DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
IIUC it is only the software package. But I may understand the press release wrong.

The picture shows a hardware box. The text reads as if it is a piece of hardware.

But if I log on to the AP site and do a 'configure' run, there's no mention of hardware and the same pic is shown of the laptop but with the box cut off. So maybe it IS 'just' software ...

Jan

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ahhh! That clears that up, thanks Edmond. So, it's 'just' software.

And when you do the 'configure' you find that $ 3000 is really an unrealistic base price. Most measurement protocols like FFT, response flatness, stepped responses, all are 'options' costing several 100 or 1000 dollars extra.

Definitely not diy territory!

Jan

Attachments

• flex.PNG
    flex.PNG
    53.5 KB · Views: 314
APx v4.6 software already had an option to either render or capture from ASIO soundcard in order to allow a soundcard test loop of APx SW to render via ASIO soundcard --> loopback to APx analyzer input or the other way around.
I guess now they have just enabled to use ASIO for both in and out at the same time and this in turn enables the use of some other interface as the measurement front end. From there I guess it was such an easy step to add a USB dongle and sell the SW separately as well. Will make them some more money for sure for minimal extra effort.

But yeah as Jan points out with the useful modules costing extra it can add up fast.

...That is very powerful software and any scripts or procedure developed for the AP analyzer can now also be run. At only 10% of an APx500B !

You don't need a the AP software to run scripts or test procedures. There is other software out there (free!) which does that, using standard programming languages.

Then there is the vendor lock in part (driven ad-absurdum by AP): someone invested in the the AP stuff, and now he/she wants to continue using the software with a non-AP audio interface. AP will sell this feature to their loyal customers for $3000. I wouldn't be happy as a customer and start looking for those free lunch solutions that will do just about anything I might need.

But why do I complain? All is good for me because I have the RTX6001 :D

You don't need a the AP software to run scripts or test procedures. There is other software out there (free!) which does that, using standard programming languages.

Then there is the vendor lock in part (driven ad-absurdum by AP): someone invested in the the AP stuff, and now he/she wants to continue using the software with a non-AP audio interface. AP will sell this feature to their loyal customers for $3000. I wouldn't be happy as a customer and start looking for those free lunch solutions that will do just about anything I might need.

But why do I complain? All is good for me because I have the RTX6001 :D
The freeware approach doesn't work with large corporate networks. The free lunch version leaves the network wide open if the guy choosing their free software can't tell good software from Trojans and spyware when installing.

The freeware approach doesn't work with large corporate networks. The free lunch version leaves the network wide open if the guy choosing their free software can't tell good software from Trojans and spyware when installing.

I am not sure I follow this. Why would freeware be worse than for-cost software? Also, you could go the open-source route so you can dig deeper and really see what the software does.

You surely must be joking Mr. Brennwald :)

Nope!

I am not sure I follow this. Why would freeware be worse than for-cost software?

It's not necessarily the freeware, it's the yahoo that finds some garbage on the internet and installs it on their computer, then the Trojan locks all the data on all the servers of the network and won't allow you access until you pay a ransom. This is happening frequently lately and if the IT department isn't smart enough to have back ups it will cost a lot more than a couple licences for the AP software.