diy projector from the Philippines

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I adjust the lcd angle for keystone correction. it increases my pj height by 2 inches. What happened is this..

Attachments

• outline5 017.jpg
    outline5 017.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 3,199
Call me a Liar, but really the color is really brilliant the way I see it.

To anyone who has the same LCD as i have, I suggest that

1. Try not to split the fresnel. There will be improvement in edge to edge brightness when you split fresnel. but color and sharpness will suffer,

2. Don't be afraid to increase the distance between your fresnel and LCD. I started my distance at 1 inch and its been there for along time. I got fed up and tried to hold the fresnel with my hand while the pj in action and wow! color got deeper and image sharper and brighter at a distance of 2 inches.

3. Do not use glass after the light engine but make sure lcd is cooled down by a strong fan and with good airflow in the box. Glasses negatively affects the vividness of color and sharpness. My fan is rated 12v and 0.6A. A powerful one. Buy a metal halide with UV filter so that you won't need to put a uv glass or ordinary glass on top of the light engine

4. Increasing the contrast setting and lowering of brightness setting will greatly improve color vividness.
But hey! you will say that " You need an excellent light engine to do this". I fully agree. There's lot to learn in this site how to correctly set-up your light engine. And i will leave it a that.

I used to have 150w then upgraded to 250w lately. My pj really becomes brighter.

But wait ! How come my pj is bright enough in the daylight scene of a movie but during night scene I can't see anything !

5. That last question in my mind almost made me give up my diy project and just invest in an expensive pj for my own good.

But I dont want to give up. I planned before that I will buy a 400w double ended metal halide and already I am trying to save money at that time.

Here comes the killer tweak! I've read in some forum that AOU panel like Benq 557/567s needs to be angled at 10 or 20 deg for best contrast ratio.

I tried it got a big boost in brightness. I was able to increase my contrast by 10 points and lower the bightness setting by 10 points also. I already posted the result.

6. But I am still not happy when I watch spiderman earlier, i cannot see clearly or anything in the scene when spiderman chase his uncle's killer and at the final chapter it is the same thing.

7. I decided to increase the angle of my lcd and just set the angel where I can correct keystone.

Awesome great! the dvd is paused to the dark scene when i did this. Brightness got much better wow! I can see much better the last chapter of spiderman. but i made a little sacrifice to the height of my pj. It increases the distance between lcd and projection lens by 2 inches to correct the focus. To newbies, please angle the projection lens the same angle as lcd to get the right focus.

Hope this will help some newbies. I learned a lot when i first visited this site. I hope i had given back something in return.

More power to this forum!!!

Attachments

• outline5 020.jpg
    outline5 020.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 3,063
I bought this panel from an integrator in Taiwan. The model is B084SN02. You cannot buy from them per pcs. The minumum order is 10 pcs. You cannot go direct to manufacturer unless you are a recognize integrator.

This is the model that the korean used but with different controller board.

I was allowed to buy 1 unit as production sample because i am working to become a reseller of their lcd. price per unit is $325 plus shipping.

I am trying to save some money so that i can order in 10-100 quantitites and get a lower pricing and become a distributor here in the Philippines.

This model is being used for tablet pc.

I'm back! Wow i really miss my pj. Let's go on baby!

Here is another improvement that i had notice since i started angling the lcd.

Before I don't understand why the skin tone of concert dvd's are so ugly. It appears to be a burnt red or sometimes look too reddish even if the saturation is turned down low in the lcd controller. Can't explain it enough but it look so ugly before i did'nt take pictures of it.

Maybe some of you haven't experience it, but too some who have this problem, maybe the trick will also do it for you.

Attachments

• outline5 037.jpg
    outline5 037.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,758
CR is 350. I am very happy with the whites and blacks. You know, it was as nice before. Please read my posts how I did this. I hope my suggestions will apply to you also.

Red and green color is satisfying. Yellow is pleasing for me. I am now thinking on how to improve the blue color. Blue is in a lighter shade.

I read in some article that using the S-video output but replacing its cable with 2-RG-6 coaxial cable will improve further the color and replacing the s-video jack with BNC connectors.

Will try it soon but right now I am busy working on my pj cabinet.

Attachments

• outline5 069.jpg
    outline5 069.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 2,011
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.