DIY Cables – Only controversial snake oil or is there more to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DIY Cables – Only controversial snake oil or is there more to it?

You can argue on this topic for a long time, or you can just make a cable. And hear everything with your ears.
I made the cable as described in the article.

Северный прибой - Сетевик М

I made the cable as described in the article. I listened. Then I made the same for all components of my system. Then he did it for friends who came to me to listen to music.

We all love technology and music here. Everyone has their own experience, their knowledge, their own stereo system.
It's just as easy to do, listen and understand if it's worth spending your time and money on it.

Good luck and pleasure to everyone from DIY

You can argue on this topic for a long time, or you can just make a cable. And hear everything with your ears.

That looks like it would pass most electrical safety standards. :eek:

Whenever I see these DIY power cable 'recipes' (to quote the strangely missing OP) I get an irresistable urge to watch a true cinematic classic... ;)

Attachments

• tti.jpg
    tti.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 170

Северный прибой - Сетевик М
First red flag was that half the article speaks about absolutely unrelated "adhesion" , probably as a "scientific" filler.
Never mentioned explaining the actual "cable" section.

Second was that DIYer uses 8 core wire.
Not 8 relatively thin flexible ones , which would be normal, but 8 pencil lead diameter very rigid ones, bending that cable will take some effort and will definitely keep any shape you give it.

Then he proceeds to remove boring old fashioned insulation
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and then replace it with loosely handwound fishing tackle.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

leaving huge copper areas exposed.

Since that is "shortcircuit City" he proceeds to individually heatshrink them:

It is acknowledged that cables are directional :rolleyes: so approppriate action is taken when twisting them:
Antiphasic in the general screen. 8 cores alternate + - + - + - + -, the ground in the center with the same section as in phase and zero. When twisting the cores into a bundle, the direction of the conductors was taken into account.

Then they are wrapped in kitchen quality aluminum foil ... I guess a bare wire is included to allow grounding

Is it worth the hassle? (And the official safety rules breaking)?

Well, it is claimed that:
When compared with conventional cables, it gives a very noticeable increase in sound quality, precise focusing, correct positioning of the sound source in space.
so yes, it meets most of the snake oil approved key words.

Wht I expect from a fancy DIY power cable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.