DIY ACA mini

From my understanding, a high value C2 (output coupling cap) will act inductively . Do I need to parallel high Q smaller caps to improve low frequency response? Comments appreciated for the output coupling cap.
The capacitive value IS high to achieve good low frequency response! No need to improve something :giggle:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
From my understanding, a high value C2 (output coupling cap) will act inductively . Do I need to parallel high Q smaller caps to improve low frequency response? Comments appreciated for the output coupling cap.
Simple answer would be no. The effects of ESL (equivalent self inductance) and ESR (equivalent self resistance) on a large cap like this really are negligible over the audio band and way beyond. It is in the higher frequencies inductance would come into play, but it is a non issue here.

Edit... ESL and ESR. 'self' (why did I type that?) should be series of course.

As @Franz Gysi says, the high capacitance value is to maintain LF response.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2007
Paid Member
@Chilaquiles

Just to recap:

Post #2077 - Left channel adjusted "fine" at VO = 11.5 and VB = .30V. Right channel VO = 11.85 VB = "VB is fine" (I'm not sure what that means).

Post #2082 - Left channel VO in the range of 11.11 to 12.90 and VB 0 to 126 mV. Right channel VO = ~11.80V and VB= 4mV. Also mention of a burnt resistor R9.

Post #2090 - Pots all counterclockwise VO Left 0, VO Right .01 (There should be voltage at VO)

This isn't making much sense...is there any information you can add that would fill in the blanks? Are you being consistent in the way you are measuring VO and VB? If you over-turn those trim pots there will be smoke (I know this from experience).

@KevinHeem apologies not trying to be frustrating. I took new readings with pics.

All pots all the way counterclockwise I have:
Left VB 00.00 & Vo 11.89
Right Vb 01.8mv & Right Vo 11.83

All pots clockwise I have
Left VB 91.60mv & Vo 11.79
Right Vb 1.0mv & Right Vo 11.86
No smoke on either. Pics below.

Maxclockwise left.jpg
Maxcounterleft.jpg
Maxclockwise.jpg
Maxcounterright.jpg

Testing at stock bias. Sounds actually spookily fricken toetappingly beautiful with the linear lab PSU. @24V.

Yeah, only the small, beautifully smooth, but almost bassless, build bench KEF aluminium enclosure point source speakers.

I am now MORE than curious how this will sound on the really big rig.

🎷🙂🎸

Attachments

• IMG_5047.jpeg
    IMG_5047.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 136
Yeah, thats probably not a bad, but a fairly good idea. Less is more. Clean is Clean. So, since i am reuseing the heatsinks from my old Yamaha and my not so old Onkyo home cinema recievers, on my first and my second mini, thats exactly what i am gonna do. So here is teh planned setup for the no 2.

Comin up, one of these days: Pass ACA Mini no 2 🙂❤️

IMG_5048.jpeg