DIY High End Studio Monitors

Spendormania have you had the chance to compare them to original (or ever heard one and have some memory about them)?
Unfortunately not.
interesting project and nice build, I was thinking about doing the same with DA classic subs, I would end up w up to 800$ just for woofers and DSPs, well, a bit more than I would spend on a experience, do you have a thread for your Kii clone ? i would like to read more about your experience.
Der Kii THREE Nachbauthread, Lautsprecher - HIFI-FORUM I wouldn't use Dayton DA 175. Not enough x-max. My recommendation is the Reckhorn D165. Very strong bass for small money, easy to equalize.
reckhorn-d165-entzerrung_637151.jpg
- D-165 Subwoofer Chassis"
I do not know how to create different latencies in the same loudspeakers at the back I think the rear speaker latency should be about 4 milliseconds
You don't have to create different latencies to get the cardioid. Just set the front speakers delay in relation to the rear distance and reverse the polarity of the rear woofers. That's all.
Kii and Dutch&Dutch8C use extensive DSP and include rear Cardiod woofers. Dutch&Dutch8C measurement data shows very good directivity down to 100-200Hz.
The 8Cs rear woofers are not working as cardioid woofers. They are real subwoofers with a crossover under 100 Hz.
nice build (and nice garden)
Thanks. But the garden is the playground of my wife ;).
Great! The theory behind Kii's cardioid bass is different from ME Geithain's? I'm very interested.
Geithain uses a passive flow resistor like @Jag768 did, the Kii works active and with delays.

Very interesting quote from S.Linkwitz, thank you.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Some may find it paradoxical that Linwitz finds better localization from a Toole-like ambient dipole-sort-of speaker as compared to a point-source. And somewhat more reverb the better, he says.

He wrote an interesting JAES early-2000s article comparing an in-the-round speaker with his familiar OB. When he added a rear-facing tweeter, he liked his OB as much as the in-the-round speaker.

Again, a conflict between what we DIY enthusiasts would consider a great HiFi speaker and what makes sense in the layout of a studio.

B.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Alex Music are you familiar with microphone technology? Most unidirectional dynamic microphne use gradient pressure membrane ( suspended membrane with open front and back, like a ribbon, dipole) coupled to a 'acoustical labyrinth' for the backside. This is the way to create cardio, super, hyper the passive way. (This is the purpose of slot opening on the body of EV re20 for example). In loudspeaker design this is the Gethain way.

Afaik all condensator microphone use both side of a condensator membrane, each side being cardio and polarity reversed one to the other. By changing level and polarity of one versus the other ( by changing biasing scheme of capsule) you have an active way of change the directivity behavior. Ths is the Kii way equivalent.

Ben, I find the attitude of Linkwitz very honnest and scientific in his attitude. Yes recreational and professional listening have different requirements and the point is to understand why in my view. One way is not better than the other, just a preference thing in what you favor.

Mitchba, This is high praise review from the Kii. I hope i could listen to them in future.

Last edited:
ive done some ATC/Quested 3 way Studio monitors and they are impressive! activated by Hypex fusion amp 253. Got the Drivers from A.O.S (Volt, scan speak).
had some K&H O300 for years and theres no comparison... sold them ;)

the SPL is +/- 4db measured in listening position (2 meters)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ive done some ATC/Quested 3 way Studio monitors and they are impressive! activated by Hypex fusion amp 253. Got the Drivers from A.O.S (Volt, scan speak).
had some K&H O300 for years and theres no comparison... sold them ;)

the SPL is +/- 4db measured in listening position (2 meters)

Attachments

• cm38m.jpg
    cm38m.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 527
I understud technology behind this speakers. Thanks for the help. Which one is better? Reckhorn D165 Omnes Audio SW 6.01 D165 ar QTS=0.30 Can be used in the sealed enclosure? kii Three have 70 ms latency, that is not good for live tracking. From this moment I remove the kii three design. I will build my monitors according to the Barefoot or Dutch & Dutch design. Latency (delaying the signal between input and output): Kii Three = 90ms (Why so much?) Dutch & Dutch 8C = 34ms (Why so much?) Barefoot = 1.5ms (~0.5m) Am I wrong?

Both the Kii THREE and D&D 8c have a low latency mode of operation of ~1ms, which makes them fine for tracking.

Time alignment of drivers and the bounce off the front wall, requires a linear phase FIR filter which means latency. Which is fine for mixing/mastering music.

Here is the difference in step (i.e. timing) response for the Kii's in phase linear and mininmum latency modes: Kii Audio Three loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

Charles, :D sure we agree share some things in common... modular, nearfield,Tannoy i'm sure we have a lot of lp in common too... :D

I'd be very surprised if there were no overlap in our record collections! :) I'd also be (pleasantly) surprised if there were a lot though. As for the subject of this thread I am not a great fan of a lot of DSP processing so I shall keep out of this on the whole.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Plasnu: i will play at "guess what the greeny is".
My answer:[Silent:arts]'s Dla-2a electrisizer's own implementation.
Harder is the 1u rack between the greeny and revA... i guess it is a... IJR Mixbuzz1!

What did i won? :D

More seriously both are (very) nice compressors. Dual la2a and a Ssl4000e/g mixbus comp variation.

Last edited:
Plasnu: i will play at "guess what the greeny is".
My answer:[Silent:arts]'s Dla-2a electrisizer's own implementation.
Harder is the 1u rack between the greeny and revA... i guess it is a... IJR Mixbuzz1!

What did i won? :D

More seriously both are (very) nice compressors. Dual la2a and a Ssl4000e/g mixbus comp variation.
GOT it man!!!! :D

the ssl 4000 style is the SB4000, IJR is very similar... i like DIY the studio stuff. especially building microphones is fun and let you create very high end sounding studio gear...

consider: you cant soffit mount speakers like Kii or 8c - if you want to go this route you better choose a classic speaker design.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Alex Music,
I really liked Hypex i've heard. But this was monoblock Ucd700 and Ncore400 with smps as psu.
I don't see why Bruno Putzey would have used non pristine quality gear in their Fusion range so i guess this should sound great and offer what you'll need the most within dsp software. If you don't run too much digital gear you can live with aes or spdif as clock source without problem, you have a wordclock source it could be a limitation here, otherwise you can go for it 100% confident.
B&O Ice amplifiers sound good too to me.Don't know about the dsp though.
Never heard the other brands.

Last edited: