DIY progress report

Re: Zen nameplate

Blues said:

Mr. Pass, here's my design for my Zen v4 project. I am recommending it for adoption as the Zen nameplate for its simplicity and cool looks :cool:

Oops here's the design...I'm also looking for someone who can do engraving work on an aluminum plate or maybe etched on a silver plated circuit board.

...can't attach 44kb jpg file!!!????? 100kb is supposed to be allowed.

try again...

Attachments

• zen v4.jpg
    zen v4.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 928
"I wouldn't want to put Bryston out of business. "

My first preamp was a Bryston 1B, I bought it abt 25 years ago from Lyric Hi-Fi in Athens.
I think it was the only solid state preamp that could stand up against Conrad-Johnsons at that time.
And at that time Bryston equipment came with a lifetime guarantee, not just the 25-year-guarantee they are offering nowadays ;)
Bryston, I think, is a perfect example of a reliable manufacturer of hi-fi equipment who will stay in business because of their committment to quality.

Nick

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
When I was there back in the Middle Ages, Telarc was using
Threshold amplifiers, but I have not had occasion to send
them any from Pass Labs. I have some photos of this, including
Stasis 1's cutting lacquers and a 4000 heating pizza. ;)

Aside from the question of whether they would want to use them,
Telarc does not buy amplifiers, and Pass Labs is too cheap to
give them away.

Bryston is a good choice for them - high power, reliable, and
light weight (they have to haul these things all over). :cool:

Middle age

Mr. Pass, when you was in middle age, I was only little bit younger. In this time you was in my " gallery of electronic Gods ", because I had imagine, that Stassis is the best " class A " amp principle and I had know, that is your work. I'm still mean the same and certainly I know, that in early ages of Telarc they was using Stassis PA ( Mr. Renner is not deaf ). When I give you one question, I know, that it will be like to ***** to the wasp nest, but I must : Why you, as precision electronic engineer, are doing now amps, which is against Stassis principle step back and are objectively worse than Stassis ? You, as precision electronic engineer, certainly know, that with simply circuits miracle parameters is not possible to do, physics have own border. Your today's amps have good parameters, considering that they are so simply, but in my opinion Stassis was much better, isn't true ? If you can't, you must not answering.

Upupa,
Being the owner of two Threshold S-500s, I can testify that the newer designs sound better in my estimation. The S-500 (a Stasis design, by the way) sounds somewhat clouded by comparison. I've relegated them to my subs. I use tubes and Aleph variants from 70Hz on up.
As I read it, your point of view seems to be based on published specifications and philosophical agreement with the Stasis concept. It's an old debate, and one that is unlikely to be solved to be solved to everyone's satisfaction any time soon. I learned the hard way--by spending lots of money--that chasing decimal points doesn't lead to good sound. Quite the opposite, usually. However, there's no way to 'prove' that except by listening to a lot of gear, in a lot of combinations, under a lot of circumstances...in comparison to live, unamplified music. I was fortunate in that I worked in a store with sporadic pretensions to high end back in the '80s and was able to hear an awful lot of stuff for extended periods without having to pay for it. It was a pivotal experience.
I concluded that most of what I owned was crap and sold it.
The term 'professional' is vague. The most I assume (and sometimes even that is granting too much) is that so-called professional equipment will be able to take a certain amount of abuse without breaking. It most certainly doesn't have any implications as to sound quality.
One of the hats I wear is as a bassist. I have heard, owned, and played through a lot of 'professional' gear. The times that I've run across a piece that I would tolerate in my home system are few and far between. I've got a Hafler DH-500 (the 'pro' version, whatever they called it) that I have on occasion used to drive my subs. There are a few Crown amps that have acquired a reputation over the years, although I've never owned a piece of Crown. Even that's not saying a lot, as Hafler and Crown are both pretty much mid-fi at best. And they're about as good as it gets. Frequently, professional is a synonym for 'loud.'
Choosing something because someone else uses it, whether it's a car driven by a celebrity, a baseball bat used by a prominent sports figure, or a piece of electronics used by a recording studio, isn't necessarily going to confer any benefit on the man on the street. In short, it's often an advertising ploy. If manufacturer X gives recording label A a rack of equipment, it costs them money. But they give it willingly because they know that people will be impressed that A uses it. It's marketing; just another form of advertising. The studio gets free (or reduced cost) equipment, the equipment manufacturer sells more equipment because of it, and consumers are happy because of the aura of coolness that goes along with the equipment. Everybody's happy.
Does Telarc make good recordings? Sure. Some are better than others, though.
But I've got a question for you.
Are their not-so-good sounding recordings due to their use of a particular piece of equipment?

Grey

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Middle age

Upupa Epops said:
Why you, as precision electronic engineer, are doing now amps, which is against Stassis principle step back and are objectively worse than Stassis ? You, as precision electronic engineer, certainly know, that with simply circuits miracle parameters is not possible to do, physics have own border. Your today's amps have good parameters, considering that they are so simply, but in my opinion Stassis was much better, isn't true ?

Some of this depends on how you view the role of the amplifier
or any other piece in the chain. Maybe you want the piece to
measure very accurately on the assumption that this is the most
faithful rendering, or maybe you just want to be happy.

I am reminded of Picasso - he was fully capable of rendering
photographic quality in a painting, and would occasionally
embed such a thing within an abstract work, possibly as a
rasberry to those who thought he couldn't paint. I'm kind of
like that. Like every Halcro and his brother, I've built amps that
measure in parts per million distortion, but I never really warmed
up to it, and my stuff has progressively gotten simpler and
"objectively inferior".

Now that I'm an upper-middle-class old fart, I do what I want
for the most part, and at this moment that means listening to
J-lows with light bulb amps while I assemble computers to give to
the local school. Pretty soon I'll pop open a modest Cabernet