Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply Carlos -- that's good because I have 10 of them :D

Nogoodboyo -- A character in a play "Under Milk Wood" by Dylan Thomas. It's a Welsh thing. I like that play a lot. I am Welsh -- from Wales -- although I live in California, US now. The flag with dragon is the Welsh flag. It's a cool flag, and so is the Brazil flag -- I always liked the Brazil flag, even when I was a kid, it's very nice flag.

I'm still loving the DX Standard -- it's playing music beautifully!

Thank you, nice informs about you Andrew... i am happy to know about you a little

bit more..... interesting Wales..... very interesting Andrew.

The Standard made me give up about the Precision..... was a very complicated schematic i was trying, so many parts...had heat into CCS i have made to the driver transistors, double supply, double voltage regulator, one for the entire amplifier and another to control the rail over voltage (more 5 volts to input).... CCS in the place of the old and good bootstrapp, a new arrangement into the input with more two transistors, a new VAS with one more transistor was under test ...and all those things made it a little bit better, in sonic precision, compared to HRII and hundred miles less warm sonics compared to DX Standard.

I felt the normal one very nice to listen.... a more natural sound... a perfect name Yamaha have used to those kind of bootstrapped simple schematics, they use and have used into hundreds of models.... this is the main Yamaha characteristic, the nice warm sound.. deep bass, nice trebles that do not brigth too much and voices into the correct proportion.... a correct ratio of sounds, very ballanced, very nice sound...i still listen and i still apreciate it too.

Better than Dx Standard is some old models from Aksa, the designer, our forum friend Hugh Dean, have used some sub circuits and some interesting methods of tuning, including clever selection of parts and a very good circuit board.... the sound stage and treble is superior compared to the Dx Standard.

The 55 is still the best amplifier, in sound quality, i have ever listened..... into Precison of sonics i would stay with the Soraya model, one of the last models Hugh made.

It is interesting...not only technical things into amplifiers, there's some art to make them, the choices you make produces different sound... the capacitors, the transistors choices, the feedback line, the matching... all those things goes contributing in small ammounts..also the bias point is extremelly important... to work cold, to have small bias, the sound of class AB.... you see, i have made many standard units, here in my home, no one sounded exactly the same... i have not a pair, even the ones i have made with "professional" boards provided by Greg Erskine, ... last days i have tried to use the same parts into the left and rigth channels... i continue to perceive one of them more brigth into the trebles.... and i have inverted them to check again.... also i have inverted speakers and tried headphone.... strange... and very crazy...unexpected by me... they sound different.

You unit can sound even better than mine... or maybe the opposite... i think that will be hard to be the same.... this is something interesting, but i have to say that was not something i have ever dream.... i would prefer that they sounded exactly the same... that search of precision, perfection...hehe... do not exist in our world...this is the problem...even the Universe was created and understood as a sequence of accidents.(things that happens naturally without our control, without perfect logics..just happens)

I am showing, into the attachment, one of the Precision ideas...i have made 6 different Precision to produce comparison and to select the better one... this one was the second more complicated...i felt that was too much parts, too much complication, the input needed extremelly precise matching, the bias needed perfect adjustment to sound great...and the advantage was small..... this has that strange feeling we have when we have to install a turbo, to replace the engine overhead cam shaft, to install a high pressure oil pump, an oil radiator (cooler) in front of the engine, under the front bumper, to change the manifold to produce different displacement, special rounded head pistons, special material to camshaft and piston, special multi spark ignition, fuel injection and a lot of other things and you realize that you could now jump from 100 miles an hour to only 110!..... no good enougth... too much work, parts and money to a very small advantage.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• dx precision ccs.pdf
    18.4 KB · Views: 134
Hi Carlos,

You wrote >>
I felt the normal one very nice to listen.... a more natural sound...<<

The DX has fewer sub stages introducing HF phase change within the NFB loop.
Thus the C.dom which is necessary to ensure stability does not allow NFB loop sensed error to generate a LS damping current which is in quadrature with music signal input voltage at AF frequencies.
This abberation can be mistaken for 'detail' upon loudspeaker reproduction, but is a very low level addition which eventually becomes tiring, just like a LS resonance can be.

Sometimes two steps forwards can make for much more than two steps back, even though each step on its own might have been beneficial from the original starting point.

Cheers ......... Graham.

Just installed new fuses and powered my baby on....

MAN, IT SOUNDS GOOOOOOOD, goose pimples and tears good.

Thank you for this wonderfull amp, DX is good, very nice for parties, lots of bass... HRII has accurate and precise reproduction, with incredible detail, and it is in a class of its own, superior to plain DX in every way.

I just can't get over how good it sounds after a week of listening to a chipamp.

Bass is definately even beter with 6u8 sonicaps I have on the input. My sound is still detailed but HF and LF seems better matched now... left jumper on pin 2 and 3 so HF boost is switched off.

Listening to Sting now... something I know very well, and guess what, it sounds all new, I can listen to this for hours.

WONDERFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi DX,

Using of zener diode (Uz>1.2V) as reference for the VAS's CCS will cause you won't have enough drive voltage in the positive output.
That's why people use to use two series silicon diodes here.
With silicon diodes the loss is 2×Ud-Vbe=2×0.6V-0.6V=0.6V.
With a say 5.6V zener diode the loss would be 5V.

Best regards,

Many, many thanks dear Nordic..... i am listening the music in my mind

" I Feel Good! "

And those things you said made me decide to listen and dance the music "footloose"... music theme of the same music...down the eigthies....hummm...happy music, nice drunk guitar solo..beautifull!

regards nephew, uncle is very happy with your words.

Carlos

......................................................................................................

Mi hermano de Argentina

Man!..... hermano!.... i have tried....you know.... i could perceive nothing... into the waveshape we have some contributions... as the series resistance reduces the capacitive effect..... so, into waveform you may reduce a little the triangle shape....or saying better... the triangle shape, effect resulted of those capacitors into the VAS, start to triangulate, to take the triangle shape latter...if not into 60 kilohertz...will start into 80 kilohertz.

Well...also i cannot listen 50 kilohertz or something... i doubt this can disturb the 15 kilohertz bandwidth i can hear.

The resistance associated in series with the capacitor results a little bit softer... that combination seems something alike extension of purity signal into the bandwidth...more large band without the triangle effect.

Yamaha made.... i am addicted to those guys.... in special because they had not suffered by the technologisms (Techncisms... ideology of complications) of our times... the sophistication disease...the mood, the gimick, to install a lot of complicated things into amplifiers.... they have perceived sound good (Yamaha designers, enginneers and staff) and they are not touching into something was already very good.... and still beeing very good.

I am into a relief...i was inserted into the disease...was sick too...now i think i am fine.... i could see the standard dx qualities compared with the charm of a lot of auxiliary sub circuits.... i also illude myself with those things.

We use to see beauty, and sophistication into electronics as a quality.... as something special...me too.... but.... imagine the pretty girl.... let's say..... Bunchen.... Giselle Bundchen..... beautifull she is...but go to leave with her...than you will see the truth behind the pretty face..... complicated and pretty things, or misterious chips that we cannot see inside use to fascinate us...go and listen and you will realise the damn true.

But.... market exists.... into our diy group there are our own need to be well accepted...and folks likes complicated things...they feel passion when they see a lot of beautifull parallel resistances, small ones, to "create" the powerfull emitter resistance...so... the board seems alike a gun machine with those bullets one aside the other...pretty thing...people loves those things.

No!... absolutelly... complications do not turns a-l-l-w-a-y-s sound better...just sometimes.

those things are a little competence, a little magic...having contribution if you are lucky or not lucky... to join nice ideas together and also select good parts... when my friends do that... joining ideas with nice parts selection i feel very happy...but i know... they had their own luck and magic into parts selection.

You may try dear Hermano.... it is excelent when we conclude by ourselves...unfortunatelly, with 56 years old.... listening only to 15K now a days..i could not appreciate the benefits of those modifications...but i imagine, i believe, i feel that is very possible that advantages exists.

regards,

Carlos

Hey nephew!...gimme two!...gimme...gimme

Give me two if possible.... include together the boards you will send to Dudainc.

I would be happy to listen that one too..... i think many folks have that same curiosity.

Mine is very big... i want to put a standard JLH made specially to compare...one together the other.....switching A to B... using 2 watts and trying also 10 watts.

I would like to see the advantages...if they really exists... and how big they are.

regards,

Carlos

......................................................................................................

Hey dear Graham

I thank you by your comments...but sometimes you seem to me an extra terrestrian that landed on earth... talking about advanced technologies i cannot understand.

But i could understood that simple is good...we have agreement on that!

Sorry by my ignorance.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• gimme.jpg
    gimme.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 384
Ahahahah.... great...not needed so many

I would be happy with you doing with me also!

Take some for you.... hehe.... yes...i use to burn....what about 3?

regards,

Carlos

Muchas gracias por tu felicitaciones hermano.

A grand cumpleanos hermano, muchos annos de salud.

Carlos

Attachments

• yeah!!!!.jpg
    yeah!!!!.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 369
This was great.... i will prepare boards to test them.... that one and JLH

This Christmas will be special to me....new home.... better relatioship with wife... my dear daugther are around me daily...i found my nephew lost in london... HR II already made it's take off into the heavens direction...going to our friend's hands...loosing some weigth and tests to make... the Super Hiper Ultra specially sophisticated and extremelly clever circuit made by Roender against our best example.... Mr. John Lindsey Hood.

No!... i will not make this a thread or something like that....i want just to know to myself...if nearby friends ask i will tell my conclusions in the future...not to bother Roender or the one that already passed to other dimension.

What i want to confirm, or to dennie, to reinforce or to accept doubts is what i use to think and observe.... complicated things do not sounds very good....i want to check those things once more.

I think Symassym is complicated.... more than HRII.... and sounds good..has that strange transistor with base to ground as voltage splitter maybe.. an exception that complication (to my mind) into a circuit sounding fine .... i will see that next year...during January.

The logic thinking tells me that every part you put into an amplifier will play something into the final result...so... the less parts you use will be better... this is my now a days idea.... as i have doubts, i want to check this once again.

Thank you dear Nordic...very kind...yes...i need them... hard to me to find them...hard to me to spend money into hobby too.

Carlos

Attachments

• tks nephew!.jpg
    tks nephew!.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 363
Status
Not open for further replies.