Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your presence dear Carl is excelent.... you are my prefered moderator

Very fair, very fast, never undecided... a guarantee of safety for us that have opened threads.

I cannot say bad things related others, some of them are personal friends...but i always feel that your double barreled is always ready to go.... sometimes this is a need.

By the way...to let you know.... i like you face, your expression, your eyes.... seems very friendly... alike a brother...good...very good!.... the only one... the moderator that has courage to show his own face....because of those things i trust on you...have courage!!!

regards,

Carlos

....................................................................................................

I am not sure about that Jacco.

It is interesting there.... Japan...that you have bath houses that has an employee constantly cleaning the place... the street in front of the place always wet... and the man holding a long rubber... a tube, and watter beeing spelled...hehehehe...interesting those things.

I cannot go more deep into that Jacco.... for sure you will capture the meaning.... long tube..rubber tube... spitting watter.... meanings.

There are other shops that the front street is dry... this may have a meaning.

Was that way in 1982..... maybe today have changed.... Dudainc is constantly travelling to Tokyo...he may inform about those traditions.... very interesting culture.... lovely people... i have respect for them.... big respect.

regards,

Carlos

.....................................................................................................

Nordic

I am gratefull, very happy with the Field effects transistors you have sent me.... nice gift...also i know you put some schrinking tubes inside...also very good.... the boards with no cost to me was specially kind from you.

But i have worries about my Christmas..... the damn mail system is delaying a lot to arrive Washington - DC..... i think the place were our friend Dudainc is working now.... he is Brazilian, from Rio Grande do Sul (big South River)... will travell to Brasil, because of Christmas into December 17th..... and he will bring my boards...they gone together Dudainc package...but US mail may face problems because huge use of mailing system now a days.

It is possible that will not arrive on time.... we are tracking.... Duda is in contact with me using MSN.

I would like to thank you.... as you see, i use all the chances i have...i think a single "thank you" is really too small for all you made for us.

I would be happy to receive pictures of your guitar amplifier... those things you are doing that are making you busy and distant from our forum.

regards,

Carlos

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Hi Carlos,

I seem to remember a version of the DX amp that can use 55v rails and has multiple output pairs. I am interested in this version as I have a 39VAC transformer available. But I can't find the information for that one. Too many versions, too many PCB's here. :cannotbe: I checked Greg's and Nordic's website, but can only find the standard voltage versions.

Is there also a DIY PCB layout available for that one? (One with holes, Carlos! :cool: )

..Todd

Nordic was thinking to try bigger voltage and more output transistors

He was creating the board for this purpose...i do not know if he continued, if he finished or if he gave up related that.

Nordic is always doing something, but he do not use to tell us what he is doing... i think he likes surprises.... well.... i hate surprises.... my Christmas gifts were already informed to me, this way no surprises!.... well... i am not perfect...nobody is perfect in this non perfect world.

Nordic was doing to the High Resolution II, not for the Dx Standard... he was going to use three output pairs...so.... 55 volts will run perfectly in such a sittuation.

Use 0.47 ohms resistances to each emitter....to each output base, use 2,2 or 3,3 or 4,7 ohms resistances in series (stop resistances)...you will need to change the resistance that goes to the 12 Volts zener, to reduce the current.... you will need to increase the resistance that can be 3K9 or even 4K7.

All your condensers will need replacement to 63 volts units.

Your transistors too, you will need to use higher voltage units...to the input the 2N suggested will work fine, to the voltage amplifier use 2SC4793.... use also 2SC4793 and 2SA1819 as drivers...of course you can use MJ15023 or something alike that too.

The bias current, stand by current will remain low...around 60 to 80 miliamperes, depending how big current you will be able to adjust over the emitter resistances..... try to read 2 to 3 milivolts over each one of your emitter resistances, to be sure all transistors are in conduction into the output circuit.

It will produce huge power..... into 2 ohms can go to more than 500 watts!...but you will need more output transistors and a little bit more voltage into the supply.

Microp has assembled the Dx standard version using 50 volts and he loved the amplifier... he used only 2 output pairs and the unit was connected to 8 ohms speakers...this was published in this same thread..but really a long time ago... around page 100.

Of course you can tweak some capacitors...increase the input..well...you can adjust to your taste.... it will be nice for subwoofer too.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• dx turbo 530w - 2 ohms.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 161
Perfect Portuguese.... thank you, kind from you to call me big brother

A smile attached for you.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• picture made now!.jpg
    picture made now!.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 553
Hi Carlos, nice to see you again, I just want to ask for your help. I know you are practical, me too. Now I have a slight problem with my amp.

It's very strange thing that my amp send out a continuos 1hz thump (amplitude of some 2V) at startup and when the whole thing get hot, this disappear. It annoyed me I have tried but can not find the clue yet.

Secondly my amp made the woofer go in and out a lot, I mean my woofer look so busy moving in and out but the bass vocal is so poor, can you help me improve this. I just can't understand that the sound of drum is so tough and powerful, but the sonic of bass vocal have discourage me

Thanks in advance:clown:

This strange motion, sub sonic motion into the diafragm normally is connected

To the differential.... one of them can be with bad connections into the colector load for instance.... check the differential...all parts and connections.

The power on Thump is normal in many amplifiers.. and 2 Volts is also nothing very strange.... a lot of units have this effect...or defect if you prefer. It is normally caused by the time wasted to charge condensers, big condensers use to make that into the differential... condensers between resistances.... rail condensers after resistances... charging slowly.

When the amplifier is bootstrapped, also can be caused by too much big bootstrapp condenser.

Was very difficult to finish with that into the Dx Standard and the High Resolution too... i have used small condensers and zener to the rails...so.... things happens so fast that you normally do not feel the effect.... in the reality, the charging cicle happens so fast the speaker just have not time to move.... they move as result of big dinamic off set caused by the charging... takes some time to stabilize voltages into the differential and bootstrapp... this produces the whole thing.

Are you having this with Symassym or having the effect/deffect (depends point of view about) into the Dx amplifier.... i hope not... send me the schematic of your unit by direct mail, this way i will able (I hope) to help you.

You are a perfectionist related the power on thump.... this is common and normally do not disturb people.... professional equipments have relays with delay to insert the speaker into the power amplifier output to avoid those things, because there are people, alike you, that want things perfect..... maybe, after fix your woofer fluctuations, if your power on thump continues, a good idea is to use the relay and the protection too.

For protection, Nordic is the man..he can suggest and help you better than i can, because i never bothered with that stuff...i am a more simple guy... i use fuses and ready to go.

I hope you are fine, i am watching you constructing things around...last time you were posting into Symassym thread....nice amplifier that one.... good choice...congratulations.

Also i could read you made several modifications into Symassym...if you are having problems with that stable amplifier, it is possible that your modifications are causing the problem..so..i suggest you to return to standard...also you are using 66 volts...... man!...i use the name Destroyer..but you are the real one..ahahahahaha!

Also the Dx amplifier, non modified, do not use to present problems alike that too.

Go to my mail with your schematic.

panzertoo@yahoo.com

regards,

Carlos

Thank for your instance reply, I appreciated your information on amp and most of all your nice talk.

I think I have found some clue, it must be my wrong wiring of the amp ground to the chassis. I'm having a test on my amp now, it seem to be stable now.

About amp sound, I notice that my amp have a lively, tough bass but the bass is not warm enough. I think it must be smt relating to output devices. I 'd like to ask you about choosing devices to have desired sonics.

regards

2SC2922 and complementary, by Sanken, use to sound excelent

I have made substitution of mine 2SC5200 from toshiba, to the Sankens and i found better sound.

The advantage i have perceived was into the trebles.

I know you have perceived advantages into the bass.

I am Sanken Addicted.... i have strong appreciation into this Brand..since the early chips they used to make into the seventies.

regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos, I have to say I have been very happy with the protection chips I added, I can't notice any negative impact on the sound, I think to an extent that it is not a limiter but merely a switch.

I need to rework my PCB as I have overwritten the one I built with a part SMD version for production once my budget looks a little better...

It has about 2 second delay on power on, before it connects the speaker, and it disconnects the speaker immediately if it senses DC on the output or that you disconnected the AC mains source, which prevents any pops and sounds, not that I can remember any of the DX or HRIIs I build without protection haveing had a pop, maybe a bit of a soft woosh sound when you switched them off... but very gentle, not a danger.

It can be build to switch on and off itself if it detects an error condiction, but I chose the latching option, where if it goes into protection it needs to be powered down and on again...

Did you build DX original or HRII?

Both of them have a drastic improvement in the bass with large caps (I use 10000uf) as close as possible to the output pair...

Also if you build the HRII, there is a small error in the original schematics and even the current silkcreen, which shows the input caps as 2u2... on the HRII it should be much higher than this, at least 4u7, but higher up to say 10uf will probably only do good, I'm useing 6u8 input caps now....

I love that "woosh" sound.... i have to wait a lot untill it sounds

Because the supply has a lot of condensers, and this delays a lot....more than 15 seconds i think.

That "woosh" when the power gone.... and condensers discharged is wonderfull.... sound to me as a good bye...i use to say bye to it when do that.

You know!... i am very crazy... i use to be there..waiting my lovely woosh!...ahahahahahha

And you want to cut my woosh out?..... you..... you.... ahahahahhaa

Thank you all informs..... i have assembled many Dx and Many HRII.... with all possible condensers into the input..... with big ones bass is a little bit better ...you are rigth about those things.

Here is a picture of Recife.... Brasil.... as sunny and hot day starting now... and i will be listening my woosh today.

People is lovely... each one more crazy than the other one...you say:

- "I'm Einstein!"

And the other answer you:

- "You're not so important, because i am Napoleón!"

hehe

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• good morning from brasil.jpg
    good morning from brasil.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 507
Dx Corporation provides you the nicest, the most delicious "Woosh" sound after power

off..... wait for it and enjoy the nice decay of its oscilating sonics.... audio frequency oscilation decay tone...the beautifull woosh is unique feature on Dx Corporation.

Enjoy the woosh..... avoid ugly thump and relay clicks.... install a
"woosh" in your life!

Dx Corporation, reserves to itself the rigth to make modifications and to transform the "woosh in waash or something nice"

* "Woosh, registered feature, is guaranteed only after condenser discharge"

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• yesssssss!.jpg
    yesssssss!.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 473
Status
Not open for further replies.