DIY progress report

Coulomb said:
Let me guess, this is what you pay people to do for you? :)

i can imagine it would be nice if people can be paid to think for you !

The only reason for staying tuned with industry for the most innovative would propably be to see who is ripping off his ideas.

Just today i received an invitation for a speech on organic electronics.
I would imagine that the one leading the hurd needs to stay tuned on technologies and parts just as all the non-professional builders here,like me, who are hunting this audio heaven for knowledge.

I recall Mr Pass using Holden&Fisher transformers exclusively for his amplifiers in the past.
For a long time Pass products carried Mallory's, those have been swapped too.

How does Mr Pass keep up to date with what is and what's new?

btw: i downloaded the original drawings of the retired Pass
products from the downloadpage at PassLabs,
a big THANK YOU to Mr Nelson Pass.

Nelson Pass said:
Life is like a game of Space Invaders - I'm at the bottom of
the screen with a cannon, and problems fall toward me from
the top. As you get older, there are more problems and they
fall faster. :cool:

!!!CANON!!! Luxury, bleeding luxury all I got is pointed stick!

:) :)

Anthony

All of life's mysteries were solved long ago by Monty Python.

It's easy to stay informed on what's current: Browse the parts catalogs. There's no point in getting excited about something if you can't get a reliable supply of the actual item. Sure, you might score a few samples or something, but you can't build a product line on samples. Manufacturers have to look at the long run--not only what's available today but tomorrow as well. And the day after tomorrow, and the day after the day after tomorrow...

Grey

GRollins said:
It's easy to stay informed on what's current: Browse the parts catalogs. There's no point in getting excited about something if you can't get a reliable supply of the actual item. Sure, you might score a few samples or something, but you can't build a product line on samples. Manufacturers have to look at the long run--not only what's available today but tomorrow as well. And the day after tomorrow, and the day after the day after tomorrow...

Grey

Hey Grey, you know my signature tag line is a pun derived from my Alias, as well as being about my predeliction for knowledge? :)

Anthony

Mr Rollins makes it sound as if spare parts set the pace for innovation.
No entrepeneur would base a production line on samples.
Cost, surely, is a factor at any level, i noticed the marginal price difference at Digikey for items sold by the 1000 or 10.000.
Small companies will step up to higher grades depending on easier availability and lower prices.
I noticed that a number of the small fish started using multi-emitter bipolars at the moment that they became cheaper at lower order numbers.
In the 80s the Hitachi MosFets seemed to head for the throne, once that they became harder to get by everybody stepped out, with good reason.
Same story with the Toshiba's, like the 2SA1302.

Give me a reason why it took so long for C-R-C filters to catch on ?

Let me guess: George down under probably had sparkling Shiraz and snails ?

Actually Jacco, downunder we have much tastier pests to eat
than snails (for example kangaroo fillet with caramelised pear and a red current glaze ), the sparkling shiraz however can be hard to beat.
I'm sure it has been instrumental in delaying many things , not just progress in the audio electronics field.
After few glasses progress seems less important and as I believe Nelson has suggested at an earlier time , things do sound better after a few reds, (C-R-C filter or not.)
Cheers, here's to your health. :drink:

ps. please drink your sparkling shiraz chilled....

Actually George A, we have been flooded with Oz food for years.
The skippy fillets are already stacking up for Christmas eve, as the ostrich steaks. I heard NZ is dressing their sheep up as Kangaroo to compete.
No complaints here, Australia has been the culinary place to be for years, i have been into fusion food from day one.

I suppose you were referring to the Cangaroo-Red-Cangaroo filter ?
Thanks for the tip, i do enjoy the Shiraz, next glass i'll raise to you.

Jacco

And which design did you want to convert the Hafler into?
The two main problems are the lack of heatsink and the too-high rail voltage/too-low current--that is, if you intend to go class A.
Nelson once mentioned a class A circuit, but it required the export power transformer, not the domestic one. I've got a domestic DH-200 that has been the subject of some Evil Experiments (heh, heh, heh...), but those will have to wait until another day. Right now I'm embroiled in a line stage (commissioned work), a phono stage (discrete, solid state, passive EQ), and a dual headphone amp (also commissioned work). That's in addition to the usual Stuff and Things.
Oi! Us molers, we toil and toil... (Go read the Redwall series by Brian Jacques--wonderful stories, just wonderful.)

Grey

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
Suddenly a lot of interest in converting our Haflers into Pass amps! I do believe that you tempted us with a possible design a while back?:devilr:

Back then I thought Haflers came standard with a 240 VAC
tap. They don't.

What I did, though, was run it at 1/2 voltage, build a simple
front end and bias the followers into pure Class A. My brother
still has it. At this late date, I have something else in mind for
a Hafler. Who wants to send me one? (120V is OK)

ZVP protection

I am at the end of the construction of a Zen V4 . This amp is for my brother; I would like to protect the input ZVP buffer instead of offer him fiew replacing fets in case of failure.

Attacched there is an arrangiament of back to back zeners plus a 220ohm resistor ,

is it good , or should I place the zeners elsewhere ?

Attachments

• zvprotection.jpg
    zvprotection.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 638