DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer

Thanks Edmond!
It's too bad more sw developers don't share this attitude.
:cool:

mlloyd1

Very true !!! Issues with Wine, issues with SPDIF, issues with calibration, issues with corrupted registries, issues with weird data files, people want more features, etc, etc. Although it takes a lot of time, no problem, as DiAna gets better and better. What's the next issue, please? :D

Cheers,
E.

Hi Rob,

Please check the following parameters in the ini file:
CurInputChannels
CurOutputChannels
If set to 2, change it to 4. If this solves the error I will update DiAna accordingly.

Cheers,
E.

Thanks for the answer. Progress!

The setting was 2 for both. I changed both to 4 and opened Diana again. Then the monitor function works. While setting ADC channel 1/2, DAC channel 3/4 and going trough an external DAC.

To get stable distortion measurement, I needed to increase the latency to 512 (using ESI config panel, default is 256), otherwise the sound card driver sometimes hangs.

Thanks again.

Now I need to figure out how to actually use this program in my daily flow. :)

Hi Edmond,

Just to inform you: Yesterday I downloaded DiAna and tried to unpack it. However, the virusdetection picked out the .zzz file as being malicious and initially deleted it. I was able to recover the file and rename it. In smoketesting it seemed to work fine.

It wouldn't surprise me if others encountered the same or similar event and perhaps it is possible to review the delivery method of the software?

Thanks in advance,
Edwin

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the answer. Progress!
The setting was 2 for both. I changed both to 4 and opened Diana again. Then the monitor function works. While setting ADC channel 1/2, DAC channel 3/4 and going trough an external DAC.
Glad to hear.
To get stable distortion measurement, I needed to increase the latency to 512 (using ESI config panel, default is 256), otherwise the sound card driver sometimes hangs.
Thanks again.
Now I need to figure out how to actually use this program in my daily flow. :)
As for a 256 buffer size, does the program hang/crash, or did you get dropouts? That's what I sometimes get with an ESI Waveterminal 192X.

Cheers, E.

Hi Edwin,

Indeed, there a few antivirus programs that wine about DiAna, just false positives.
Which antivirus programs do you use? Why it was wining, because of the .zzz extension?

As for other delivery methods, any suggestions? But a zipped exe file for example, will also create (other) problems.

Cheers, E.
Hi Stuart,

Norton is one of the wining AV products. It detected some type of malware, scanning the file (sorry, didn't record it)... I haven't investigated other delivery methods. Perhaps another extension could "fix" it... but I doubt it.

Best imho is to provide a note, stating this phenomenon, in the download location.

Very true !!! Issues with Wine, issues with SPDIF, issues with calibration, issues with corrupted registries, issues with weird data files, people want more features, etc, etc. Although it takes a lot of time, no problem, as DiAna gets better and better. What's the next issue, please? :D

Cheers,
E.

No Worries Edmond. This will force you to live to the age of a vulcan.

New version

A new version of DiAna is available (V1.51.9). Internally, a lot has been changed and two minor bugs repaired. Externally, only two extra items are visible: A popup menu to select the interpolation method for the monitor (fig. 1) and a check mark (fig. 2) to disable the outlier and glitch test, which enables to process 'difficult' (noisy) data. The SPDIF issues reported by Rob have also been addressed.
And lastly, here is one of the easily overlooked features: When the monitor is running, you can adjust the trigger level by moving the mouse (left button down) inside the lower left or right gray border (fig. 3).

Cheers, E.

NB: The interpolation method can also be selected by using the page-up and page-down keys, that is, when the cursor is positioned on the lower pane. In order to clearly see the differences, select a pretty high frequency: about 1/4 of the sampling rate.

Attachments

• Spline.png
    Spline.png
    4 KB · Views: 228
  • OutlierCheck.png
    OutlierCheck.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 236
  • TrigLev.png
    TrigLev.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 233
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A quick test with the latest version.
The RTX as usual is exceptional on this test.
The EMU needs a little patience to setup. it has the most complex control panel, being a mini DAW.
The Hammerfal is quite goos even though its converters are a step down
I could not get the Lynx to work. I think it was working earlier. Seems to be an ASIO problem on the Lynx side.

Attachments

• Lynx error.PNG
    Lynx error.PNG
    48.8 KB · Views: 79
  • EMU 1212M Loopback .1 .PNG
    EMU 1212M Loopback .1 .PNG
    44.8 KB · Views: 91
  • RME 9632 Loopback .1 .PNG
    RME 9632 Loopback .1 .PNG
    35.4 KB · Views: 229
  • RTX Loopback .1 X10 X10.PNG
    RTX Loopback .1 X10 X10.PNG
    41 KB · Views: 221
Hi Rob,

Glad to hear.
As for a 256 buffer size, does the program hang/crash, or did you get dropouts? That's what I sometimes get with an ESI Waveterminal 192X.

Cheers, E.

The ESI sound card driver hangs which causes Diana to hang until it displays a time-out message. Closing & opening Diana doesn't solve this, the computer needs restart.

ESI is not known for high quality drivers (e.g. it also hangs after system suspend - resume) and the Juli@ is now discontinued, probably this is not going to get improved.

But if it works, the card allows to measure 110dB deep (with external ESS DAC), which would require very expensive hardware otherwise.

Last edited: