DIY Sony VFET pt 1

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Dang, this is awesome. I've been lurking the VFET threads for awhile, and waiting for something like this to come along... but now I just hope I'm lucky enough to get the opportunity to purchase. :D

@6L6, yeah, I may end up buying an old one just for parts if I'm one of the lucky lotto winners!

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
$499 for everything - that’s about a third of what I was expecting... and about a tenth of what you’d imagine it to retail for. Hats off to DIYA and Nelson!

Thanks. As mentioned, this is being offered "at cost" as a measure of appreciation to say "thank you" to our most passionate members.

Prototypes have been paid for by myself and Nelson. No profit will be made and any extra money left in the kitty donated.

I'm intrigued by the choice of charities- suicide prevention and prostate cancer research. I just happened to start reading up on the latter for work reasons.

They are two issues which have special meaning for me. Both have touched the lives of diyAudio members and their families in the past and without going in the details, have also hit close to home in my own life.

Can we buy the chassis only? I mean outside of the lottery?

We've made 200 specially for the VFETs as a limited run, and will see how far they go.

Priority for those 200 will firstly go to people who purchased kits containing VFETs, then people who already have VFETs. Some people might not buy the chassis. If there are any left over they will be made for public sale once those two groups have had their needs met.

After that, we have some variations on the design to be released in the future that can be used for other amps or variations (probably without the VFET text so it has a wider appeal).

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
@Analogico
I'm only across the offering which is described on the store page and have no details or pricing on any future variations.

@wwwtttwww
If you're asking about the actual mechanics of purchase, a PM will be sent to confirm your store email address and if you want the parts kit, chassis, or both, and a draft invoice will be emailed to you where you can checkout (choose where to ship, how to ship, and make payment).

@pfdavid
Thanks! Trying my best to achieve that goal...

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Here are a couple of photos from the upcoming guide, they give a very clear overview of the internal configuration.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3046.JPG
    IMG_3046.JPG
    629.7 KB · Views: 1,735
  • IMG_3051.JPG
    IMG_3051.JPG
    706.6 KB · Views: 1,741
Odd, I tried to locate the offering in the diyaudio store if for nothing else a good cry. However I see no mention of it or how to be placed on the email list. Has my wife put a block on my home network or am I just a moron ( i know it is a rhetorical question)?
Bill

Last edited: