Discussion arising from Geddes loudspeaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
gedlee said:
In other words you have braced the wrong dimension and left the critical one fairly unsupported.

I would have to disagree with you. A brace works best if it divides a panel into sub-panels that have a higher aspect ratio than the panel it is bracing. As configured it does just that, and braces the 4 panels that do not have bracing. The side panels are inherently self-braced. This is structurally a multiple H beam kinda structure.In practise the sides do not move.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
planet10 said:

The side panels are inherently self-braced. This is structurally a multiple H beam kinda structure.In practise the sides do not move.

dave

Have you tested this, or is it just hypothesis? That structure has good strength from front to back owing to the sandwich, but from top to bottom. it will flex readily (think corrugated cardboard)
Another brace, horizontal across the middle would help this.

planet10 said:

I would have to disagree with you. A brace works best if it divides a panel into sub-panels that have a higher aspect ratio than the panel it is bracing. As configured it does just that, and braces the 4 panels that do not have bracing. The side panels are inherently self-braced. This is structurally a multiple H beam kinda structure.In practise the sides do not move.

dave

Structural engineering is somewhat of a specialty of mine, but if your convinced of your position there is no more to be said.

gedlee said:
I was disgusted to learn today that the biggest company in the world is now a retailer - a non-value-added producer of services (not goods). Used to be the top ten companies all "made" things. Took raw materials and made useful products out of them. Now its not the products that make money anymore, its the companies that dispense those products. The manufacturers are now all in China. We are becoming a society of consumers who produce next to nothing.

Depending on how you count it, the worlds largest business might be JP Morgan, with assets of 1.6 trillion or so. Certainly the largest salaries for its managers. As said by an economics professor "finance is the art of moving money around until there is nothing left". The artists are working overtime these days.

Sheldon

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
gedlee said:
Structural engineering is somewhat of a specialty of mine, but if your convinced of your position there is no more to be said.

Convinced by a voracious studying of a wide range of literature, experience, cut & try (and lots of things that didn't work), and more than a little bit of physics & engineering over the last 35 years

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
planet10 said:

Horizontal across the middle wouldn't much help the mode you are suggesting might be there, it would need to be vertical, and that would create an early surface for things to reflect off back thru the cone.

dave

The vertical bisecting the side panels would provide the most strength, but you mention reflection and that's what I thought of also. The horizontal will be nearly as effective, as it will also bisect the side panel.
Another possibility would be a "strongback"(construction term), a solid hardwood cleat or rib that runs from top to bottom, middle of the panel. Not as good as the full brace, but better than leaving it alone.

So, when should I start building? :)

planet10 said:

Horizontal across the middle wouldn't much help the mode you are suggesting might be there, it would need to be vertical, and that would create an early surface for things to reflect off back thru the cone.

dave

The brace can be made to be effectively insignificant in that regard. If a designer uses a brace that does have an impact, it's a faulty design.

Dave

Hi Earl,

Now you can put whatever wood you want on the sides, or you can veneer the baffle (if you are very good because its not flat anywhere), but for me to make baffles with waveguides any other way than what I have planned would double or triple the cost of the entire project - not just the baffle.

Yes, we had a discussion last fall about how difficult it would be to make the baffle of wood if I were to build a Summa-like speaker.

I have figured out how to do it but not just using wood and I'm quite sure it's unsuitable for commercial venture. I would build it using stitch and glue wood/epoxy technique as is done for small boats. It took me quite a while to draw plans that make practical sense.

Material costs are reasonable but the investment in time both for learning curve and construction very considerable indeed! Having never used this technique, I'd have to make models and a test piece first. If there was a well designed kit available it certainly would be an attractive alternative.

So come up with the kit. MDF's not a problem:

I've got speakers made of both plywood and MDF. I've had them for years and they're quite satisfactory for what they are.

I think the argument about the acoustic difference between the two materials is quite funny. They're both made of cellulose and glue, aren't they? ':D'

FrankWW said:
Hi Earl,
I think the argument about the acoustic difference between the two materials is quite funny. They're both made of cellulose and glue, aren't they? ':D'

EXACTLY! Now if we were comparing plastic composite to wood products that might be something. But even there I have not found the cabinet material to be significant (been there, done that). Internal bracing is, but Dave and I don't see eye to eye on how to do that.

I skimmed a lot of this thread but I just keep coming back to this relatively simple engineering thought:

the resonant frequency of a given panel in a speaker is determined by the panel's stiffness. the stiffness is a function of the moment of inertia of the panel's section.

Assuming a "good panel" is one that resonantes outside the limits of human hearing (and that it'd be very hard to make them resonante in the single digit hertz range. oh my.), then you want to increase resonant frequency by increasing stiffness, by increasing panel area moment of inertia. Like an I-beam.

who cares what material you use as long as it blocks the passage of air, is easy to work with, and looks sexy when finished?

"Structural engineering is somewhat of a specialty of mine, but if your convinced of your position there is no more to be said."

Hello Earl

What do you recommend?? How would you brace a standard enclosure?? I use 3/4 MDF and 2X3 bracing through out. All glue and screws. Try to space things so the braces are at odd intervals like 3rds or 5ths of the panel lengths. Use front to back baffle braces as well. Is there any benefit from trying to use the braces to break up the panels into odd sizes??

Have tried some roll on panel dampening compounds I figure it can't hurt but don't think I can get enough thickness to matter. Looks good:D Makes one heavy box though.

Rob :)

Robh3606 said:
[BWhat do you recommend?? How would you brace a standard enclosure?? I use 3/4 MDF and 2X3 bracing through out. All glue and screws. Try to space things so the braces are at odd intervals like 3rds or 5ths of the panel lengths. Use front to back baffle braces as well. Is there any benefit from trying to use the braces to break up the panels into odd sizes??

[/B]

The principles to keep in mind are these. Bracing placed on the panel made of MDF or plywood will not be very effective because these materials are not strong in bending. Putting a fairly rigid bar between two panels - through the middle - will be extremely effective because woods like Oak are extremely rigid in compression. So a single Oak rod (maybe 1") across the enclosure will do more than many time that amount placed on the walls, and there is NO interior acoustic effect. If I connect the side walls, for example, with an oak rod at the centers, then for all practical purposes the centers of those walls can't move. Since this WAS the point of maximum deflection this yields a maximum change in the walls displacement and a large net reduction of vibration. But it also prevents a breathing mode, while not as readily surpressing a dipole mode. But the breathing mode is the one that radiates the best, the dipole is very inefficient. Three rods joined in the center of the enclosure makes it incredibly stiffer with virtually no interior volume loss and no acoustic effects at all. Its also very cheap if you use scrap oak, like flooring.

Damping placed on a wall does virtually nothing. Only if it is constrained between two sheets will it do anything. I use CLD on my baffles (and back plate) as this technique is very effective. The other walls don't really need it as they are well braced.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
gedlee said:

Putting a fairly rigid bar between two panels - through the middle - will be extremely effective

I have to respectfully disagree. The rod approach just joins the two surfaces together so they resonate together. It does nothing to minimize the resonance. To do this you need to triangle brace with a rod from the cetre of one panel to the centre of the adjacent.
Easier way is to us a full panel bisecting the space down the middle, from side to side which will brace all sides.

A brace like this would go a long way:

Attachments

• aa.png
    aa.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 341
MJL21193 said:

I have to respectfully disagree. The rod approach just joins the two surfaces together so they resonate together. It does nothing to minimize the resonance. To do this you need to triangle brace with a rod from the cetre of one panel to the centre of the adjacent.
Easier way is to us a full panel bisecting the space down the middle, from side to side which will brace all sides.

A brace like this would go a long way:

You've overlooked one important aspect. Opposing panels are in generally vibrating such that the panels are moving in the opposite direction at any given point in time when unbraced. It's like a balloon that is expanding and contracting with the driver supplying the air pressure variations. Tie the centers of the opposing panels together with a stiff rod and they will no longer move due to a driver signal at what was the peak movement point, the center.

There's not going to be much in the way of random or uncorrelated vibrations of opposing panels. Even those would be reduced because any one panel that would move has to move both simultaneously since they are coupled with the rod.

Dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
dlr said:

You've overlooked one important aspect. Opposing panels are in generally vibrating such that the panels are moving in the opposite direction at any given point in time when unbraced. It's like a balloon that is expanding and contracting with the driver supplying the air pressure variations. Tie the centers of the opposing panels together with a stiff rod and they will no longer move due to a driver signal at what was the peak movement point, the center.

There's not going to be much in the way of random or uncorrelated vibrations of opposing panels. Even those would be reduced because any one panel that would move has to move both simultaneously since they are coupled with the rod.

Dave

You are only looking at the sound pressure, not the mechanical from the driver itself.
The full panel brace will outperform the rod. No question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.