DIY 4way full frontloaded Hornsystem with MDF tractrix horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all

i am building a 4way, full frontloaded Hornsystem. It will be a pair of hornloaded subwoofers, and a pair of 3 way satellites. midbass and midrange channel will use round MDF tractrix horns. At the moment i am working on the midbass horn channel. To turn it, i made a big lathe. The mouth part of the 38" horn weights over 50kgs. Fotos and videos :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12312992@N07/page1/

Angelo

horn size

hi Felixx

i made some time ago a drawing, to visualize cut off fc of horns of different size. 800hz: 300mm, 12", diameter mouth size is ok.

Angelo

Attachments

• horn size small.jpg
    horn size small.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,367
Angelo...I have Altec 414-16B woofers,a pair of 811-B horns and a pair of 806A compresion drivers and I want to build the best possible and without major compromise project for them.

You might also consider shorter horns, like JMMLC flare horns. These horns honk less, and sound more natural.

J.M. Le Cleach have a concrete-cement horn in top of the Onken-Jensen enclosure.

Also on ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spheric-Wave-...6569183QQihZ009QQcategoryZ22062QQcmdZViewItem

What is your oppinion about these...

Hello Angelo,

I am glad you have opened a new thread. The videos with the big horn you've posted (the last two) are having a LeCleach profile? They seem very short. Are you using a 8" midrange with them? Or you are making the horn from to pieces and it's for a compression driver? It looks great anyway...

cross section

The midbass horn has a normal tractrix profile, but a littlebit more curved on the edge, similar to JMMLC. The horn cannot be turned as one peace. The lathe would not support it. The mouth part is turned separately, and afterwards another two blocks, and then the 3 blocks are glued together. See the last pages on my blog. There is a tutorial step by step, how to build them. I will employ a Fane Studio 8m, 8" driver.

Angelo

Attachments

• cross section satellite.jpg
    cross section satellite.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,175
angeloitacare said:
hi all

i am building a 4way, full frontloaded Hornsystem. It will be a pair of hornloaded subwoofers, and a pair of 3 way satellites. midbass and midrange channel will use round MDF tractrix horns. At the moment i am working on the midbass horn channel. To turn it, i made a big lathe. The mouth part of the 38" horn weights over 50kgs. Fotos and videos :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12312992@N07/page1/

Angelo

Angelo,
I'm certainly impressed with the workmanship and the obvious thought that has gone into your horns...very nice!
Being more of a mechanic than a "mind", I was wondering if you could share some details on your lathe. Give the weight of your horn's "bell" the lathe must, I suppose, be fair robust and substancial.

Any info that you would share in this regard would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Grinder

hi Terry

my woodworker had a small wood lathe, and was able to make the first pair of horns for me, with up to 20" mouth diameter. After i told him about my plans to make bigger horns, he remembered of a old Grinder, he had in the backyard , without using anymore, and wanting to sell for a long time, but nobody wanting to pay a reasonable price for it. Since it was quit massive, and with 2 heavy axis, we saw that it would be possible to transform it in a big lathe. So i bought it, and the Grinder was cut into 2 halfes, and one Axis was transformed in the lathe you can see now. A used motor was bought.
There is not much secret about it. What was a difficulty in the beginning, was to not make it vibrate. It was concreted very heavily on the floor. The metal rod's are all massive, 1" thick, very heavy, to hold the tools to cut the wood, since these, if too thin, vibrate as well, and then making it difficult to hold the cutting tool firmly and calm. there is also put a rod on axis in front of the big horn, to give more stability of rotation.

hope that helps.

Angelo

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Inspired by volvotreter, I just built my first tractrix horn (320 Hz) out of baltic birch. It turned out better than I expected. It was my first lathe project too (I'm sure a lot of you fall into that category).

I detailed every step in a blog:

DIY Firefly

Nice job. Your horns look great. How will be the configuration of the whole system ?

----------------------------------------------------------
Audio Voice Acoustics - Powered by vBulletin

Nice job. Your horns look great. How will be the configuration of the whole system ?

I'm planning to build the rectangular 77 Hz mid-bass horns on volvotreter next (out of baltic birch). I can't see myself turning anything that big.

I still haven't decided what to do below 100 Hz. I like the idea of a 20 Hz tapped horn, but I don't know if it can reach that high. I may just build a sealed sub with a 15" driver. Does anybody have any suggestions?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Inspired by volvotreter, I just built my first tractrix horn (320 Hz) out of baltic birch. It turned out better than I expected. It was my first lathe project too (I'm sure a lot of you fall into that category).

I detailed every step in a blog:

DIY Firefly

Wow...great work! Nice of you to document the details of the project on the blog also!

Bass horn / woofer suggestions

I'm planning to build the 77Hz horns to cover 100-500hz. Do you have any suggestions for a bass woofer or bass horn desigh that would reach up to 100Hz and still complement the front horns? Of course, I'd like to reach as low as possible (at least strong at 30hz). Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.