DIYA store "Wolverine" (Son of Badger) .... suggestions ??

"First watt" crowd pleaser ...

This looks like the old Genesis Stealth type response. The Stealth used
TTL/LED display and a remote to step the class A CCS's (crude but it worked).

PPM class A >20W. 8R it drops to .4ppm at 140ma.

OS

Attachments

• First watt.jpg
    First watt.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 390
It could be a cool option! If it's going to be stepped a simple port expander could easily control it. Would we need to worry about thermal compensation for the optocoupler? It would suck to have it suffer thermal runaway!

Just like in the Spooky the LED's have a neg. T opposed to the trannies
positive one. red and IR's just about negate the transistor.
I always strive for a slight neg. Tc on any design. (safe).
Actually the curve is a hump. This means high ambient for the opto will
back off on the boosted bias (negative Tc).

Current Transfer Ratio (CTR) and Response Time of Photocouplers / Optocouplers | Renesas
https://www.vishay.com/docs/48034/edn0715.pdf

Vishay agrees.
PS , this does not hold true for other linear opto's (triacs). Some BJT opto's have a Tc compensated driver. but ,
these need a separate supply.
OS

Last edited:
Actually it would only be eight resistors, but I'd let you figure out the math on it! For a linear scale second resistor would be double the value of the first, third resistor double the second...

How many mA are you planning to drive the opto with? It's only good for 20mA/IO but add a ULN2803 after it and you can run 40V 500mA.

.step param Ropt list 33k 39k 47k 56k 68k 1Meg

Equals (below).

Wolverine - I set the trimmer to 20mA , making the top step (33K)....
145mA. 160 I thinks does GM doubling.

But class A/145mA = 35 PPB 10khz !!

AB is lowest 70-80mA.

OS

Attachments

• resistor steps.jpg
    resistor steps.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 356
Actually it would only be eight resistors, but I'd let you figure out the math on it! For a linear scale second resistor would be double the value of the first, third resistor double the second...

How many mA are you planning to drive the opto with? It's only good for 20mA/IO but add a ULN2803 after it and you can run 40V 500mA.

The opto BJT shunts 60-120uA and the LED uses 70-140uA.

Very sensitive , Q104 still shunts 80% of the Vbe.

OS

Are you going to make us solder an SMD MCU chip to get all these analog and digital ports needed for all the feature proposed, or could we settle on a DIP-28 or DIP-32 solution? I build a ham radio kit that was all SMD - it was a s**tshow. I eventually got it to work, but had to desolder a part and get a whole new replacement... This was the Peaberry SDR kit.

The first time you try to solder SMD parts of that pitch by hand, you will fail. I did. 0.1" please.

I'll rework the math when I'm not falling asleep but it should be close if the opto is fairly linear. In my experience they have a bit of a range in forward voltage between batches lately so some actual testing might be needed. I may have the pins backwards on the expander too, some are MSB so you would be writing pin 7 first instead of pin 0.