x PSU I have 16 cap Kemet from 47000uf 63v, a pair x channel okay? or better than more? ..x testing of H-B. and the next projects, a friend recommends me to buy a variac, and correct? thank you

Hi All,

I'm in the process of ordering parts for an HB build. I plan to use the SMPS that OStripper linked to a few months ago. (The SMPS500R from Connex Electronics +/- 60V version).
Questions:
Is there anything I need to change in the amp circuit when using that power supply?
The system will be: Source > Glass-ware's Aikido 12VAC preamp > Honey Badger > Magnepan LRS speakers (4 ohm)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve