DIY Sony VFET pt 1

Joined 2018
Paid Member
but since I had tested all the vfets and sorted them by Vgs, it was trivial to match them. You can see the number on the parts.

Wow. Hats off to you, sir.

I wonder... do you think a VFET-based preamp is inherently kind of a silly idea? Maybe if for no other reason than availability haha. I know Yamaha tried it back in the day.

Also, I'm not sure of the exact specs of my Pioneer Exclusive C3 preamp, but one site shows that it has a 'maximum' output of 15V, but is rated at 2V (50kohm impedance). Not sure if that's accurate (I mean, it does have 140V rails), but in my experience it does seem to have plenty of gain, so it may actually pair nicely with this VFET design. :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Just to make sure I've got this right...

There will be a complete kit for both versions (differing only in polarity) available from the store -- including the VFETs and chassis?

I've been looking at picking up an old VFET-based receiver (B1/B2 or TA-N88), but sounds like this may be an even better route?!

Yes. But quantity is limited and there will never be another offering of this.

SO... buy the old Vfet receiver as well and salvage the parts, as there will also be a version for those parts. :) :) :)

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I'm thinking I shouldn't return this to it's rightful owner .... ?
:D :D :D

Looks very at home among the M2Xs....

Sounds absolutely fantastic—DAC or vinyl. Plenty of sweetness from the monkey coffins (92 db). Definitely the quietest amp I've ever had in my system—as in—absolutely nothing can be heard...ear to cones. Yay Nelson! Yay Mark! Can't wait to build one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DIY-Audio-Sony-Vfet-3-4-Front.jpg
    DIY-Audio-Sony-Vfet-3-4-Front.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 3,723
  • DIY-Audio-Sony-Vfet-3-4-Back_r3.jpg
    DIY-Audio-Sony-Vfet-3-4-Back_r3.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 3,544
  • Jims-Vfet.jpg
    Jims-Vfet.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,162
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Can we buy the chassis only? I mean outside of the lottery?

This, from the FAQ:

Q: Can the chassis (or any other part) be purchased separately?
A: We have made 200 chassis, which is intended to be enough for everyone who buys a kit with VFETs, plus some more for people who already own their own VFETs. If there are any left over after that, they will be listed in the store around July 2021.

Can we buy the chassis only? I mean outside of the lottery?

"Q: Can the chassis (or any other part) be purchased separately?
A: We have made 200 chassis, which is intended to be enough for everyone who buys a kit with VFETs, plus some more for people who already own their own VFETs. If there are any left over after that, they will be listed in the store around July 2021."

codyt's always quick!!

Last edited: