DIY Audio Ottawa 21-22 Feb 2015

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well we all survived another one.
[...]
Pierre's carefully tweaked system. A very clean sounding horn loaded compression driver with a 15" TAD sealed enclosure. Very well damped but not to dry. [...]

Everyone - I forgot to mention that it is Mark who made the sealed enclosures. Thank you Mark for these, and for your tremendous help throughout the weekend.

5D3_7789_tn_zpsf9lngwql.jpg

Can somebody throw some light on the design of the small bookshelf speakers, with what appears to be Tymphany Kevlar-cone 3.5" full-rangers (between the Cornu spirals) in the picture above? Thanks.

Mark showed up with some speakers I didn't get a chance to hear on Saturday but they were very much under construction. How'd they turn out?

Well, Dave, Owen and I dialed in the crossover in about an hours worth of work.

Dave and I gave the suggested crossover points and Owen, the crossover Meister did the dirty work.

They ended up being one of the most balanced speakers at the meeting. Wolfgang spent some quality time with them.

Having the aid of Owen and Dave was great. Three guys who know what they are doing made light work of a crossover.

I enjoyed listening to Dave Ella Fitzgerald tracks on both my speakers and his little guys. Very interesting comparison. So close, that it was basically an extension on the bottom end that was the differentiating factor.

Grant if you want to take them for a spin I'd be happy to set them up for you at your place. Give me a chance to listen to your Pi speakers to!

Can somebody throw some light on the design of the small bookshelf speakers, with what appears to be Tymphany Kevlar-cone 3.5" full-rangers (between the Cornu spirals) in the picture above? Thanks.

I believe that they were Tang Band wide range speakers.

They came from Dave I believe, and were part of one of our give away table events.

John made them (Multisync). But I think he is off on vacation right now.

They sounded quite balanced. As long as you are not expecting full orchestral levels from them of course.

I forget some peoples names, but I was talking to Tyler and umm (forgot your name) about a pretty cheap place to get pcb's made

Dirt Cheap Dirty Boards

10x 2 layer 5x5cm for $14 free shipping. Their max size is 10x10cm. Looking at the DAC tyler made I guess that size might be a problem.

seeedstudio's prices are about the same. (but have less size restrictions) Not sure what their shipping prices are though.

Lots and lots of options these days!

Hey All,
I'm really disappointed that I missed the 2015 get together. Sounds like a good time was had by all..

I was just reminiscing in my own mind about the last couple of meets, and I have a few questions:

Owen: Where do we line up for your cast off loudspeakers.. two years ago you had those great B&G Line sources.. now you show up with Horns.. ;)

Mark: What happened to the big Funk 8.7s? (for those not in the know, Mark brought them last year). I checked the Funk site and they are nowhere to be seen.. such a travesty.. Or are the one's you brought this hear a scaled down version?

I wish I had the room, but alas, my most serious listening system is going to be my Desktop system in my Den/Office.

As well as having the usual problem of too many projects and too little time..

Oh.. and someone asked for photos earlier in the thread (my job allows me to work from anywhere that has a decent internet connection, so I worked for 2 weeks and am vacationed for 2 weeks)

The first one is the view from the patio of the condo we rented, and the second is where we spent the day today (Grande Case Beach, St Martin)

Attachments

• image001a.jpg
    image001a.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 175
  • image002a.jpg
    image002a.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 163
Mark: What happened to the big Funk 8.7s? (for those not in the know, Mark brought them last year). I checked the Funk site and they are nowhere to be seen.. such a travesty.. Or are the one's you brought this hear a scaled down version?

I'm no longer associated with Funk Audio.

And the design work for the 8.7 was never paid for.

So it will re-emerge as a short run speaker that I will be handling as soon as the new drivers are finished.

Imagine, longer throw, and even lower distortion?

Last edited:
I'm no longer associated with Funk Audio.

And the design work for the 8.7 was never paid for.

So it will re-emerge as a short run speaker that I will be handling as soon as the new drivers are finished.

Imagine, longer throw, and even lower distortion?

bummer about the unpaid work..

longer throw, lower distortion.. I wouldn't have thought it possible after what you did with the 8.7.. any plans for a desktop/near field version?

A few pictures from Day 1 2015

Hello all,

Jérémy here, I had the chance to meet some of you on Saturday which was nice. It was a great experience overall for me being the first meeting that I've attended. I took some pictures throughout the day, some are very similar to ripcard's but I thought I'd share them nonetheless.

Attachments

• IMG_2498.jpg
    IMG_2498.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    915.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2501.jpg
    IMG_2501.jpg
    672.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    987.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2509.jpg
    IMG_2509.jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    788.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    610.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2533.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2522.jpg
    IMG_2522.jpg
    939.4 KB · Views: 75

They were built by Owen (OPC).
First shown in 2013, when they got the nickname "Timbits" (Tim Horton's restaurant name for the centre of the donut):
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/223294-diy-ottawa-winter-2013-a-15.html#post3453876
Post with all the details:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/223294-diy-ottawa-winter-2013-a-20.html#post3466593
Front and back:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/223294-diy-ottawa-winter-2013-a-21.html#post3467439
More pics from last year, when Owen built the sub-woofer for the set:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/252446-ottawa-diy-winter-2014-a-3.html#post3858298
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/252446-ottawa-diy-winter-2014-a-4.html#post3858351

This is the only pic I've got that isn't like one already posted :)

My build of the Napoleans design by Dave (DDF). Hadn't tried them before the meet, and the first time they were hooked up was to a vintage receiver. Gak! Sounded nothing like the originals Dave brought to a previous event. Thought I'd mis-wired the crossovers. Fortunately measurements showed the speakers were working as they should, and they sounded fine hooked up to the SMSL Q5 amp shown with them here. Made me happy as I planned to use them together in my office. It was an eye-opening experience of the differences between amps.

Thanks to everyone who attended and made the time interesting and too full!

Attachments

• 2015_02_23 diyAudio meet.jpg
    2015_02_23 diyAudio meet.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 128
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.