_

Attachments

• minor_typo.png
    minor_typo.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 523

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I don’t have any of this amp yet except the article posted above, but if those switches in question need to open/close at the same time, a single DPDT wired to the PCB pads will work… Not sure what the SPST is intended for. I’m sure there’s a logical reason…

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I believe those two switches are indeed the DPDT switch. A single switch that has 2 different contacts. So the single switch device covers the 2 switches seen on the diagram.

As I understand it (kind of) one side of the switch allows connects the power into the amp, and the other side allows the relays to ground the speaker output, to prevent the turn on/off “thump”.

Last edited:
PCB Layout does show both connections are to the Power supply connection. Diagram shows wrong -Ve supply on the Switch. If corrected to + V supply, then single switch will do (SPST) ? to connect Power to these two points

I don't think a single SPST switch will work here. Please note that the second switch is after R4|R5|R6.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
anyone (who is going to build it!) read article ?

Page 3, bottom :
You will note the more elaborate filtering, made necessary by the VFET's
exposure to rail noise and the larger thump of the circuit on turn-on/off.
It has a DPDT switch for on/off to make this work, and a relay which shorts the
speaker output to ground. R8 at 3.6 Kohm was tested to be adequate to open
these normally closed contacts after a short delay, but if it doesn't you will want
to parallel another resistor with it to make the resistance value a bit smaller.

and there is also clear wiring diagram on Page 5..........and I believe everyone is going to get damn switch in kit

:clown:

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Well, if you don't have a separate switch for the relay ... power for the relay coil will be provided by the 6 x 1000 uF capacitors.
Depending on the time constant / current draw of the output stages, that might not drop the relay quickly enough at switch-off to prevent a power-off thump ...