DIY Sony VFET lottery discussion

Would winners be able to buy the parts without the chassis, or is it a package deal? The site wasn't clear about that.

The kit includes everything you need to build the amplifier except solder and tools. Jim (6L6) is doing one of his legendary step-by-step build guides.

So. The important question. How much? Grab a chair...

Parts kit (including VFETs!) $259
Chassis $259, or
Complete kit $499
Prices exclude shipping; chassis ships from Italy; parts ship from the USA.

There's expected to be more demand than there are units available, so we're running a lottery to keep things fair. To enter the lottery just make a post in the lottery entry thread at 8PM UTC on April 7th (1PM PDT, 4PM EDT). The lottery thread will only be open for a 15 minute window, so you'll need to set your alarm clock.

I don't know about you but I work for a living and do not have the luxury of time to check a forum at a specific time in order to make an entry / post just to go into a lottery and hope that I get picked..

This is unnecessarily resentful. The good news is that you can still check out the “While they last...” thread, follow the links, buy yourself some soon-to-be-unobtainium SITs and cheerfully await the project Nelson has in mind for them. Things simply aren’t as dire as you make it out to be.

I don't know about you but I work for a living and do not have the luxury of time to check a forum at a specific time in order to make an entry / post just to go into a lottery and hope that I get picked to spend $500 to buy a commemorative 10 watt amplifier kit.

Sounds fair, but I often see this kind of online lottery method on Discord etc. It seems this is becoming more common these days...

I do not know about you, but I hate it when companies dangle carrots in front of me just to buy their future products. I understand that they want to generate interest, but sometimes it can get so obnoxious it can be a turn off.

For me this is one of those occasions. I don't know about you but I work for a living and do not have the luxury of time to check a forum at a specific time in order to make an entry / post just to go into a lottery and hope that I get picked to spend $500 to buy a commemorative 10 watt amplifier kit. Do you realize how nuts that sounds to the average Joe? If you told them that you were doing all of this, I am sure that they would be thinking a little medication would go a long way for your mental disorder.

With that said there are folks on this forum that like the “thrill of the chase” and that’s fine, if that’s what floats your boat? For me I like to keep things simple, either offer it as a product without all of the hoopla, like you have in the past, or don’t bother doing it at all. Taking the half hearted approach of jumping through all of the hoops just to get your hopes up for something that you may never get is ridiculous.

So here is my bottom line, if you want to make an anniversary edition, then make available for everyone interested, let us do the paid preorder like past projects, wait for things to get manufactured and then happily enjoy building your amp. This approach has always worked in the past, so making everyone go way out of the way for something like this, especially when it’s not necessary, borders on Sadism!

On the other hand, if it’s going to be too costly to meet the interest / demand of your loyal customers like myself, then maybe it would be better to not offer anything? Think of the person who jumps through all of the hoops, get his hopes up on winning the lottery and then for one reason or another, ends up with nothing. How would you feel if you were that person?

So, it goes without having to say it, but either poop or get off the pot! Either do this the right way as you have in the past, or forget about it! (New York accent applied).

I think lottery system was choosen so that everybody gets fair chance. And with prior announcement a specific time choosen will give anyone around the world to participate. Any time can be inconvenient to anyone across the globe; which is unavoidable situation. I also think this is not hoopla or publicity. It brings a little system and process to make things in orderly fashion.
Best regards.

Last edited:
I do not know about you, but I hate it when companies dangle carrots in front of me just to buy their future products. I understand that they want to generate interest, but sometimes it can get so obnoxious it can be a turn off. .......).
Sit down and take your chill pill. Understand that this is precisely the only way that regular Joe has a shot at building one of these amps. Papa Pass could just as easily pass his very limited personal stash of Sony VFETS to his close personal friends and everyone else is SOL. Or he could build these under the First WATT name and sell them for several thousand a piece. Not to mention 100% of profits are going to charity. Sheesh, the negativity is unnecessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either do this the right way as you have in the past, or forget about it! (New York accent applied).

Having been a member of several other audio forums I have seen many members on occasion offer NOS parts, tubes, etc, to other members through a lottery or simple contest of some kind. This is nothing new and I don't see any problem...this just happens to be a REALLY nice NOS prize being offered.

Many would be grateful for a chance to win and always doing things as we did in the past may get a bit boring for any community, but to each...his own.