Digitizing vinyl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 2i2 comes with a cut down protools which would be disappointing if it didn't allow saving at 24/96.

The protools went right in the bin here, I forgot but something about add-ware or the registration procedure was just too annoying. YMMV and it probably does use the ASIO driver and work. ARTA (even the demo) worked flawlessly and used exactly the sample rate and bit depth asked for.

Bill, if you want to do restoration work on your rips, then I would suggest using Reaper software. If can do professional level editing, and supports all types of VST plugins.

As far as bypassing Window's sound peculiarities, the best way is probably to stick with ASIO drivers.

For lots of opinions on a good sound card, some of the threads on gearslutz could be worth looking at. You could try something like a google search for:
best sound card site:gearslutz.com

Joined 2014
Paid Member
What defines the difference between 'pro' level editing and 'amateur'? I am already using audacity which, other than having issues recording at 24bit does what I want. Now as I don't know if I will get into this or not the money that Reaper costs would pay for a denoise and declick package (clickrepair, audiolava etc) which is possibly a better investment. With a new arrival coming play time will get reduced yet again. Reading the specs Reaper does look good for when you reach the limits of audacity, but that isn't me unless I am missing something?

For Windows setups, Acon Digital's Acoustica Basic Edition is a good (freeware) alternative.

Thanks jiiteepee you've returned the favor. Bill finally a free application that actually asks if you want the ASIO driver. Looks good at 24/96 expected noise floor out to 48K and at 1 - 16bit LSB scale data all below 1 LSB so 24 bit.

If anyone is listening I wish these applications would mimic Cool Edit's mouse only zooming and selecting of audio tracks.

Attachments

• noifloor.jpg
    noifloor.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
What defines the difference between 'pro' level editing and 'amateur'? I am already using audacity which, other than having issues recording at 24bit does what I want. Now as I don't know if I will get into this or not the money that Reaper costs would pay for a denoise and declick package (clickrepair, audiolava etc) which is possibly a better investment. With a new arrival coming play time will get reduced yet again. Reading the specs Reaper does look good for when you reach the limits of audacity, but that isn't me unless I am missing something?

AFAIK, even on Windows version of Audacity can now handle 24-bit recording without special ASIO compile.

For me Audacity is just too clumsy for editing 24/96 and 24/192 files as I don't use those automated renovation tools at all but just clip all hearable pops away.

I use Cockos Reaper which suits well for my way of doing this work. I even have made an utility for to update time data from recording to a .cue sheet file (through web databases you normally get cue info for a CD --> song start times are a bit off for your vinyl recording).

For Windows setups, Acon Digital's Acoustica Basic Edition is a good (freeware) alternative.

Thank you jiiteepee! I'm running it now and it recognizes my vst plugins. Acoustica Audio Editor's UI seems less "clunky" than Audacity. I'm reminded of a modern Cool Edit.

What do we know about its RIAA and Inverse RIAA? Regardless of its inbuilt EQ Olaf's runs fine.

BTW I think you may be right about riaa_se_96w.dll being an Win 7 x64 incompatability because it has the same behavior in Acoustica as Audacity in that environment.

Impulse response is minimum phase but at first glance there is only ~33dB drop from 20 - 20k which would be way off.

EDIT - Adding picture, purple is ideal for comparison set equal at 1kHz

If you're talking 'bout Acoustica issue then could it be wrong coefficients for the active samplerate or did they just manipulate the normalized (0dB@1kHz) coefficients? IIRC, I did contact Acon at some point regarding some issues I found but I could not find the e-mail anymore.

If you're talking 'bout Acoustica issue then could it be wrong coefficients for the active sample rate or did they just manipulate the normalized (0dB@1kHz) coefficients? IIRC, I did contact Acon at some point regarding some issues I found but I could not find the e-mail anymore.

No, it looks like a badly truncated FIR. See picture this can't happen with IIR but it is possible that there are other problems too. At 96K the impulse response is only about 1600 samples long, it would be very hard to do an accurate min-phase FIR this short.

Attachments

• riaaxx.jpg
    riaaxx.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
well that's enough votes for Acoustica that I'll be downloading it. Workflow wise I have no prior experience to work from so I doubt that will be an issue. But I do get that, if you have to make a living from a tool it has to be slick (Altium may be the exception to this rule!). For example I was happy to pay for adobe lightroom just because of the output, even tho it is a gigantic pain for occasional use.

I just recorded an album side RAW with the PCM4222 evaluation board using Cool Edit. With my 5 cm/s (RMS) @ 1kHz reference set to -24 dBFS I have peaks at -2.

Rendered the EQ's file using Acoustica with Olaf's RIAA vst. I'm very happy with how this sounds and, so far, I haven't had to buy anything which is the best part.

What's a good tool to verify 24B data?

What's a good tool to verify 24B data?

Your eyes, simply expand the vertical scale a lot. Look at the pic I just posted (#467) the 1, 2, etc. on the vertical axis are 16 bit LSB's 16 bit data lies only at integer values if there are points in between there are more than 16 bits. We've posted pics here a few times in the past.

There is one catch I have seen 16 bit data dithered to 24 bits, this is rare but the histogram is wonky. Usually it's pretty obvious, at +-32767 full scale the data is only at 1, 2, 5, etc.

With Cool Edit and my 2i2 the data with the amplitude turned all the way down as in that plot the data is nothing but -1, +1, or 0.

Last edited:
What defines the difference between 'pro' level editing and 'amateur'?

It's not binary difference. It's more like a spectrum of features that differentiate most of the professional recording and mastering programs. If you wanted to burn your rips to cd and price was of no concern, I would recommend Magix Sequoia (among other reasons because it can directly master and burn CDs, including track marker editing anywhere even in a the middle of a song or a track, say, if you wanted something like separate entry points to different movements of a live symphony recording, and with no 2-second gaps anywhere if desired).

However, while Reaper doesn't burn CDs, it has most of the features of the big boys, and a full featured non-commercial license is only $60 US, so it's a great bargain IMO.

And if you don't even have or can't afford $60, Reaper will keep running indefinitely past the 60-day trial period. The only thing that happens after 30 days is a nag screen appears at startup reminding you your copy is still unlicensed. That's it.

A detailed review is available here: https://www.extremraym.com/en/reaper-5-review/

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.