DIY full range speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
YouTube recordings are so convolved with all the other kit in the recording & playback chain.

No way of knowing what is causing what. I know that song and the YouTube is but a shadow of it.

Looks like a Dayton PS220 from the phase plugs in the box — a driver i have heard breifly and it has potential. That box might be too small for it thou — the mniOnken i designed for it, and miniOnkens tend to small, is large enuff to reach the floor.

dave

Cube audio posts diy cabinets drawings with their most "affordable" driver, the Fc8. Choices are voigt pipe, base reflex or tqwt cabinet. I am planning on going to go with the tqwt cabinet with the fc8. Still trying to find more favorable reviews regarding this driver or the Bliss C speaker based on this driver. Maybe this is something that would work for you as well?

Hello all,

In 2011 using only simple tools I made a pair of Frugel-Horn Mk3s from the original plans. I took my own cutting layout into B&Q and I paid £17 for the 18mm MDF. I bought some pillow stuffing for £2 on eBay and used some of my wifes hanging basket felt to the rear of the drivers, and I bought 1 new tool an adjustable angle checker £1.50. I splashed out a load of dosh for the drivers about £60 for a pair of MA CHP-70's.

9 years later I am still listening to them, my original source was a Philip CD723 bought for £10 and much modified for £20. Two years ago I bought an LG cd/dvd player £28, which made my CD723 sound like Monty Pythons Parrot.

A few weeks I bought an XH-M590 TPA3116D2 Class D board £7.80 incl post and a 12V (the CHP_70's are 4 Ohm) 8.5 Amp SMPS £9. It's a joke! Class A with no heat. The guys at Texas Instruments designed the best possible amp, again!

Through these changes the FH3s have sounded better each time, 40 Hz - 12k Hz my hearing stops at 10k my wife can hear the 12. In my opinion they are the best FRs ever designed, from plain song to Mahler, from Bessie Smith to the latest Tangerine Dream trio. And all at concert volume in my little audio room at the back of the garage.

Cheers -J

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.