DIY ACA mini

How does your VO look? It's nice to have two DVMs to watch both VB and VO at the same time. It's also nice to have a test point to connect the test leads while making adjustments.
I had a magic moment where I was spot on for both of them (2 meters): 300mv/11.5v. I took a picture for posterity.

@e_fortier I will look for the videos -- I watched one very helpful video on the basics of how to use the 2 pots to set the bias. It's the "@Nelson Pass told me that the bias (VB) should be between 350 and 390 mV" line I quoted above that caught me by surprise.

There is a spot in heaven, close to where Mozart hangs out, for the person who knows all 130 pages of this thread and creates a post pinned to the top that points to the especially helpful ones. I started thinking about trying to do this, but clearly my judgement about what is accurate / helpful info is askew.

Reactions: 1 user
Re the spectacular, bespoke gold cages @e_fortier pointed to yesterday, I wrote to the creator of that amp, Bruce Heran, and he was kind enough to reply with the name of the boutique craftspeople who supplied them:

"they came from either Lowes or Home Depot in the home storage area. They were a little larger and had handles when new that I cut off. You can fasten thenm with "mirror" clips to the chassis."

I clearly need to set my sights lower than Ikea...

Reactions: 1 users
Check the original article p.11 or the pic below.

IMG_1322.png

Attachments

• art_aca_mini.pdf
    9 MB · Views: 85
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Another completed ACA Mini in the world tonight. I'm running it out of the headphone output of my CD player, since that has a volume knob on it. It's got enough ommph that if I gave it the direct output, I would suffer hearing loss.

First sounds to come through it:
1. Bach/Glen Gould "The Art of the Fugue"
2. Mary Lou Lord "Martian Saints"
3. Sarah Vaughn
4. Clash "From Here to Eternity"

@6L6's build guide was very useful to me. If the login on the "completed" button was the same as here, I would click that, but it appears to be different.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Winter bias setting day! :snowman:

Cold snap in the Mid Atlantic US calls for kicking it up a notch. I knew from taking ‘measurements’ that my Mini was running a bit cool in its spot.

Equilibrium in both channels now seeming to hover around 400mV for VB. :flame: I know it’ll come down a bit in the place I use it where there is a little more air moving.

Attachments

• IMG_1157.jpeg
    IMG_1157.jpeg
    599.9 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: 3 users
I built an enclosure for the mini folks here coached me through, so I thought you might like to see it. Took a while to redo the wiring under the board, &c. &c. As when I first completed it, no joy: no LED, no nothing. Eventually I remembered that setting the bias might help. Hooray, it's alive and wonderful again. Thanks again for the help with this project: such a delightful sound and truly fun to build -- even when I was tearing out my last hair.

Attachments

• RoyMiniAmp.jpg
    RoyMiniAmp.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 103
  • RoyMiniAmp2.jpg
    RoyMiniAmp2.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: 8 users