DIY OTTAWA WINTER 2012

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys!

Just a quick note to offer up my old Hakko soldering station. It's free to a good home, and first one to bite gets it.

I just bought a new iron, and no longer have a use for this one.

It's not the prettiest iron, but it has full temp control, a good solid stand, and several different tips, most of which are new. Every now and then it wigs out a little and says "TMP OFF" on the display, but everything seems to be fine when this happens, and a jiggle of the cable makes it go away.

I was going to toss it, but I figure there must be a few people here who are still using one of those horrible Weller guns with the trigger and the tips that last about 4 minutes.

Let me know if you're interested, it's available all next week for pickup.

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• IMG_7207.JPG
    IMG_7207.JPG
    426.2 KB · Views: 220
an absolute legend of a solder station! you can see just by looking at the picture how much use this thing has had. I still use a 936 and while its getting pretty beat up; it still works a treat. i'll get a new station one of these days, but not through need.

Hi everyone,
Hope you are having a good spring and getting lots of builds done!
Two things I wanted to share/ask about.
First, the Catholic school board is apparently selling off their tablesaws, replacing them with Sawstop models. I picked up a Unisaw in good shape, at a good price, this past weekend. It was being sold by a teacher at Louis Riel school, here in Blackburn Hamlet, on behalf of the school. If you are looking for a saw, check with the closest Catholic school that has a shop program.
Second, I plan to get 1 or 2 ODACs. Anyone interested in doing a local group buy? If not I will order through jtkam in Toronto.
Cheers, John

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm with Mark on this one... keep the three phase motor and get a 3-phase converter!

It's cheaper than a new motor, and will perform better in the long run, especially if you power it from 230V. Some offer full speed control and soft start, both of which are great to have on a table saw.

Cheers,
Owen

yep a three phase motor is under power 1/3 longer per revolution that a standard two phase motor. That is why they seem stronger.

Plus the converters that are available let you vary the frequency as well, you can easily slow down the motor, and to a degree speed up the motor. The speed up part becomes a little dicey when you take into consideration you end up with losses in the windings due to inductance. These losses end up "lost" as excess heat. Not the friend of motors.

But the soft start is way cool!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.