DIY USB Ground Loop Eliminator and Filter

or if it just lets 500mA trough and essentially heats up "because" of the 500mA.
since there are no warnings about this on RC filter guides i guess the statement above is true
it also makes more sense since the resistor itself would need a direct ground connection to actually "burn" wattage which is the case in a voltage devider for example

So i guess i will buy some 10 ohm 5W resistor to test this with my current boards :) maybe there is also a audible difference because the DC filter frequency gets shifted even further down with a resistor
i just need to cut the trace from switch to supercap and solder a resistor from supercap + pin to the right switch pin

Reactions: 1 user
i just bought these: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005621955006.html 10 ohm 5W metal film ones, metal film seems to be a good choice from what i read and im not too concerned about quality with resistors (since i bought on aliexpress) ...

Also the CDA supercaps arrived yesterday, unfortunaly with some bent pins but still useable

since noone yet wanted to (seriously) buy one, i might end up sending some prototypes for free (against shipping cost) before i start a next revision, but i have to see, i would still like to recoup some of the money i spent in research and testing, tho i also wanna get some other opinions :) we might get the ball rolling once other people heared it and can report back :)

My offer for 20euro per board (including shipping inside germany, international you have to pay shipping) still stands for a bit
if tests dont go wrong you get a fully working prototype with the resistor, so no risk in frying usb ports... i probably can finish them in around 7-10 days when the resistors arrive

the other issue with ground resistance has to be avoided manually, just set the ground passtrough switch to on as long you use PC power since i cant gurantee that the dac is grounded elsewhere in each setup...
if you use a external power supply (or know what you are doing) you can play around as you wish

EDIT: if someone doesnt like this after testing, if you pay shipping cost you can sent it back "for free" and get your 20 euro back if unsatisfied (for 30 days after arrivement) :)

Last edited:
Ah one thing more, unrelated but might be important for some buying decisions...

I actually bought the new interface (black lion audio 2x2 revolution) so im able to record in high-ish quality, i will probably get soon some microphones and start testing wether i can spot differences in the recording which i also hear in RL on my setup, if things work out i might be able to do a small comparison video of this plug compared to ifi isilencer etc...

also im probably able to offer flac files so youtube is no excuse :)
:)

Hi Ghostknight,
sorry for my late reply, i had some personal issues...
oh no problem, i thought you are not interested anymore

i will tune the prototypes a bit more before i will sent them out, i also got another member that wants to try this and compare it to a similar setup than mine, he currently uses Topping HS02 + 2x Ifi Isilencer, it will be also interesting what he will think

Since im adding the resistor there is also no real harm in adding a bigger supercap, i still have some 15F ones, which i will try once the resistors arrive and maybe include in the prototypes, since i plan to use more capacitance in the next version anyway