Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor Luongo, to have you behind..hehe

I have found, into simulator, an overshot signal into the square wave signal, and this was fixed increasing the output coils value and the resistance to make the coil even more effective.

This made no huge different into the sonics... killed high end just a very little, almost nothing.

I found the value doing listening tests.

I have used the transcritional, hiperbolical, diagonal cinetic trans - sonic testing*..ahahahaha.... try and error was the method, the decision was listening, options switched from A to B.

This was already explained into the thread.. hummmm... you have not readed thread after page 100... hehe

Testing method used by moving our ......

regards,

Carlos

Hi Nordic.

Just received my goodies today :)

Well, i was prepared for a nice packaging, but this is more like a piece of art. :bigeyes: I can only try to imagine the time and effort you and your wife have put into this.

Thanks a lot for your hard work.

Have a happy new year all.

All the best
Ebbe

Attachments

• dx amp.jpg
    dx amp.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 653
Hi guys,

Geez Nico and Carlos, great job on the group buy, website and all.

I'm thinking of grabbing some boards from your next run. I have a new 400VA +-25VAC toroidal transformer sitting here, unused. But mainly, I'm looking to re-use some new transistors I bought to repair a low end Marantz receiver, which ended up sounding pretty awful. I've since cannibalised the unit for other projects...

This will give me (Genuine Toshiba) 2 x 2SA1263 and 2 x 2SC3180, plus 2 x 2SD669AC, 2 x 2SB649AC and 2 x 2SC3419 along with quite a few decent quality TO92 package transistors (2SC2240 and 2SA970).

Would I need to change any other components to use the Toshiba power transistors?

Cheers

Stuey

No dear Stuey, will not need to change the amplifier to use your canibalized parts

from the Marantz.

Those 2SC2240 and complementary are both wonderfull transistors, they reproduce sound in a very good way...but...but.... those ones have 550 of gain or more...and they love to oscilate because they are able to work into high frequencies.... to be more precise VHF...very high frequencies, Radio Frequencies, upper 100 megahertz easy!!!

Need some care with them...if into sensitive parts, as VAS, you will need good compensation, lag compensation, Miller compensation...or condenser to ground...if not...heheheheh..problems!

regards,

Carlos

The Dx amplifier, Dx amp, my amplifier, the Standard, or Vanilla as Nordic use to

call it, was made to be simple, to be cheap and to be good.

And not to be ashamed by any other one!

Because of that, the supply was made simple, cheap.... i have used small condensers.

The Dx is a nice monster that is able to use more than 2 amperes during operation.

This will need more than 10000uf each rail..... and.... as we are using inductors in series into the supply, they work great but they reduce the capacitance.... the supply showing 4700 plus 4700uf do not have 4700 + 4700uf... so.... the rail capacitance is not 9400uf (already a little bit undersized to be economical).

So... also here my idea of 4700uf to each ampere has value as reference.... i think 14000 would be more nice when operating full power, into 4 ohms, having one supply to each channel.

To be cheap, something was sacrificed.... cannot make big magic with those things...so...be aware, if you want perfect operation, increase you condensers into the Standard.

Will not be more cheap, but will be better in sonics when you input high levels, into distortion threshold and during peaks of power...more clean deep bass... the thunderstorm from the hell.

A single Dx Standard supply is able to feed two channels of Dx amplifier, full power, using 8 ohms loads..but not good enougth when driving 4 ohms...made to be economical...can be upgraded!!!

Dx standard has more power than the HRII.

ABOUT CONDENSERS.... go to this thread, you will find some good informations there:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1386637#post1386637

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• hiper economical supply.pdf
    7.3 KB · Views: 183
HRII, Techno (from Bora) and Aspen Prototype already made

Now i will go to Mihai (Roender)

Will be listening ... and dancing while listening his wonderfull amplifier into this Sunday.

I have assembled two channels each one of them.... into Roender i will assemble only one... not only because of power, but also my board is not good...so...will not make two ugly things.

Roender is for listening... pleasant listening and experiences i want to make with it.

Will not follow his schematic exactly...because of that will not produce reviews..not fair.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• roender into the sequence line.jpg
    roender into the sequence line.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 557
Nordic said:

Now lets see if you can be the first to complete yours.... the other guys are realy slow.... even by my standards....

I will not make any promises ;) Reason is, that i have recently met this beautiful woman, and.. well.... You all know how it is :D
But i will certainly do what i can, as i believe to have all the stuff required.

All the best
Ebbe

Happy new year to all of you folks!

Thank you very much to be friendly and kind along the year is finishing those next hours.

Be happy... and never mind.

Enjoy Dx amplifier and be with us next year...we gonna make more and better, and the units will not explode alike fire works.

Guaranteed!!!!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• happy new year.jpg
    happy new year.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 422
Re: No dear Stuey, will not need to change the amplifier to use your canibalized parts

destroyer X said:
from the Marantz.

Those 2SC2240 and complementary are both wonderfull transistors, they reproduce sound in a very good way...but...but.... those ones have 550 of gain or more...and they love to oscilate because they are able to work into high frequencies.... to be more precise VHF...very high frequencies, Radio Frequencies, upper 100 megahertz easy!!!

Need some care with them...if into sensitive parts, as VAS, you will need good compensation, lag compensation, Miller compensation...or condenser to ground...if not...heheheheh..problems!

regards,

Carlos

Hello Carlos,

Happy New Year to you...

I note that the transistors I have taken from the Marantz have a max power dissipation of 60W, so to be safe could only cope with around 40W output, I assume.

Would they require a reduced rail voltage to avoid failure?

Cheers

Stuey

Oh!.... this is a pitty...you will have to reduce voltage

If your mains is 110 volts you can use a trick.

Wire your transformer to work into 220 volts and plug it into 110 volts (if this is your mains voltage)...this way you will have half voltage output, and this may be good to you, as with half voltage you will not produce more than 35 watts into 4 ohms....and into 8 ohms the power will be safe for your transistors.

Even using 8 ohms, some speakers can have deep valleys of impedance.... they are not 8 ohms into entire audio bandwidth, they are 8 ohms when you inject 1 Kilohertz only.

Or.... replace the output transistors by bigger power units....or build the power stabilizer, regulator, i have published monthes ago into the Dx thread..... reduce the zenner diode to 9 volts or something around that and adjust your output voltage (each rail adjustment) to 23 volts ..... or construct a rail regulator.... not very good to high currents, has not error amplifier and because of that will have enormous variations (losses) of voltage during the amplifier operation.... the base current will have to be 30 miliamperes....so, the zener will have to be bigger than 1 Watt..better to be 5 watts... the series transistor will have to be TIP3055 and TIP2955, or 2N3055 and 2N2955, or TIP41C and TIP42C.... or bigger TIP, as 35 and complementary.

There's some tutorial about how to calculate those series regulators.... they are no good for big current and fast current variations, no error amplifier turns that thing weak...but can be a solution for emergencies.

The attached image shows another option, not very good, but can be used too.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• not very good, but works too.gif
    not very good, but works too.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 414
This option is the better one Stuey

Also you will be able to use it with bigger input voltages, will be able to adjust voltage from 14 volts to the maximum non stabilized voltage from your standard supply....will be helpfull in many moments of your life into your laboratory.

The upper resistances that goes to the darlington base (a darlington transistor or two transistors connected as darlington)...the one with 1K and other with 1K5, into the positive rail, are the correct values...into the negative rail i forgot to replace the ones..use the upper values..upper rail values.

Good luck,

The decision, about what to make, it is up to you!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• adjustable,_stabilized_supply.pdf
    12.5 KB · Views: 144
Off course, this is the easier way to solve those problems

I wish you luck, there are too much fake ones around.

The good ones are ugly, they seem to be fake...you will have problems to read the numbers, alike ligth orange paint on it..hard to read..the back is awfull... seems fake...seems fause the good ones.

The ones looks good are the fake ones...so...if you have chance to watch them into the shops.... select the ones you think are bad... you gonna have better chances.

I have some Fairchild here...better dissipation.... they transfer heat much faster them the Toshiba ones.... while a Toshiba have the upper case hot (have not transfered the heat fast enougth to avoid the case to be overheated) the Fairchild was cold...gain is the same...back is more flat, but awfull also..... the frontal paint is dark too... seems grey...but it is painted over a shinny frontal surface...easier to read.

regards.

Carlos

Attachments

• good one.jpg
    good one.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 371
Status
Not open for further replies.