Devore Orangutan Clone?

So I finally got around to prototyping this speaker and wanted to share my results with the DIY crowd here. A few photos are attached.

What I ended up with is the result of a lot of crossover and port length experimentation and listening. I am very pleased with the outcome and will eventually get around to building a new cabinet in a Devore style with some special veneer and a base made from hardwood.

Drivers are the Seas A26RE woofer and Morel CAT378 tweeter. They are individually wired to terminals on the back baffle so I could experiment with the crossover without opening the cabinet.

The crossover is a first order high pass on the tweeter with a 3.9 uF cap and an L-pad attenuation of R1 = 2.7 ohm and R2 = 15 ohm. I also experimented with a second order high pass but found the first order and a relatively higher crossover frequency sounded better.

The prototype cabinet is built from 19mm baltic birch plywood and measures 18"W x 29"H x 11.5"D. Since this is just a prototype, I finished the baltic birch with a few coats of satin lacquer.

I used a piece of 1x3 poplar as a brace between the front and back baffles about 3" beneath the woofer. On the back baffle directly behind the woofer is a 1" thick 6 pound fiberglass panel measuring about 14" square to reduce reflections back through the woofer. The remainder of the back baffle and the top, bottom and side walls are covered with 1.5 pound pink fiberglass. The dual ports are 3" ABS pipe 7.5" long.

The prototype base is made from poplar and measures about 7.5" high in the front. You will see in the photos that the front legs are arranged to tilt the cabinet back by about 3 degrees. This points the acoustic center of the woofer/tweeter directly at my listing position about 13' away.

do you have a lowpass on the woofer or you run the woofer without any xo?

dualuxe, there's always a Mk II version of a speaker, IMO.

Otherwise we are stuck. I do think the 10" SEAS bass is hard to improve. It has enough internal damping not to break up too badly.

Michael Chua has done some sterling work on the Morel CAT378 tweeter:

Finch (Morel CAT378 + Vifa PL18W0-09-08) – AmpsLab

I liked what he did. He will send you the circuit if you email him. It should have lower distortion.

I think some people must have the attention span of a Gnat. :D

812044d1580141374t-devore-orangutan-clone-img_5610-jpg

...The crossover is a first order high pass on the tweeter with a 3.9 uF cap and an L-pad attenuation of R1 = 2.7 ohm and R2 = 15 ohm. I also experimented with a second order high pass but found the first order and a relatively higher crossover frequency sounded better.

I understood that.

Last edited:
What do you think about this build?

2-Wege - geschlossen - klassisch - GROSS

Super cheap, yet measurably great, tweeter solution with the 2" fullrange $10 Visaton l. His measurements look great too!

I may need help constructing the crossover... I think I'm going to actually try this ��

It's not that hard a crossover. 0.33mH coil on the bass. 1.8uF/1.2mH on the tweeter. Bit of LCR impedance correction which will only interest valve amp users.

It's not quite clear in the pictures, but the FRS5X fullranger is open back, so needs a little 0.8L enclosure.

Troels Gravesen had a good time with a waveguide JBL cone tweeter:
Supravox DTQWTSupravox 215RFT-
Supravox 215GMFHow to tweak this driver to better performance

It's a fun idea.

What do you think about this build?

2-Wege - geschlossen - klassisch - GROSS

Super cheap, yet measurably great, tweeter solution with the 2" fullrange $10 Visaton l. His measurements look great too!

I may need help constructing the crossover... I think I'm going to actually try this ��

Yes,
it is a great design- i have build it and liked it very much.
Great bass and very smooth high tones.
As described in the german text you have to build the tweeter into a 0,8l enclosure.

Found this on youtube, another home spun devore attempt. It actually sounds incredible in video (fwiw), I know some people cheat in these videos.

YouTube

Classical music doesn't really stress tweeter either.
Btw, the devore woofer has a phase plug and is different. Seas will of course protect their proprietary woofers.

This might be closer to actual woofer than the a26re4, SEAS Exotic W8 X2-08, 8" Woofer - Alnico Magnet

I have this tweeter sitting around and would think it can almost make it with the right type of filter and maybe a volume control to keep it from being destroyed.

Dayton Audio ND25FW-4 1" Soft Dome Neodymium Tweeter with Waveguide 4 Ohm

Last edited:
Seems to me the whole trick is a paper woofer with high Qms above 3. Kapton or fibreglass or paper voicecoil formers. Corrugated paper or foam surrounds. And don't expect too much bass, because big excursion is the enemy of linearity. Fast response relies on low energy storage. Keep it light. :cool:

I think thats good insight.

The actual 0/96 sounds very bad in this recording. Almost like something wrong. Tweeter is squacking away.

YouTube

The seas 10" woofer might sound better crossed to a small paper cone driver or cone tweeter. Who makes a cone tweeter thats any good?

I also heared that the woofer is a custom design build by Seas specially for this set. Measurements from Stereophile show that the 2.83v/1m is more like 91dB efficiency in reality and that the response is quiet good (within 10dB) if you don't count room resonances (like in the first test they did). But the rest of the comments are largely audiophile talk that says nothing...

DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com