DIYA store "Wolverine" (Son of Badger) .... suggestions ??

Stuart is trying to do his best to reply to the large number of emails. Please be patient and hold off a little.

I would like to point out that it has taken some time to get the amp to this point. The hardest part of the design (IMO) has been the optimization of the PCB. A prototype was made and Jeremy would painstakingly measure the inductance on the traces for more accurate simulation. Optimizing traces and reducing loop areas were discussed for months. Stuart needed to make changes to the PCB nearly every day, which was time consuming and he had to give up most of his weekends. John checked most of the changes for accuracy.

Innovative ideas were put forward by all the team but in particular by Jeremy and Keantoken. I would wake up every morning and there were at least 110 WhatsApp messages on my phone, to discuss improvements. This went on for over 8 months.

Alternate components were also tested. Neil, JT, Thimios and Brett would build boards and report their invaluable findings. The boards that were tested have very low distortion etc., thanks to all the hard work that everyone put into this project.

We are very fortunate to have such a fantastic team - spread over three continents!!!

Reactions: 11 users
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Don't forget your valuable part @Harry3 Harry has spent many, many hours researching the best possible parts for this project along with many compatible substitutes to create an extensive BOM. We worked together ensuring the fit of each component on the pcb was perfect. Harry consistently revised the BOM as the changes were developed to ensure that it was always up to date. Thanks Harry :)

@neilshop Neil has dedicated many hours too, getting the build guild up and running filling it with extremely valuable information suitable for all skill levels. Jeremy reviewed it and put the final touches on a already incredible document.

The pcb layout and LTspice simulation and development has been a huge investment in time but we are just about there guys.

Thanks to all that have supported this project. We will keep you posted.

Reactions: 13 users
I caught interest in the Wolverine just right now and saw it's 3EF topology. What about swapping both transistors in the middle between the two halves? Then we'd have a double Sziklai, NPN-PNP-NPN in the north, PNP-NPN-PNP in the south. The benefit would be decreased saturation voltages, hence somewhat more output power before clipping. Would there be any drawbacks?

Best regards!

Yes, can be done but it is a very significant circuit and layout redesign. The advantage of our approach here is the input stages are on a separate smaller piggy back pcb to accommodate this sort of mix and match. But you are on your own if you want to try, we are pretty much exhausted after 12 odd months of development.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Guy's I'm going to try and get the remaining payment requests out to you all over the next two days.

Hang in there. Once I have sent them all out, I will let you guys know and if I need to amend of fix up something I'll do it once I've sent out the bulk of the requests.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Guy's,

I have finished sending out all the payment requests that I have details for.

If you haven't sent me your details please do so as tomorrow (Saturday) as that will be the last day I'll accept them as part of this group buy. We are now trying to finalise this part of the project.

I you have not received your payment request and believe that you should have. Please first login to your paypal account and check. Then check your PM'S, then send me a PM with the subject "Wolverine Payment Request" I'll then look into it from there. You may have to re send me your excel order sheet.

Thank you to all the people who have paid so promptly. If you haven't paid please endeavour to do so over the next few days as I don't want anyone to miss out on this group buy opportunity.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks Stuart! I received the request via Paypal and paid.

I initially thought I had not received it because I expected it via diyAudio personal message - so, for others who are “missing” the payment request, check your Paypal account.
Yes same for me, only understood after the message of Stuart that I should check my paypal account which I otherwise rarely use. So I second: check your paypal accounts guys. And of course thanks everyone involved for their hard work to make the "wolverine" happen!

Hi Guy's,

I have finished sending out all the payment requests that I have details for.

If you haven't sent me your details please do so as tomorrow (Saturday) as that will be the last day I'll accept them as part of this group buy. We are now trying to finalise this part of the project.

I you have not received your payment request and believe that you should have. Please first login to your paypal account and check. Then check your PM'S, then send me a PM with the subject "Wolverine Payment Request" I'll then look into it from there. You may have to re send me your excel order sheet.

Thank you to all the people who have paid so promptly. If you haven't paid please endeavour to do so over the next few days as I don't want anyone to miss out on this group buy opportunity.
Hi,
yesterday I payed too via paypal. Do you send a message, when the pcbs are on the way? Tracking ID would also be nice,

thank you very much for your work,

chris

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi,
yesterday I payed too via paypal. Do you send a message, when the pcbs are on the way? Tracking ID would also be nice,

thank you very much for your work,

chris
Hi Chris, The PCB's will be ordered soon, I am just trying to finalize things with the PCB supplier. Once the order is placed I will let everyone know.
Then depending on fabrication time they may take a few days to fabricate them all.

Having 3 colors (Blue, Green, Black) and 3 different boards (IPS 1 oz copper, EF3-3 & EF3-4 2 oz copper) means if could take a while.

Once that process is finished I will let you guy's know. Then they will have to be shipped out to myself and the other distributes.
Once that happens I will let you guy's know.
Once we receive them we will start sending them out to members.

I know this seams like a long process but there isn't any way we can make it faster.
I will however send all members who have paid a Dropbox link to the Schematic, Bom & Build guide once the boards are ordered.
I'm sending the dropbox link because the size of the Build guide it large to e-mail.

So if you don't have Dropbox installed, you may want to look into it.

Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Guy's, Just letting you all know that the group buy has now closed.

I will not accept anymore orders. I need to move on the finalizing the group buy order with the pcb manufacturer. I will continue to work with the last few people that I've sent payment requests to.

I'll keep you updated. There has been a some production delay in china due to the recent COVID outbreak in Shenzhen.

PCBway Notice