Devore Orangutan Clone?

Hi Brimax, the project has been named "FantOrang Divorced".
I don't know the measurements you mention, but I am attaching a table with (rounded) dimensions from the most famous ones based on the Seas 10".
We haven't compared the tweeters to waveguides yet because the crossovers are under development.

dims.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Lovely work @wilbur-x!

This may give you some crossover ideas for the tweeter, but the bass can be much more simple.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/morel-cat-378.383920/page-2

Mike Chua at ampslab has done a lot of tweeter filters for the CAT378, but I must respect his personal work. And so I won't publish it, though he will send it to you. But you can do first order, LCR on the tweeter to flatten the 700 Hz Fs and about 5.6uF capacitor.

Last edited:
Hi,

today I wanted to share with you my version of the O/96 clones made based on Makako's project.

I used 18 mm thick MDF for the case and the faceplate was made from 24 mm thick plywood.

The whole thing is varnished in black semi-matte and the front panel is ash veneer.

I used SEAS A26RE4 and Morel CAT 378 Horn as the drivers.

The crossover was made with Mundorf and Jantzen components. The wiring in the crossover is Duelund DCA16GA.
It was made in the attached scheme.

The internal wiring is Belden 9497.

Monacor connection terminals.

To dampen the enclosure, I used a double layer of 3.5cm Monacor MDM-2 damping mat additionally trimmed with cotton canvas and velcroed to the enclosure. This gave a good appearance and holds the damping well.

As for the listening experience, I am very satisfied. The speakers play with huge space and detail.

They have good dynamics and do not miss any range.

They are playing with Air Tight ATM-300 and really this amplifier can drive them.

Only at higher volumes or when I use it as a power amplifier with the potentiometers turned up to the max can I hear noise from the tweeter.
Is there anything I can do about it? Maybe I should make some changes in the crossover and trim its parameters a bit?
Any suggestions are welcome.

How do you rate my project? I will be grateful for any words of opinion.

IMG_6192.JPEG
IMG_6193.JPEG
IMG_6340.JPEG
IMG_6341.JPEG
IMG_6343.JPEG
IMG_6347.JPEG
IMG_6348.JPEG
IMG_6356.JPEG
IMG_6358.JPEG
IMG_6359.JPEG
IMG_6375.JPEG
IMG_6381.JPEG
IMG_6382.JPEG
IMG_6383.JPEG
IMG_6384.JPEG
IMG_6385.JPEG
IMG_6386.JPEG
IMG_6387.JPEG
IMG_6388.JPEG
XOFC.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Anyone know this guy?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13493161...55&osub=-1~1&crd=20240212132451&segname=11051

He builds and sells clones, but also sell the plans - but more interesting is that he's built and O/Reference clone. Well kind of, the bass units aren't really the same, he uses the Seas exotic - presumably must be run with the bass bins as I presume it would roll off earlier than the A26RE4.

Would be interesting to do something with the supertweeter - anyone know what devore uses?

Hi Brimax, the project has been named "FantOrang Divorced".
I don't know the measurements you mention, but I am attaching a table with (rounded) dimensions from the most famous ones based on the Seas 10".
We haven't compared the tweeters to waveguides yet because the crossovers are under development.

View attachment 1249068
Good stuff @wilbur-x, I take it that the custom driver that devore uses is the reason for the O/96 90cm height, potentially difference VAS compared to the Makako/FantOrang Divorced that use the A26RE4?

img_6356-jpeg.1263643

In a box that big, and mostly MDF needs to have dramatically better bracing. I expect decent bracing is more important to sonics ythan the exotic XO components.

Otherwise it is very pretty.

dave
2nd to that. Plus: stuff it! Both walls and internal undamped volume (standing waves) will deteriorate sound quality quite drastically. Exterior finish is important, but inside even more.

Hello Wilber-X. I am back to this thread because I am jumping back in to XO design again. Not entirely happy with any solution thus far tried. None are really bad, yet, I can do better. Measurement of drivers in box will be today. If I get happy with this design, I'll post again. If not, I'll sell the lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Good Morning. I have ended my work on the XO, which is a variation on the Makako article XO. I basically stripped the recommended XO of the zobels for both the woofer and tweeter. I found they muddied things up. I then added one component and changed the value of another.

Woofer is simply the first order electrical with .80mh retained, the zobel and all other components in woofer path are removed. The tweeter retains the 5.6uf cap and .56mh inductor. The zobel is dropped which by itself results in a boost of several db in the highs (addressed as described in a couple of sentences below). Critically, I added a 1.8ohm resistor is series with the .56mh inductor to ground. This shapes the knee of the tweeter response such that phase tracks really well. I changed the resistor at the input to the tweeter network to 3 ohms from the recommended 1.8ohm. This compensated for the level difference due to eliminating the zobel, in part, but not completely. I have progressive hearing loss above 4khz. Using the 3 ohm resistor results in a response in the highs that measures a little "hot". However, it compensates for my hearing such that it sounds good for me.

This XO is for me, tweaking for your hearing is a good thing. After all, the listening is what counts.

Using an additional resistor in series with shunt components is something I don't often see, but often use to reduce component count and nudge phase tracking in the right direction by shaping the knee of component response a bit.

PXL_20240404_140741988.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: