DIY PPE for aerosol borne contaminant avoidance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I agree regarding any virus picked up on clothes, shoes etc wont be any different than if I went to the store with just a mask.

They talk about "viral load", which I assume is the amount of virus you pick up by attending some situation with other people. They say there's a difference in whether you get sick depending on how much you initially take in. Though the hepa bag I used isnt vetted by anyone in this regard, I have to believe it's better than breathing in "straight" air. And, it's what I had on hand to construct something with. I could instead just made a mask out of it, but I wanted to try for something better, albeit less convenient / more weird.

The source of the statement was a link buried somewhere in the now closed thread. It simply resonated with me; "so that's why all those Biogen folks got sick; they were all in a room together having an all-day-long meeting". That's all it took - being together over time. Perhaps they did some stupid "team building" exercise that involved everyone touching everyone else, but I think it was the aerosol vector that got their viral loads on.

I do realize what's available to read on the subject covers all 4 quadrants and you really have to put your BS filter in effect. There are some who think, obviously, "no problem meow". I think Big Problem what can I do to mitigate it just using stuff I have on hand?

hello,

First I hope all is ok at home.

I you click on my2 links signature (the 2 sites are daily updated if something is new as surface/room cleaning contamination knowledge about this virus), you will have all the plenty information you need too about profilaxy as well (how to do at home, etc). The CDC pages are really High End Information, I live in Europe and I find it's clear, easy to read, saw few sites with such a good looking to read. It's my reference today for cv-19 behavior.

Don't forgett (hard to do) to not focus too much on the crisis and spend good times with anything else, music, good film, reading, gardening if you lucky enough to hav a garden and phone to close people :)

Cool device you made. :worship: ...

Some studies have been done on the effectiveness of regular tight weave cotton cloth when sewn into a mask in layers. This is not effective against, e.g. virus sized particles which are much less than 1 micron in size, however, for the aerosol transmission route this kind of barrier is actually pretty effective. The aerosol particles are not as small, and the material being hydrophyllic it can effectively "bind" the aerosol in the mask material, preventing it from reaching your mucosa. You must be able to somehow seal the edges of the mask against your face, maybe with some sticky substance or a rigid frame. I would encourage anyone to try to make a mask like this since the material is widely available.

More info:
A study compared different fabric types and layers to surgical and N95 masks. Cloth masks can block up to 50% of particles (surgical masks are 80%), and the best choice for filtration and breathability is a single layer of pillow case or T shirt fabric. These can be layered (2 layers) but doing that only improves the filtrations minimally. Some patterns have an inner pocket to add another filtration layer, some hospitals are asking for the community to make these for them and are asking for 4-layers.

Below are links to the reports (which are based on the peer reviewed studies)
Can DIY Masks Protect Us from Coronavirus? - Smart Air Filters
What Are The Best Materials for Making DIY Masks? - Smart Air Filters

Our local food shops are trying to keep everybody 2m apart and contactless as much as possible. It's very hard to get used to.

We are wiping down surfaces with bleachy stuff then washing our hands on return to our flats and rooms. Communal toilets and showers and laundries are just a problem. One poor soul is stuck in his room, on medical advice, with the snuffles and has problems breathing at the best of times.

With the benefit of hindsight, which is always 100% perfect, We should have cleaned up our act a month ago. All we can do now is slow this horror down, IMO.

Yes. "contactless" being the operative word. I also carry with me a spray bottle solution when I go out and am interested if there's something better than the 70% isopropyl I'm currently using. Bleach smells so nasty, but, better get used to it as it's cheap and effective, from what I've read.

Sort of interesting how this virus "takes advantage" of not being taken seriously, until it's too late when everyone's at the should of/could of/would of
point. "I should have put a ******* plastic bag over my head and pumped filtered air into it, back when I had the chance".

I was in a thrift store a couple weeks ago. There was an oxygen mask, brand new in a sealed bag, amongst the crutches and diapers. I had it right in my hand, but it didnt occur to me to buy it. If only I'd have the sense to take advantage of the opportunities I've been "given" by recognizing them as such...

These are common - I bet someone could hack together a similar outfit from this as an air pump -

Attachments

• Air pump.jpg
    Air pump.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 91
CONGRATULATIONS. INCREDIBLE CREATIITY AND SKILL And clearly it attacked the technical problem the right way. Thanks for providing full component details so others can try to clone it.

Thanks! One detail I left out - the vacuum bag is filled with "corn starch peanuts" the bio-alternate to styro-peanuts for shipping cushioning. To keep it from collapsing, as there is a slight vacuum in there. I hope it's OK to breathe air that has flown over / around those things. I'm still alive today, I seem to be OK after an hour in it yesterday.

hello,

First I hope all is ok at home.

Don't forgett (hard to do) to not focus too much on the crisis and spend good times with anything else, music, good film, reading, gardening if you lucky enough to hav a garden and phone to close people :)

Cool device you made. :worship: ...

Thank-you - so far, all is good. I do have a garden and there's lots of outdoor work to be done on it - as soon as the rain stops. I have my Zoudio amp to play with and listen to music a little (during meal time) every day. I still think engineering a solution to some need is fun for me. This "why not make my own atmosphere, then?" really hooked me until it was "done".

I appreciate the sites in your footer - I've clicked on those back when the now closed thread was active!

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Good to know and easy, thank you Charlie for the links.

Yes not usefull to panic much. I just use a saw mask to prevent from sneezing people or the few not respecting the 6 feets when you take something off shelf at the shop/supermarket. Think it's maybe usful in building lifts for the same reason. Air is as humidity, people sweat and breath in confined spaces... Not at the supermarket.

Doctors and hospital staffs are exposed because the concentration in small spaces if you read into lines, physical contact, typically medical staffs right now. Have you ever tried to wear a N95 mask for 4 hours... the greater risk is you often touch the face, the mask without consciousness then touch an handoor so expose the staff, etc .
It's not a chimic war like in some movie. Stay cool, just duty about physical distanciation and minimum care about cleaning the hands and surfaces are allowed. Also for some solidarity, not to have sport, bicycle in the street. 1 hour outside daily is enough for the legs, dogs (twice or three times), D Vitamin. But eating fresh food is important too (don't eat just cans and freezed food only)

As I'm not sure about shoes and cv-19 outside/inside, I stopped vacuum cleaning if virus would be flighted on dust I walked on (alcholic spray can fix the soles and inners), but I believe it's too much paranoid...

CDC: they are serious, they saay masks is needed only when people are close for a long time: hence the physical distanciation, but the drops and sneezing noses or very little space without fresh air, keep relax. They also say panic is dangerous for the spirit , you can see there is a cdc chapter in the faqs with advices. So the masks are good to keep calm for worried people : not shamy to wear one if you want, here in Europe you see it daily - (but keep the n95 for medical staffs please).

Today I read some diy hifi links members has given to me, then going to watch again The Party, and maybe a Rick & Morty to smile :)

Last edited:
Some studies have been done on the effectiveness of regular tight weave cotton cloth when sewn into a mask in layers. This is not effective against, e.g. virus sized particles which are much less than 1 micron in size, however, for the aerosol transmission route this kind of barrier is actually pretty effective. The aerosol particles are not as small, and the material being hydrophyllic it can effectively "bind" the aerosol in the mask material, preventing it from reaching your mucosa. You must be able to somehow seal the edges of the mask against your face, maybe with some sticky substance or a rigid frame. I would encourage anyone to try to make a mask like this since the material is widely available.

More info:
A study compared different fabric types and layers to surgical and N95 masks. Cloth masks can block up to 50% of particles (surgical masks are 80%), and the best choice for filtration and breathability is a single layer of pillow case or T shirt fabric. These can be layered (2 layers) but doing that only improves the filtrations minimally. Some patterns have an inner pocket to add another filtration layer, some hospitals are asking for the community to make these for them and are asking for 4-layers.

Below are links to the reports (which are based on the peer reviewed studies)
Can DIY Masks Protect Us from Coronavirus? - Smart Air Filters
What Are The Best Materials for Making DIY Masks? - Smart Air Filters

I had seen those sites (or similar) and that's where I got the vacuum bag idea for the primary filter. The site said they're pretty effective, but hard to breathe through as a mask material. Not hard for the pump motor to breathe through the whole bag, vs one mouth-size spot in that material. I couldnt believe it when I stumbled upon several "HEPA certified" bags amongst my junk - for a vacuum I dont own. Maybe I was thinking I could somehow adapt them to my Kenmore...

I also recognized the "You must be able to somehow seal the edges of the mask against your face" problem, plus the contact transmission problem as mask wearers may unconsciously "adjust" the mask from time to time. Masks ideally need to be custom fit to the users face shape. Imagining a shopping mall business where customers get their face scanned, then come back in an hour for a 3D printed mask with perfect fit. (Maybe let that one stay in the imagination)

"I should have put a ******* plastic bag over my head and pumped filtered air into it, back when I had the chance".

:rofl:

Your wife must have a great sense of humor, too, if she's going out with you like that!

Does it vent into your jacket?

I bet someone could hack together a similar outfit from this as an air pump

An oxygen pump or tank (too much O2 when enclosed?) or scuba gear could be helpful for those who have it.

Aside: A terrible late-night railroad accident in the 70's released a large cloud of Cl2 gas around a track next to Hwy 231 in N. Florida. Some people were stuck in it because enough oxygen was displaced to shut their cars down. One person had his scuba gear with him and managed to save a few lives with it, IIRC it was a pretty long way to safety. I remember seeing the tank cars laying beside the track for quite a while afterwards.

:rofl: Your wife must have a great sense of humor, too, if she's going out with you like that! Does it vent into your jacket?

Well it still remains to be seen if she'll actually go out with me - she says she will.:tilt:

Yes it does vent out under the jacket. Hopefully, at ~10-12 liters/minute, most of the atmosphere inside the bag will ultimately be filtered air.

That certainly must have been scary to have your car stop running, then you cant breathe. Fast thinking on the part of the fellow who had his scuba gear at hand.

I imagine something similar to the bag could be made out of a full face motorcycle helmet, with a neck gather - I think they have those for when it's cold. I no longer have a motorcycle helmet.

God save the queen - I hope she doesnt get it. I cant imagine being a politician / head of state in this crisis, where you have to meet with lots of people, discuss lot of things, usually within a closed space of some sort -

I would be concerned about insufficient air flow. Try it at home for an extended period of time and be prepared to rip it off quickly if you start suffering CO2 overload.

Test a set of fully charged batteries for run time.

The bag will pop off in an instant - nothing holding it in place save the gather around my neck, provided by the jacket collar.

I tested it with a fully charged battery set. After an hour run time, the batteries still measured 12V. I believe the batteries are 3.5 AH, while the pump draws 1.5A (spec, I havent measured it). So it makes sense I wouldnt deplete them fully.

I wouldnt do strenuous activity in this thing, like go dancing. But just pushing a shopping cart around should be light work. (I wish I had one of those pulse oxymeters to see how my O2 changes when wearing it in time) Certainly a very temporary measure! Hopefully effective and safe enough, considering.

Maiden voyage today; we went to Wally and Winko - two stores, about 45 minutes in Wally, 1/2 hour in Winko.

Other people either responded positively (as indicated by a smile) or just ignored me. I think someone (a Wally worker) photographed me with their cell phone. A little girl in a cart seat looked up at me, as if curious. I chatted with a couple store employees, explaining my getup was an experiment. No one seemed to be freaked out -

I pulled off the bag when I reached the car; my wife unloaded and after I put the cart away, I decontaminated my hands with the alcohol spray. Off to Winko -

It's somewhat more than a walk in the park to wear this thing. I can definitely sense some measure of stress on my cardiovascular, but no where near where I'm actually getting dizzy or like after jogging a mile. My wife wanted to dally, go look at the flowers in the garden section, pick one to buy - while I wanted to hurry. I just kept my mouth shut and went with it, figuring it's a test of this system. The cooler air outside was refreshing.

Definitely need to wipe out the inside of the bag between stores and of course I brought along nothing to do so. So the second trip had moisture buildup a little more dense than the 1st; I was still able to navigate about, operate the self checkout kiosk, looking up vegetables and typing in codes that didnt scan. Mounting the exhaust tube on a headband such that it blows at the plastic bag in front of your eyes in one way to keep that area fog free.

I measured the battery pack (under pump motor load) after we arrived home and got everything unpacked. Better that 14V. Unsure if lithium batteries "bounce back" in voltage level after current load disconnect; if not, the 3.5AH battery pack seems to be adequate for such a trip. Maybe I should have measured this at the car -

Most people in the stores were carrying on as usual, maybe a small percentage were wearing masks. There was a surprising number present for a Saturday morning, however the checkouts were line free. A Winko worker at the checkout remarked to me it's way more crowded just after the 1st of the month.

I may look into doubling the flow rate by adding a second pump operating in parallel. Pump noise is nothing, relative to background noise level in the stores.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Wow. Respect!!
You are truly infected with the DIY-Virus and have a lot of self consciousness.
I hope noone sneezes in your back. Not sure if this will give you a full load.
Thanks a lot for sharing your project.
I wish the best for you and anyone else.
Stay safe!

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Maiden voyage today; we went to Wally and Winko - two stores, about 45 minutes in Wally, 1/2 hour in Winko.

Other people either responded positively (as indicated by a smile) or just ignored me. I think someone (a Wally worker) photographed me with their cell phone. A little girl in a cart seat looked up at me, as if curious. I chatted with a couple store employees, explaining my getup was an experiment. No one seemed to be freaked out -

I pulled off the bag when I reached the car; my wife unloaded and after I put the cart away, I decontaminated my hands with the alcohol spray. Off to Winko -

It's somewhat more than a walk in the park to wear this thing. I can definitely sense some measure of stress on my cardiovascular, but no where near where I'm actually getting dizzy or like after jogging a mile. My wife wanted to dally, go look at the flowers in the garden section, pick one to buy - while I wanted to hurry. I just kept my mouth shut and went with it, figuring it's a test of this system. The cooler air outside was refreshing.

Definitely need to wipe out the inside of the bag between stores and of course I brought along nothing to do so. So the second trip had moisture buildup a little more dense than the 1st; I was still able to navigate about, operate the self checkout kiosk, looking up vegetables and typing in codes that didnt scan. Mounting the exhaust tube on a headband such that it blows at the plastic bag in front of your eyes in one way to keep that area fog free.

I measured the battery pack (under pump motor load) after we arrived home and got everything unpacked. Better that 14V. Unsure if lithium batteries "bounce back" in voltage level after current load disconnect; if not, the 3.5AH battery pack seems to be adequate for such a trip. Maybe I should have measured this at the car -

Most people in the stores were carrying on as usual, maybe a small percentage were wearing masks. There was a surprising number present for a Saturday morning, however the checkouts were line free. A Winko worker at the checkout remarked to me it's way more crowded just after the 1st of the month.

I may look into doubling the flow rate by adding a second pump operating in parallel. Pump noise is nothing, relative to background noise level in the stores.
Do you have a vent hole in the bag large enough to exhaust but small enough to maintain inflation?

Great Handy work!

I was able to get a full face industrial type 3M 6800 mask (cheapest type) in Canada with the 2 bayonet lock on filters on Tues last week. I ordered it a week before. The more expensive ones have bigger filters for them and come in one size so (so likely more comfortable) and the positive overhead ones like you made would be likely more $ also!

I wonder if you could make a manifold for the 3M lock on bayonet filters and use say 4 for great airflow. The P100 rated disk filters would give you top protection and start at $4 ea in Canada.

If possible what brand/ model is your pump. I would like to make something similar for painting/welding with very toxic materials that I could bring fresh outside air into. Maybe need several pumps there!

Do you have a vent hole in the bag large enough to exhaust but small enough to maintain inflation?

The bag really isnt pressurized - it just leaks out under the jacket I'm wearing. The idea is that eventually, ultimately the bag is filled with "filtered" air - and there's enough volume that my inhale wont suck in anything that's not filtered - from underneath my jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.