DIY Sony VFET lottery discussion

Can I get two? I have a bi-amped system, and so need two bass channels and two tweeter channels.

Allow me to propose you obtain a few Tokins. Use the Tokins for your low frequency channel. A Tokin SIT based low end amplifier might even be better suited for this particular task.
Maybe you even should get enough Tokins for all your channel not placing yourself in a situation where you are dependent on winning this lottery.

Best regards

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This is such an inspiring act! Thank you Nelson and Jason! Such a nice feeling after the past year.

I've been lucky enough to meet both Nelson and Jason in-person. They are great folks and really care about diyers and this heavenly place. Long live diyaudio.

Thank you so much Mr. Pass for all those articles you've written that have sparked our imaginations. I know for me, I would have never built a power amplifier on my own, let alone tweak one without your generous help and leadership.

Thanks to all who have made community grow, it is an amazing place to share. :)

Last of all I am so glad to see that giant vfet chassis sans power supply. I've spent the last month recovering from hernia surgery. First glance at the vfet part 1 article and all I could think was... "well, couldn't lift that chassis... ouch!" :eek:

Looks do-able without PS inside, I'm signing up after all :rolleyes:

Well, see y'all at 3PM CDT, the 7th on the Lottery thread. Best of luck to all now watching the clock. :clock:

Well the author of post #308 has a lot to learn. Has been a member since 2007 for 14 years but has shown up with their first post after 14 years today in this thread. With that attitude, I am sorry but he should be automatically precluded from the lottery or any further offerings.

I was a bit annoyed when I read the email last night. The time window is an issue for me, but having just the 343 posts above I realise I was a bit blinded by the bling (both chassis and vfets!) on offer. Greed is a funny thing haha.

I have a number of projects that I still need to finish. I already have parts for others I am planning to build and just received some nice Tokins from Japan for even more future fun. Yes, the vfets would have been nice and the whole kit together with a sure to be excellent build guide would have made building it a breeze, but I am happy if someone else gets the chance to build and enjoy this beautiful amp. He will probably finish it months bedore I would get around to it.

A big thank you to Nelson and everyone else in making this possible.And good luck to all the lottery entrants. May the audio gods bless your entry with a win :)

I have only been a member for a few months, and in that time have built two ACA amps. Wonderful amps, and with the help of this community I had a great time building them. Thanks to Nelson Pass and all of you who make this possible.
I aim to throw my name in the ring too. No try, No win.....

Joined 2002
Paid Member
While I won't be participating in the lottery (good luck to all who are :) and hope you're delighted with the results) I just want to point out that even for many modern products, availability is a serious issue and the 'fastest finger first' policy on most commercial storefronts is hurting too many consumers.

With the recent events of 2020 that are leading to a general shortage of semis, we also had the AKM fire last year, the crimping of supply chains that have slowed car production (among others) to a near-halt, the skyrocketing prices of all CPU, GPU and memory components, and now the drought in Taiwan that is threatening to put a serious damper on pretty much all businesses that need silicon - I can't think of one that doesn't, in one way or the other.

As Jason said, the lottery is the most balanced system that allows everyone equal opportunity to procure the kit. The fact that only a few will ever get was always going to be true - and that is bound to upset a few folks, no doubt. But it would still give every single participant a chance, which is not true of first come first serve.