DIY ACA mini

Great idea.

I’ll probably build mine on top of some nice stained wood, 6”x6” should do it, a bit like the pic below which is for a small tube amp.

BR
Eric

Attachments

• C845513F-44DF-4C75-B2FC-B68171AE1D18.jpg
    C845513F-44DF-4C75-B2FC-B68171AE1D18.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 950
Codyt, any possibility you might make some single chanel boards ? I asked earlier if this amp would work with laterals and Nelson said go for it so I was thinking of building this amp in a gutted Halfler DH220 case. I figure having a negative temperature coeficent I wouldn't even need the source reistors if I used laterals.

The old DH-220 case is a perfect size for this amp. If you have a set of the Hafler matched lateral Mosfets, you can leave them installed in the heatsink flanges. (Clean and apply fresh thermal grease.) The laterals will need a lower Vds to turn on, and can certainly get by with less source resistance.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Codyt, any possibility you might make some single chanel boards ? I asked earlier if this amp would work with laterals and Nelson said go for it so I was thinking of building this amp in a gutted Halfler DH220 case. I figure having a negative temperature coeficent I wouldn't even need the source reistors if I used laterals.

I hadn’t really considered doing a layout for the circuit itself, but who knows. That said, Jim’s suggestion is a good one.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hitachi is going to be just warm, Hafler not even that

in any case - both of these better to combine (using original mains xformer and outputs) with latest Stasis FE and make big amps

for this mini ACA , small case is part of the game ........ and both of these are just .... not important being overkill, but being clumsy in size ....... not cute anymore

of course, just my opinion ( but we all know that my opinion is only truth)

:clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dunno mate

I'm certainly not lacking projects in progress, and that one is awaiting proper moment of lunacy .......... what is important is that I disassembled functional amp in pieces long ago and it is just waiting

no biggie, it sounded as crap anyway :clown:

edit: is it thing to worry about - I'm still immensely enjoying wild disassembly :rofl:

Got mine today. Unfortunately, I’m off to travel to Albuquerque to see the ballet this weekend, so no time to build. Work still interrupts my days, so this little project will have to wait until next weekend (or some evening this week if I can muster the focus).

Looks like it will be fun!

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Dang, this thing sounds good! Thanks again to Nelson and BAF for the opportunity to win and build one of these.

So far I’m preferring the jumper in. Really fun to change on the fly! Hope to makes some measurements soon.

Attachments

• C2EE3AE5-E4C3-4BDF-8A15-E7C68676E6F1.jpeg
    C2EE3AE5-E4C3-4BDF-8A15-E7C68676E6F1.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 926
  • C3B728E9-EB04-4FC2-9CB3-3F5DF4730975.jpeg
    C3B728E9-EB04-4FC2-9CB3-3F5DF4730975.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 923