DIY OTTAWA WINTER 2012

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Captivating lecture :D. (Seriously it was really good)
Note the fancy acoustic treatment in the background.

Attachments

• DSC_0100.jpg
    DSC_0100.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 223
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Owen broke the laws of physics again, and stuffed more audio gear in his car than there is volume :worship:

His work-in-progress dipole speakers were perfect for the large room. Massive midrange drivers. Very nice sound.

First time I hear a DL-103 is on his table at the show. Now I understand why it's been manufactured since... oh... 1963!

He also brought "The Wire" amp. Here's an extra picture of it.

Attachments

• DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0043.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC_0052.jpg
    DSC_0052.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 206
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wolfgang kindly agreed to demonstrate his record cleaning technique. You can read about it on Audiokarma I think. He uses an old turntable, his homemade washing and rinse solutions, and a vacuum cleaner fitted with a mini vacuum attachment for keyboards. The secret is "the thumb." Who needs a VPI machine when you can DIY?

Attachments

• DSC_0113.jpg
    DSC_0113.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0106.jpg
    DSC_0106.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0110.jpg
    DSC_0110.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 94
By the way, don't be deceived by the size or color of the little 5 inch drivers. ...You should see their magnets.

Or hear them fill a 600 sq.ft. room with clean organ pedal and kettle drum using reasonable power and excursion. I'm still trying to figure out where Mark hid the sub.

Thanks for an entertaining afternoon all, some genuinely impressive work on display.

Last edited:
well ive got to say i'm impressed at both the turnout, quality and variety of gear on show. looks like organisers, exhibitors and participants had strong showings.

@ George: i think i know the answer, but 8 channels of NTD1 or similar in the one case with exa? a dac that dissipates more than many poweramps is not really too marketable a solution for the masses, but for those with the commitment i'm yet to like anything better either

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pierre is the kind soul that gets the arrangements done for the venue every time. Without him we have nothing. So a tip of the hat to the hard work you did Pierre. Thank you!

You're welcome Mark. Really it's no work at all. Everybody is very helpful and the event unfolds at its own pace. I'm just glad people show up and seem to have a good time.

You and Ron have been helpful in many ways and I want you both to know it is appreciated.

Pierre

On a more commercial front, Is there anyone showing up at the Montreal audio show this march?

It would be fun to gather together at the show then have a couple beers and chat about audio passion!

Salon Son & Image

I'm going on Saturday the 24th

While we're waiting for Pierre's event next year!

Ciao!
Do

I was hoping to go down to the show on the 24th too, but an engagement on Saturday precludes that, so I'm hoping to check it out on Sunday..

Nice collection of gear by the way... ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.