Designing/creating a Dunlavy type speaker from the ground up

There's something in the water where you guys live... there seems to be so much more interest in Audio in the Scandinavian countries than in the rest of Europe! I'm only partially aware as my own project has triggered many PM contacts in the northern region :). I've seen some of the crazy stuff they do up there. All for good reason: A life filled with music is a fuller life!

Last edited:
Yeah... take a look at this one, all DIY, the subs are 8 driver 24" subs in what I think is 2400 liter total cabinet volume, for midbass there is 6 15" drivers .... pretty way over the top :p

test-jpg.637477

1-jpg.577210

subber-jpg.552580

Many more and the main lesson learned is that it seems like everyone who did unreal DIY subwoofers easily better the best commercial subs at significantly lower price....

There is one guy who have made a bass tower with 6 SB Acoustics 10" SW26DAC76-3-DV
Fully sealed, 25 liter per driver

These are replacing a stereo pair of Paradigm SUB1, end result is clearly better than the commercial product...

20210206_124459-jpg.695495

Instead of looking at what late Mr. Dunlavy did ages ago, would it be a way to look at what Philip Vafiadis does?

Vafiadis was working with John Dunlavy in the Duntech days in South Australia, he was doing design work with Dunlavy on several upscale speakers. Later on he founded VAF Research, which carries on forward the designs and thinking and principles of late Mr. Dunlavy. Maybe not 100% percent as most of the speakers are not fully sealed designs, maybe some adaption here to make them work in real rooms of today.

However, all the designs are first order true time/phase coherent designs and the upscale ones are WMTMW array designs...

I think these are pretty interesting things

Signature i93MKIII (Pair)

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Frequency Range 17Hz ~ 22kHz
Frequency Response 21Hz ~ 19kHz (±1.2dB)
Phase Response ±5° (100Hz ~ 20kHz)
Impedance 4 ohms (nominal)
Sensitivity 89dB (2.83V / 1m)
Amplifier Power up to 500W (recommended)
Dimensions 270mm (W) × 1510mm (H) × 500mm (D)
Weight 100kg (Gross)
Finishes: American Cherry, Australian Jarrah, Black Oak, Piano Black, Piano Palisander, Tasmanian Blackwood

i93_Palesander_PianoGloss_2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I know there are some fluffy words some places... Duntech claimed they measured each individual loudspeaker in anechoid chamber to tweak the crossover to perfect 1st order acoustical rolloff...
Dunlavy states he did the same.....

I talked to some representatives of Duntech stating that this is full crap and just sales pitches, Duntech never did, just using standard components across, this means driver variations would lead to imperfections in the rolloff behavior.

So is that cheating your customers? :confused:

As to VAF, I seen previously some limited measurments that seem to show real linear response and very textbook on phase/time, never seen anything on polar response, distortion figures, step response +++
Now they took all measurements off website

Last edited:
Dunlavy did measure every speaker anochoically.
He built a master speaker for each model.
He had driver’s rejected that fell outside of a window.
He matched drivers for speaker pairs, or more if needed.
I own a pair of sc-IV and a trio of sc-I’s that were purchased new from Dunlavy as a matched set. I have pulled every driver and ran on DAT 3 from PE.
They are all very very close to each other…
I have since bought SM1’s and built an HRCC and the HRCC it is obviously not gone through Dunlavy QC. It has measurable phase issues compared to IV’s , but still sounds amazing!

Instead of looking at what late Mr. Dunlavy did ages ago, would it be a way to look at what Philip Vafiadis does?

Vafiadis was working with John Dunlavy in the Duntech days in South Australia, he was doing design work with Dunlavy on several upscale speakers. Later on he founded VAF Research, which carries on forward the designs and thinking and principles of late Mr. Dunlavy. Maybe not 100% percent as most of the speakers are not fully sealed designs, maybe some adaption here to make them work in real rooms of today.

However, all the designs are first order true time/phase coherent designs and the upscale ones are WMTMW array designs...

I think these are pretty interesting things

Signature i93MKIII (Pair)

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Frequency Range 17Hz ~ 22kHz
Frequency Response 21Hz ~ 19kHz (±1.2dB)
Phase Response ±5° (100Hz ~ 20kHz)
Impedance 4 ohms (nominal)
Sensitivity 89dB (2.83V / 1m)
Amplifier Power up to 500W (recommended)
Dimensions 270mm (W) × 1510mm (H) × 500mm (D)
Weight 100kg (Gross)
Finishes: American Cherry, Australian Jarrah, Black Oak, Piano Black, Piano Palisander, Tasmanian Blackwood

I can not find any measurements on the VAF website….

A good speaker can be susceptible to bad placement.

Now, a designer could adjust their speaker for an undeniable response character. Something that would partly overpower demo room variations, recording variations.. even it's own flaws.. These might get tiring and monotonous after a while.

Absolutely, maybe I'm not so clear about this but one single demo may absolutely not pay justics to a speaker... but when a hi-end dealer proudly invite for a demo to highlight this fantastic speaker .... well :confused:

Dunlavy did measure every speaker anochoically.
He built a master speaker for each model.
He had driver’s rejected that fell outside of a window.
He matched drivers for speaker pairs, or more if needed.
I own a pair of sc-IV and a trio of sc-I’s that were purchased new from Dunlavy as a matched set. I have pulled every driver and ran on DAT 3 from PE.
They are all very very close to each other…
I have since bought SM1’s and built an HRCC and the HRCC it is obviously not gone through Dunlavy QC. It has measurable phase issues compared to IV’s , but still sounds amazing!

Yea ... I was just referring to what Kiat Low stated that he and Dunlavy did in the days at Duntech...
I do have a Dunlavy designed speaker myself and love them till the end of the world :p

Last edited:
Top image is one of my SC-IV run on the dat 3.
Bottom image is of my home built HRCC.
I bought an original Dunlavy HRCC crossover from a “member” here along with (4)
Scanspeak 25w8564-00 drivers- half of which came in trashed-that’s another story.
Phase is not nearly as good as DAL built speakers..
I understand this is just electrical phase but it shows detail to design.

Attachments

• 1592EF85-8AA2-4E0B-8BDA-E7475EDB3E59.jpeg
    1592EF85-8AA2-4E0B-8BDA-E7475EDB3E59.jpeg
    886.7 KB · Views: 119
  • B2A60F3B-8E07-4714-BECC-9A13E07FD4FE.jpeg
    B2A60F3B-8E07-4714-BECC-9A13E07FD4FE.jpeg
    792.1 KB · Views: 107
Yea ... I was just referring to what Kiat Low stated that he and Dunlavy did in the days at Duntech...
I do have a Dunlavy designed speaker myself and love them till the end of the world :p

Oh I got you.
I hate to be negative but….. do you think this could be a way of Kiat deflecting the naysayers
that would say … “ why buy Duntech if John Dunlavy isn’t here to QC speakers” ?
I don’t mean any disrespect to you, I am just jaded in general.
Also, I will be the first to admit I suffer from an unhealthy dose of nostalgia.
Southpark memberberries-seen those episodes?

Last edited:
@johnnyk9 I have no idea, and anyways, I do have the uttermost respect for Duntech and Kiat Low. Those guys are doing what seems like great work with new products...
No disrespect seen here :p

I didn´t see southpark but great admirer of Cheers, Seinfeld, especially the one where George is trying to date Marisa Tomei :D

Yeah I know there are some fluffy words some places... Duntech claimed they measured each individual loudspeaker in anechoid chamber to tweak the crossover to perfect 1st order acoustical rolloff...
Dunlavy states he did the same.....

I talked to some representatives of Duntech stating that this is full crap and just sales pitches, Duntech never did, just using standard components across, this means driver variations would lead to imperfections in the rolloff behavior.

So is that cheating your customers? :confused:

As to VAF, I seen previously some limited measurments that seem to show real linear response and very textbook on phase/time, never seen anything on polar response, distortion figures, step response +++
Now they took all measurements off website
I think you are being very disrespectful and with all due respect to your comments about every driver/component being measured was crap and a sales pitch you have no idea what you are talking about. I was fortunate enough to live in South Australia when John was still here. I witnessed my Sovereigns being built first hand at the Modbury factory. Pair number 86A and 86B if you want to know. Every driver and passive component was tested, I watched this for my own pair. There was boxes of rejects for everything and boxes for components for above and below his acceptable limits. I was in the RAAF as a guided missile technician and spent many hours talking to JD about defence, antennas and missiles and all sorts of things.

Yes Vafiadis did work for Dunlavy, he is no longer associated with VAF the company has been sold to some marketing guys. I have been and listened to the i93 and they are not a shade on Johns work from any era. John never cheated anyone. I know what went into building his speakers, you don't.