Defying Conventional Wisdom Worked. Hybrid ESL

Here's a minute or two of Michael Jonaz. Clearly, something is making those two really loud bass notes at 38 and 55 Hz. That should shake the dinner plates on your kitchen table.

Attachments

• Michel Jonaz.jpg
    Michel Jonaz.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 161
OK, I couldn't resist. Here's Malia and Boris link, first minute or two. This is great music for the simple folks who pull up to stop-lights in their car next to mine with music booming out. As far as true low bass... not much compared to substantial booming 80 Hz. Not a whole lot below that last big peak at 52 Hz.

Attachments

• Mahlia and Boris.jpg
    Mahlia and Boris.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 156
Here's a a French organ piece I like for bass. That note at 16 Hz is real enough if not loud and it is a great thrill when the pedal just peaks through in background of silence at the end of the movement (and shakes my window panes).

Attachments

• Adagio organ and noise RTA elec.jpg
    Adagio organ and noise RTA elec.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Cabin gain is your friend in car audio. 20-30 dB of natural boost is handy when you want loud bass.

Plot here:
Does Anyone Understand Cabin Gain | DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum

Massive power, large excursion, and/or many woofers are also helpful. Multi-thousand watt car amplifiers for the bass end are pretty common these days at relatively low prices.

Fascinating article. Guys used to scour the surplus store where I worked to grab up all the large electrolytics. They had extra generators, massive power. I asked one why he did it. "Because I can", he replied. Guy I knew worked at a car stereo install place. Common complaint: It just isn't as loud as it was 3 months ago. It wasn't the rig, it was their ears. They were going deaf at low frequencies.

Sorry , wrong forum...haha
:D How conversations digress, but it's natural. Insane bass must lead to over the top mobile madness, four wheel fatuous, 60 MPH senseless. In the demo, the bass overdrove the mic, so you couldn't hear anything. I doubt the guy could hear anything either. That system driven at one quarter power would make your ears bleed. In a "how far can you chunk a pumpkin" sort of way, I understand. But it has nothing to do with music.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
:D How conversations digress, but it's natural. Insane bass must lead to over the top mobile madness, four wheel fatuous, 60 MPH senseless. In the demo, the bass overdrove the mic, so you couldn't hear anything. I doubt the guy could hear anything either. That system driven at one quarter power would make your ears bleed. In a "how far can you chunk a pumpkin" sort of way, I understand. But it has nothing to do with music.
That guy was clearly in pain, struggling to keep his smile.
That's just plain stupid. :cool:

Hey, share some pics if you got'em!

Finally got a pic. It is just the right channel side. 2 of the panels died from spacer shrinkage, (I've had this happen more than once, acrylic spacers shrinking on exposure to heat or sunlight) They are standard Sanders laminates. I was using the 2 that survived (barely) one on each side when I got onto other things. The hinge spacing was slightly different so it was a trick to move the left panel to the right for the picture. The panels are about 48 inches, with an active diaphragm area about 44 x 7.5 D/S .070'' Crossover at 600.

I spent some time at your site. Very impressed. Really beautiful work and so much good information there. Now I get the wire stator thing. I like how the dispersion could be easily changed. Bypass the resistors for laser beam focal point listening, then back to normal for guests.

I absolutely have to at least make one plasma arc test unit, then need to rebuild my rig. After that I might go for large wire stator panels. I have a 30,000 foot roll of 22 gauge enameled wire. What do you think of using that?

Attachments

• IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 169
The funny part is all the crazy things I tried to get enough drive voltage. Good high turns ratio tube output transformers were expensive and hard to find at the time. Once again, conventional rhetoric was that you couldn't exceed 50 to 1 because stray capacitance and leakage inductance would cause resonance in the audio band, good transformers were not being made, lost art, and so on.

So I tried everything. Audio 4 ohm to 70 volt wasn't enough, neon transformers had no high end. I even tried automotive induction coils. Got plenty of voltage, but they rang like a bell at 10k or so. You won't believe what worked fairly well: I unwound the 70 volt transformers and put in a 2 ohm tap, hooked the 70 volt secondary to the primary of a Collins power transformer. 300 watt, 830 volt center tapped secondary, max working volts, 900. I know it shouldn't have worked, but it did. No resonance. I've heard people rave about Collins gear, but they made a good audio transformer and didn't know it. Eventually I replaced them with the Sowter transformers at 100 to one, Sanders admonition on exceeding 50 to 1 not withstanding. Lost art? The Sowters are pi wound, like an RF choke. Reduces capacitance, works great. Very small, did the job.

After that I might go for large wire stator panels. I have a 30,000 foot roll of 22 gauge enameled wire. What do you think of using that?

Not the best option. Volume resistivity of the insulation is too high (too good an insulator). For an ESL, you want to be able to bleed off the charge after an overvoltage event. This is discussed in the old Janszen patents and in the Strickland/Acoustat paper "The Techology of Full-Range-Element Electrostatic Loudspeakers".

At lower drive levels you may be OK, but if you are pushing the panel very hard, you'll run up against the limitations of the insulation.

Not the best option. Volume resistivity of the insulation is too high (too good an insulator). For an ESL, you want to be able to bleed off the charge after an overvoltage event. This is discussed in the old Janszen patents and in the Strickland/Acoustat paper "The Techology of Full-Range-Element Electrostatic Loudspeakers".

At lower drive levels you may be OK, but if you are pushing the panel very hard, you'll run up against the limitations of the insulation.

As Cookie Monster often said, "It boggles the mind." I'll have to study that some more. I found the paper: http://www.audiocircuit.com/A-PDF/AA-Brands/A/Acoustat-ACO/GEN-John_Strickland_-A-EN2-941-ACO.pdf

I was very interested in the 2 transformer interface. They claim it's better than direct drive amps. I know a few here who might disagree...

Attachments

• esltrans.png
    esltrans.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 137