DIY CD drive based on a computer CDROM

I found this..

Attachments

• dacak4395.jpg
    dacak4395.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 8,175
I have read this thread and I'm VERY interested. I was thinking of making my own cd-player with a cd-rom drive earlier, because I have almost all parts lying around.

It is important to limit the drive speed with the uC's software, so the drive will be silent.

DJ suggested Firewire as digital out, but that is not reachable, because we are now talking about 400MB/s.

The things I NEED on a DIY cd player are:
-remote control (RC5)
-control buttons
-good digital out --> spdif
-Display (5x7 dot ledmatrix :nod: retro)
-Times (howlong, reminding, track, etc.)

The things I WANT on a cd player:
-Buffer memory
-PITCH control
-Nice retro looks
-Firmware upgrade port (RS232)

Would it be possible to integrate pitch control in the software? Or is that too difficult?

I prefer the AVR uC's (ATmega), because I have them lying around here. And they are firmware upgradeble with a bootloader. With that you can even upgrade from cd.

Konnichiwa,

Douchekop said:

Would it be possible to integrate pitch control in the software? Or is that too difficult?

Well, if use async read and the ATA interface it should be fine, simply define an adjustable float relationship between master clock and output clock on S/P DIF.

HOWEVER, most decent external DAC's do not like "varispeed" too well, so it makes most sense with an I2S interface.

BTW, having a few % pitch is a good idea, as pitching music slightly flat of 440Hz can give a more "relaxing" perception and pitching it sharp will make it seem more "energetic" (no kidding - it is important to hit the right frequency too).

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang said:
And a controller with all the requirements listed above is available as Kit from www.diyzone.net so all we would need to get this working is a group buy which includes someone who writes and reads chinese in the group.

It should be no problem to send email to DIYZone in English,
as long as specifying clear subject so that they won't
overlook. We Taiwanese all suffer from hundreds of garbage
English emails daily. :mad:
DIYZone is run by a group of educated young men,
and their products are sold via http://www.my3c.net
who takes Visa/Master card.
Unfortunately I heard that the 4395 DAC kit is no longer available
because of some technical problems. This 4395 kit seems to be an
experimental probject and only about 100 pcs produced.
Maybe you could wait for the next version hopefully.

Also I heard some similar quality kits are available in China
with much lower cost which maybe worth a try.

;)

Konnichiwa,

kry said:

We Taiwanese all suffer from hundreds of garbage
English emails daily. :mad:

Hey, not ONLY you on Formosa! In Europe we get equally swamped with Spam, mostly out of Taiwan and Mainland China I'd have to note... :-(

Maybe if you can get the secret police to attend to spammers instead of the opposition...?

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,

Hey, not ONLY you on Formosa! In Europe we get equally swamped with Spam, mostly out of Taiwan and Mainland China I'd have to note... :-(

Maybe if you can get the secret police to attend to spammers instead of the opposition...?

Sayonara

My apologies if there's any misunderstainding. Maybe I sould
say I receive hundreds of unwanted emails in English
and Chinese daily. AND those in Chinese are easy to filter out,
while those in English are not. Usually I may overlook and
delete those emails with subjects in English from my friends.
Those guys in DiyZone may probably have the same difficulty.
Wish my point is stated clear now.

:eek:

Kuei Yang Wang said:
And a controller with all the requirements listed above is available as Kit from www.diyzone.net so all we would need to get this working is a group buy which includes someone who writes and reads chinese in the group.

Kuei, IMHO the most cost effective way is to buy a Chinese-made entry level VCD player or DVD player. They got CDROM/DVDROM as the transport and data/control though ATA/IDE. You may start your project on the base of this player and save you lots of work on controlling that CDROM . And still you may replace the CDROM with whatever model you like or a decent power mod.
The CDROM kit on DIYZONE is just not very mature and cost too high when compared to such a VCD player.

OK, an update on the specs since I have obviously missed a few things.

ORIGINAL:
- 5 or more control buttons
- remote control
- buffer memory (8 or 16Mb should be MORE than enough)
- digital out (SPDIF)
- LCD display

ADDED:
- serial port for firmware upgrades
- CDDB data storage

In regard to MGB's idea for CDDB, I also think it would be a neat feature, but I don't believe we need extra memory chip/s for it. By implementing some smart (but not difficult) memory management we can use the same memory for everything (buffer & CDDB etc).

In regard to Kuei's question about how to obtain the data from the CD, I also believe the ATA interface would be the best choice. As stated before, I'm not into the kit building thing, my way of DIY is do it all myself (perhaps with some help) from scratch.

Any more suggestions for features etc would be welcome until Friday. Then I plan to start looking at controllers' specs to find one suitable for our project.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

DJ

Just to keep you on track, that's the way I would like to go:

To keep the whole thing somewhat easy to build, I would stick to microcontrollers in a DIP-package. 40 pin types are widely availeable, which usually have 32 I/O pins for external connections.
The ATA interface needs 24 pins, the serial programming interface needs 3.
This leaves us 5 pins for the display, the keyboard and remote. As the connection of a standard LCD (4 bit mode) requires 7 lines, this tends to be a little tight :D.
It would be possible to expand the I/O capabilities of such a chip with external logic, but I would like to the other way - which means using a second controller.
The first is the big one (40 pin type); this one should make the ATA interface.
I very much tend to use an Atmel AT Mega16 (Datasheet summary: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/2466s.pdf); it may be somewhat big for this application but leaves us some performance reserves.
The second controller may be an Atmel AT Mega 8 (Datasheet summary: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/2486s.pdf). It is a 28 pin device and should cover display issus, keyboard, RC5 - again with some reserve.

Communication between both chips could be done with the "Two Wire Interface". This is a rather powerful interface, refer to the datasheet for more.
The first board is going to be finished in a few days (the ATA interface), it measures about 60x50 millimeters.

More to follow...

DVD player?

The problem with those chines made VCD or DVD players is that they are designed with video in mind, not audio. Usualy they contain some kind of DSP which are hard to program (I know, I've tried) and you probably end up reverse enginering the whole thing. DSP is nice when you want to decode MP3 but not for something "simple" as controlling a cdrom player. Besides, they are not that cheap.

MGB