DIY Video Projector Part II

I haven't yet personally, as my budget doesn't allow me to do it.

Currently one of the best setups on the board is:

$50-100 for a good, bright, overhead projector.
$200 for a 14" (maybe 15" if your projector will fit it, most don't) LCD monitor

Remove the backlight and the driver boards out of the way, and mount the monitor on the overhead projector. Very nice way to get 1024x768 resolution for about $300.

Look at other threads in the forum for examples and more information on doing this... there really is just experimentation at this point. I think 4 or 5 people have attempted the LCD monitor method, and 2 or 3 of them have succeeded -- the other two fried their LCD monitors (ouch).

640x480 is plenty for me, and it lets me stay around the $100 budget ($50 OHP and $60 projection panel).

Hope this helps! Check out the other threads in the forum, they really are great.

--Clint

laptop

did you run into trouble with the ribbon cable? I read that many people have problems with them being too short and breaking off. Did you find a good way to extend them? That is what I would like to do, I was just concerned that I would fry the lcd and be out a couple hundred bucks. Whats the resolution your using? any screendoor effect?

OHP Problems !!

Hi All,

I've been have quite a few problems with my OHP. First the bulb blew, so i replaced the bulb and the OHP refused to work ??

After a lot of searching, testing & head scratching, it turns out the microswitches were causing the problem !! The picture looks well clear & sharp now, which is nice !!

So now the OHP is working again, and after aligning the optics again, i now have an image of the element on screen ??

Does anybody know how i can eliminate this problem ?? I can't remember having this problem before ?? And the bulb is the same type as the one that came out !! (A1/223 24v 250w Quartz Halgoen Bulb)

Cheers

Cosmic023

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Re: laptop

I'm using a laptop panel...without the laptop. I use a controller card in my PC, the panel has no ribon cables in the way, all I had to do was remove the backlight gear. I manage 800x600 no screen door on a 10 foot diagonal image.

zardoz

sk8er1020 said:
did you run into trouble with the ribbon cable? I read that many people have problems with them being too short and breaking off. Did you find a good way to extend them? That is what I would like to do, I was just concerned that I would fry the lcd and be out a couple hundred bucks. Whats the resolution your using? any screendoor effect?

laptop panel

zardoz
i'm curious to know your setup. i'd like to get into the laptop panel approach. sorry if i missed your explaination in a previous post; I tried to look for one to no avail. the BB seems to have changed a bit since my last visit. i've outgrown vga and low contrast but haven't decided where to make my next A/V investment.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Re: laptop panel

Sorry for the delay. been prety busy. I am using a sharp 12.1 inch screen, best res is 800x600. The LCD is not what I wanted originally but will do just fine till I find better(for cheap). The controller is from Spectrah in Taiwan, they only sell to OEM's. Since I am an OEM I now have a business link with them(see my thread "EVDisplays and possibillities") I'll be happy to give you whatever help I can offer.

zardoz

icculus said:
zardoz
i'm curious to know your setup. i'd like to get into the laptop panel approach. sorry if i missed your explaination in a previous post; I tried to look for one to no avail. the BB seems to have changed a bit since my last visit. i've outgrown vga and low contrast but haven't decided where to make my next A/V investment.

LCD Panel Info.....

Hi Zardoz,

I'm interested in getting another LCD panel to fit my OHP, at a later date i would love to rehouse all the components in the OHP & Panel into a custom built box.

The reason for this is that an OHP wastes so much light, and you could with a better design make use of all the light available !!

One thing i was interested in was updating the panel i have now, with a SVGA laptop panel, and i like the idea of your laptop panel & converter.

How much is it to get a 10" - 12" Laptop LCD panel & a converter. Can it do VGA, SVGA, S-Video & Comp. Video ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

The problem you will discover with 2-way mirrors is that they require differing light levels on the respective sides to work.
Picture this. . . The police are interrogating the suspect while the witness is looking at them from behind the 2-way mirror.
The interrogation room has normal lighting, the observation room has a much lower light level (much dimmer) so they can not be seen from the interrogation side.

The 2-way mirror is not completely reflective like a normal mirror, it is only partially reflective.

Perhaps for our purposes a mirror with a slot that is non reflective allows light to pass through the slot but any stray light is reflected.

Re: Re: laptop panel

zardoz said:
Sorry for the delay. been prety busy. I am using a sharp 12.1 inch screen, best res is 800x600. The LCD is not what I wanted originally but will do just fine till I find better(for cheap). The controller is from Spectrah in Taiwan, they only sell to OEM's. Since I am an OEM I now have a business link with them(see my thread "EVDisplays and possibillities") I'll be happy to give you whatever help I can offer.

zardoz

zardoz,

I am interested in the controller you have too. could you give me some information about this board. either here or send me an email to xyliu (AT) earthlink (DOT) net. thank you very much!

LCD Panel Controller

Hi Zardoz,

Why would we need to find a retailer, as you have the ability to buy these cards direct from the manufacture ??

How much is the controller ?? And where could you buy a laptop panel ?? I know e-bay has a few now & again in the UK.

Could the whole package be bought for less than GBP £200 ??

Otherwise i'd be better going for a LCD monitor, but i did like the idea of the Laptop LCD / Controller setup, as you could get LCD panels small enough to fit an OHP, instead of trying to get an 14" LCD monitor to fit !!

Cheers

Cosmic023

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
There are many things that need to be considered. For starters there are several controllers available. I chose to build a dedicated HTPC for DVD's and TV viewing, not for hardcore gaming (only 8 megs video memory). I am using my second choice panel and am quite happy with it 800x600 a tad slow in the refresh but fine for now (it's a TTL panel...I want an LVDS panel) I chose the controller I did as I have other uses for a PC based LCD controller card. My card is the LDS270M...just about anything else past this gets more expensive (not by too much) and also more complicated ie: differant BIOS chips required to run various panels.

zardoz