[design log] Neat 2x170W I2S in, I2C controlled, integrated DSP amp (TAS3251)

Hello AIM 65,

I followed the video settings and got a waveform in purple. Is this a differential waveform?

Thank you.

Attachments

• diff.jpg
    diff.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 348
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Hi

Great !, that looks like the expected result.
Pink trace is what see the load resistor, this is the signal the loudspeaker will see, then the music you want to hear... : that's the useful signal.
Amplitude is twice amplitude of each output, which is exactly what we expect from a BTL configuration.

Why doing this ?
Now you can hide channel 1 and channel 2 in order to only get on screen pink trace ( ch1-ch2), then repeat your measurement in post #365 : magnify the signal in order to display and measure the residual 600kHz ripple. Then you will be able to compare it with the useful signal (1kHz sine wave) and calculate the ripple ratio with some easy math.
But without doing math, the scope shows that the pink trace is less noisy than the yellow and the blue. As the two class D amp connected to Vout- and Vout+ are synchronous, the 600kHz ripple is synchronous too and the difference of the two signal cancel the ripple. Which should leads you to the conclusion that additional filtering is not necessary.

I'll try to measure on my setup (still a prototype ...) and report later.

Chris

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Hi Knee266,

This i what I get.
First trace @200us/div time base shows 1kHz signal on output resistor (8) with 5.3Vpp.
Second trace @5us/div time base shows same signal but highlight the 600kHz part with approximatively 200mVpp. Not null, but ok.

Chris

Attachments

• 600k_ripple.jpg
    600k_ripple.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 315
Project status & how to proceed

Hello, my first post on this forum with (apologies in advance) a bunch of questions.

If I understand correctly from reading the forum, you have been successful in implementing the TAS3251 hardware and software using a kicad design based upon the TI evaluation kit. Congratulations to all, it's a remarkable achievement! I understand your design is non-commercial open source for DIY. Further, there will be no more boards available for purchase from the original project instigators. For those thinking of getting involved, could I ask:

• Where are the kicad source files? I don't see them on either GitHub, only PDF schematics, nor have I found them on the forum by several keyword searches.

• Has the performance of the final design been measured? (Power, noise, THD, IHD)

• A list of required equipment would be great. I guess a hot-air soldering station as a minimum. Eg, do you consider it necessary to have an oscilloscope for debugging?

• I understand the TI data sheets have many errors. Has a list of corrections been produced? Has TI been informed of these errors?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
After I using the second L/C filter, the 600KHz carrier amplitude almost disappeared.
But I saw the resonance frequency(70KHz @42mVpp~100mVpp) of the first LC and other carriers on 7xKHz waveform.
Does CLASS D really contain so many frequencies?

Thanks,

Attachments

• 123152.jpg
    123152.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Hello, my first post on this forum with (apologies in advance) a bunch of questions.

If I understand correctly from reading the forum, you have been successful in implementing the TAS3251 hardware and software using a kicad design based upon the TI evaluation kit. Congratulations to all, it's a remarkable achievement! I understand your design is non-commercial open source for DIY. Further, there will be no more boards available for purchase from the original project instigators. For those thinking of getting involved, could I ask:
  • Where are the kicad source files? I don't see them on either GitHub, only PDF schematics, nor have I found them on the forum by several keyword searches.

• Has the performance of the final design been measured? (Power, noise, THD, IHD)

• A list of required equipment would be great. I guess a hot-air soldering station as a minimum. Eg, do you consider it necessary to have an oscilloscope for debugging?

• I understand the TI data sheets have many errors. Has a list of corrections been produced? Has TI been informed of these errors?

Hi Paul,

• I have one board left and also some parts.
  • I have no measurement available, maybe JMF11 does, same for pcb files.
  • Hot air gun is not mandatory, to solder the TAS3251 may be a bit tricky, but with a good iron, good solder wick, leaded solder and some training, this should be alright.
  • TI knows about data sheet quality.
  • During the software design process I encounter many data sheet error, but some workarounds have always been found.

Chris

Hello Paul,

To answer your questions:

They are availlable for hobbyists with Open Hardware mind. You can PM

I don't have the equipment to do this type of measurements (and as an hobbyist, I prefer doing listening tests). However, I see no reason that the figures would be very different from those from TI documents. The design uses the best coils identified in TI survey and better caps. This could generate differences in listening tests, not sure in measurements.

I have been using an Aliexpress basic soldering station with hot air and iron, Aliexpress magnifying glass, multimeter. Oscillo is good to have access to if something does not go as expected, but in my idea it is not mandatory. Good to know where you could find one if in need. I soldered the TAS3251 with soldering paste, hot air, and a mini stencil made in mylar with a laser cutter.

They have not been so responsive either on TI e2e website. AIM65 did a really good job to identify some workaround to tricky issues.

All in all, I think that this board is a "perfect" module for active speakers in a digital system, combining I2S input, DSP, DAC and TPA3251 power stage.

There is no commercial intention, and objective is to make available something with good quality components, that would allow easy tweaking to fit exact neeeds: easily change caps and selfs to adjust to speaker impedance, or personal tastes.

To complement AIM65 proposal, there are still 2 partially populated boards available for experiments.

Hi Chris

Thanks for your response. One board might be good for practice, but not so much for stereo crossover. I guess the quality of this would be fine for my ears, having experienced only low end hifi / upper end consumer grade but am looking at this as an interesting project to fit out a listening room for retirement. Still I want the best I can get without spending a fortune. I'm currently experimenting with DIY panel speakers, so looking for the simplest solution for building digital crossover and eq. I've not done any DIY hifi before now, but have programming skills and enough of a background in electronics (training but no practical experience) to follow documentation etc.

Catching up on what's available in hifi just recently after many years, I was surprised that multi-channel 'all digital' amp / filter systems seem to be still a rarity. Surprised for example that home theatre systems don't cater for it, given that they already have the requisite machinery inside the box.

Paul

Last edited:
All in all, I think that this board is a "perfect" module for active speakers in a digital system, combining I2S input, DSP, DAC and TPA3251 power stage.

Yes, you described it well in your very first post.

I need to read the forum and datasheet and think about whether I'm up for the challenge.

With the soldering, I think i could be ok provided it's clearly visible when the solder has melted and bonded (ie not hidden underneath). It would be a nightmare to track down dry joints I expect.

The Mylar stencil is just a set of holes where the PCB pads are, correct?

Thanks, Paul

Yes, the stencil is what yo describe. Combined with a adequate thickness, you can deposit exactly the right amount of solder paste exactly where needed. Put the chip and hot air => done

You cal also drag solder as descibed in wonderful tutorials from Androkavo on youtbe, like SMD Soldering - Common Packages - YouTube

I had the same fear as you for the soldering, as I had not done such thing before. It is still a challenge and the important moment... but definitly doable. I had bought on Aliexpress some SMD practice kits to train and experiment a bit before. I did not regret that.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Hi Sebastien

I have a kit available with a board factory populated (JLCPCB) and some additional parts sourced at DigiKey :

• Panasonic FC ecap : 2* 2200uF/50V
  • Elna SILMIC ecap : 4* 10uF/50V
  • TDK/EPCOS film cap : 4 * 680nF / 1k
  • Würth inductor SMD : 1 * 150uH / 770mA / 0.57R
And also the very useful stencil made by JMF11 to solder the TAS3251 !

PM me if interested.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 363
Hello,

the 3 cards are here and components too, missing the TAS3251 and C8 arriving for the end of June!!!!

I started welding some components and I study the datasheet and note. I can't weld all components because I need place to weld the TAS. I'm going to weld some connectors and test supply voltage and wait.

I have customized the heatsink too.

To be continued.....

Attachments

• Photo0080.jpg
    Photo0080.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 295
  • Photo0079.jpg
    Photo0079.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 284