DIY Sony VFET Builders thread

Yes, they just need a couple of watts to sip on. The whole “first” watt thing is definitely not lost on me ��. There is a pair of ACA’s if you zoom in, as well as a retail FW M2 and J2 (J not pictured). ACP+ as a pre. All great... but this Vfet is quite remarkable!

Waiting and Creating a Playlist

My parts kits arrived at Narita Airport today, so hopefully will receive within the next week but reading all these posts makes me smile!

As i had not built anything in a couple of years, I picked up a nice Elekit-8600S (300B) kit amp to dust the soldering rust off...

Now the question will be how to re-arrange once the VFET #63 is ready for listening room.

Attachments

• PXL_20210419_050924709.jpg
    PXL_20210419_050924709.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 496
  • PXL_20210422_061219060.jpg
    PXL_20210422_061219060.jpg
    751.3 KB · Views: 490
Yes, they just need a couple of watts to sip on. The whole “first” watt thing is definitely not lost on me ��. There is a pair of ACA’s if you zoom in, as well as a retail FW M2 and J2 (J not pictured). ACP+ as a pre. All great... but this Vfet is quite remarkable!

Among VFET SE, M2 and J2 - can you number according to your preference for us who can't afford it. ty

Only digital listening so far.
The amp sounds so good right from the start that it took me a while to bother playing my nerdy test/demo tracks.

With a friend, we try to play computer and audio card connected directly to ACA
without any preamplifier and its work like a charm.

SE Vfet have ~10 dBs of gain the same like ACA but more power
so I guess will be even more pleasant and easy to drive the 8 Ohm speakers
in similar configuration with audio card :)

With a friend, we try to play computer and audio card connected directly to ACA
without any preamplifier and its work like a charm.

SE Vfet have ~10 dBs of gain the same like ACA but more power
so I guess will be even more pleasant and easy to drive the 8 Ohm speakers
in similar configuration with audio card :)

maybe the Vfet will reside in my studio, its the most critical listening room, cause i work there, and music plays the whole day ; )
I actually have the nice playing ACA there.
When i made it, i got the Gerber files from member Kacernator with B1 buffer included.
It was recommended for the use with "just" direct digital lousy devices like Ipod etc. There was the saying that without buffer, lousy device messes with feedback loop, impedance mismatch...
Don´t know how "robust" the actual FE is for "lousy device" use.
Does anybody?

The problem with very efficient speakers like +105dB is that there might always be a "hiss-sound" as "background". It requires that there is just enough gain and ACP+ could be a perfect amp for the Klipsch as the only amp? ....was it Klipsch hornspeakers?
Or just a buffer + VFET.
Probably the Tannoys have a nice impedance curve for a low current amp?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
O.K. got my case today......one case for one amp!

Very unusual for me, my last case saw since 2007 around 15 different builds in it.
I found always two holes for the screws to fit a board tor a test.....

NOW pure luxury, even correct round holes and writings on the back........!

:D:D:D

Attachments

• Sony VFET NP 01.jpg
    Sony VFET NP 01.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 307
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Very unusual for me, my last case saw since 2007 around 15 different builds in it.
I found always two holes for the screws to fit a board tor a test.....

NOW pure luxury, even correct round holes and writings on the back........!

:D:D:D

I know what you mean. I have exactly one case for amps, and one case for preamps. The bottom of the preamp case is beginning to look like swiss cheese :D It was such a pleasure betting to build a nice, new chassis (for one amp!)

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I did a little wiring over my lunch break. I ran the power wires underneath the output board.

I was feeling under the weather the last two nights, so I did not build. I should finish tonight or tomorrow if all goes well. I can’t wait to hear this beauty on my horns!

Attachments

• 6C3C0087-9EB7-45A7-A3EB-CEF8320A8409.jpeg
    6C3C0087-9EB7-45A7-A3EB-CEF8320A8409.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 298