Digitaly controlled input selector advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I'm trying to create a MCU controlled input selector for my tubeamp. I read many threads here about input selection and also tried myself, but all my attempts sucked quality wise.
I dont need any advice on the MCU side. This is what runs pretty well. LCD, IR remote, touch based switches and touch based rotary encoders run pretty well. This all ends in transistor based switches (dont want to burn the MCU ports, so i use transistors and switch then).
Here what i tried so far :
CMOS switches like 4066, 4013 and so on. They function pretty well, but the distortions they introduce make them unusable.
Then i tried relays. They were even worse. Especially in the lower frequencies they destroyed the beauty of audio.
After these two i tried bus switches, but same problem here.

What do you suggest for a high quality switch, that is digitally accessible? There must be an option that i don't see.

I read about relays that only need an impulse to switch and then the voltage can be turned off and they keep their state until the next switch impulse. How are they called and are they better suited for audio applications ?

Hope you can help me, i would hate it if i could not integrate the remote to switch inputs and had to walk to the amp and use some kind of mechanical switch.

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, but i do not get how i could select an Input with such a pot. Or do you suggest that i mute all Inputs besides one. This way it would be rather expensive, since i need six inputs.
Hope there is another option, that is a bit more affordable:).

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, but i do not get how i could select an Input with such a pot. Or do you suggest that i mute all Inputs besides one. This way it would be rather expensive, since i need six inputs.
Hope there is another option, that is a bit more affordable:).

Thanks
Tom

Just set unused inputs to setting zero.
The MCP4231 are around 70p each. Each MCP4231 has 2 channels so you only need 3 IC's.
After the pots just OR the audio signals using an op-amp.

They are quite easy to control its just a serial bus.

Last edited:
Thank you very much guys. I ordered some adgs and mcps. I will give cmos and digital pots another chance. My former experiments with cmos tech shoed devestating results. I was even able to measure a connection between the controlsignal and the distortion on the cmos ics i used. But the adgs seem much higher quality, so i will give them a chance. The adg7 series seems really nice, there is a 8x2 design. This would make the switch rather easy to implement. Hope the crosstalk is not too problematic and they do not distort the signal.

I also thought about using opamps as preamps and disabling them for mute. I would mute 5 and let one run, perhaps this would do the trick. What do you think ? I dont have much experience with opamps, im more of a digital guy :).

Thanks for your help so far, i began to hope, that modern cmos tech could help. I will report as soon as the ics are here and i tested them. Tomorrow i will make a pcb for the tests with digipots and the multiplexers. Hope they arrive before weekend.

On ebay signal selectors tend to use relays. Are there special audio grade relays ? My experiments with relays showed very poor low frequency performance...

Last edited:

Attachments

• ADG1414THD.png
    ADG1414THD.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 273
  • ADG1414Bandwidth.png
    ADG1414Bandwidth.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 276
The ADG707 is a low-voltage device and the THD% might be somewhat worse than the ADG1414. The lowest and flattest "on resistance" associates with higher supply voltage.

Unfortunately, the ADG1414 is TSSOP -- get yourself some adapters and solder paste -- Scott mentioned in another thread that they use a hot-plate for rework on these small parts. Would seem to be better than the toaster oven!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.