Discrete I-V converter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Otherwise, we're just more honest and tell the truth. When someone writes nonsense, we tell them so.

Well it depends what is seen as the truth :D but I think that nails it. I have no problem with it at all but the west seems to become oversensitive to words. This even more so with the ridiculous phenomenon "woke" that expands like an oil stain.

Well it depends what is seen as the truth :D but I think that nails it. I have no problem with it at all but the west seems to become oversensitive to words. This even more so with the ridiculous phenomenon "woke" that expands like an oil stain.

I’m afraid that you are confusing the careful selection of words with social awareness issues, two worlds having nothing to do with each other.
Being rude and aggresive seldom promotes a lively and constructive discussion.

Hans

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No I don't think I confuse anything in my reply in post #24 to SandyTodorov1's remarks in post #18. The subject was definitely not "rude and aggressive" (which you try to make it and of which you would be right) so it seems you are confused. Besides that the opposite of what you state would be equally counterproductive. Sorry.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Really? I think the content can be edited and not the title?! At least that is what it used to be.

Should be "Discrete I-V converter" I think.

edit: I just tested and I can still edit content of old threads started by me but not the thread title as already mentioned.

Last edited:
Why on earth should someone be jalous.
What a strange hypothesis for a non commercial DIY forum.

Hans

Jealous can happen every where. Jealous that other person smarter or richer or more success or more beautiful, etc.

In this context is about very low THD I/V converter. I did the simulation and I can confirm it is very low THD. I understand how it worked. The question is the implementation. What about the measurement?

If you do not understand how it worked you can ask. If you do not believe it can be implemented, than you can ask the measurement.

For PCM1794

With all respect, but what exactly would be the reason to build a very complex discrete I-V converter these days.
With modern opamps as in the image below, one can achieve simulation figures of resp. 2ppm%@1Khz, 10ppm%@10Khz and 137ppm%@100Khz for +/2mA in and +/8V out while just producing ca. 3uV noise from 20Hz to 20Khz.
For the 1794 gain should be halved since it produces +/-4mA, the above figure were to make them comparable to yours.

Hans

Attachments

• Active I-V.jpg
    Active I-V.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
With all respect, but what exactly would be the reason to build a very complex discrete I-V converter these days.
With modern opamps as in the image below, one can achieve simulation figures of resp. 2ppm%@1Khz, 10ppm%@10Khz and 137ppm%@100Khz for +/2mA in and +/8V out while just producing ca. 3uV noise from 20Hz to 20Khz.
For the 1794 gain should be halved since it produces +/-4mA, the above figure were to make them comparable to yours.

Hans

My version show 0.000015% at 20kHz 4V peak in simulation (buffer output), just saying...

Some people make discrete op-amp although it is not better than the best op-amp. Syn08 built amplifier with THD 1ppm at 20kHz. Wenzel design an amplifier with 10MHZ full power bandwidth and Jan Didden built it also.

It is DIY. Did you see the joy to make a design? Simple one, complex one, mediocore one, superior one, etc.... It is fun.

those values of distortion are only reached in a simulation with identical values of each transistor pair. Maybe a monte-carlo analysis should be done even when it takes a long time to simulate.

You also have to have a proper model of your DAC working into your input impedance, that is where most problems will arise.
I think 2 good opamps and a modern differential output DAC will give you much better results.

I'm totally agree with this!

More interesting will be to see measurements that confirm the statement that the people that still use op-amps are stupid.

The main function for the OPA1632 is to levelshift the signal to zero volt and to produce a true differential output signal with one single amp from both input signals.
For a PCM1792/1794 as an example the bias from the Dac is -6mA giving a permanent 6Volt output bias from the first opamps that has to be level shifted.

Hans

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Last edited: