dddac1543 mk2 ** modular design ** USB & SPDIF input **

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Duede,

After some more reading in your web site, you have convinced me to use the battery as a power supply for my design, as I was unawere of this auto charge battery.
I have 2 questions :

1) Can you give a reference where to get this 29 euro auto charge battery, what make/model is that ?

2) What are the dimensions of the boards ?
I need accurate info as I wan to know whether they fit into my cd player.

Thanks.
Tim.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
toman_9 said:
Hi Duede,

After some more reading in your web site, you have convinced me to use the battery as a power supply for my design, as I was unawere of this auto charge battery.
I have 2 questions :

1) Can you give a reference where to get this 29 euro auto charge battery, what make/model is that ?

2) What are the dimensions of the boards ?
I need accurate info as I wan to know whether they fit into my cd player.

Thanks.
Tim.

Hi Tim,

no problem :)

to 1) I used the Reichelt one: BCA 12-1
"Ladegerät für 12V 3,4-24 Ah PB-Akkus"
link to reichelt
Reichelt

to 2) usb 50x100 spdif 100x100 dac 90x100 all mm :D

regards
doede

Joined 2003
Paid Member
12 Cents said:
Cool, what is that for a PC? How much did you pay? How much for that 80GB disk?

Regards,
Lukas

edit: ok I saw it. A PC in just that touchscreen case, that would be nice..

if you follow the links on that page, you can download a datasheet.... it is called the DT166, AMD Geode based 533MHz

I paid 280 Euro. The HD was 91 Euro ....

doede

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: PCs?

Elso Kwak said:
Why not a Mini-Mac? What do I know about computers?:eek:

MAC is not doing straight bits out, but making some kind of apple format (you see, apple is not my strong side as well :xeye: )

and is more expensive. But for sure it will work.

I have tried the USB-DDDAC on an Apple Notebook, works perfectly and immediately :)

By the way, is there Foobar2000 for Mac ? :devilr:

doede

My listening impressions of usb so far

After reading so many things about USB - it's amazing, the best thing since sliced bread, etc... I decided I should try it out for myself and compare against my base system to see whether it met it's reputation or whether, like most things in audio, it was a load of hot air. Music used was varied, ripped using Plextools and losslessly encoded. Music played off a Mac Mini

My base set up is Cyrus Diskmaster --> Benchmark DAC1 --> Active XO ---> Pass Labs Aleph3 / UCD 180 --> Linkwitz Orion

I built myself a USB-SPDIF converter using a PCM2706 (thanks to TI sample programme), powered off bus. Sound was long way behind Cyrus/Benchmark combination, bass 'one notey' to the point of being unlistenable and a very high audible noise floor. Positives, a bit more detail it seemed in med / high frequencies, but to be honest I couldn't listen to more than 15mins without switching the damn thing off.

Then I built a USB front end for my TDA1541 nonos dac (PCM2706 outputting straight I2S), which hitherto was using a CS8412 receiver with local clock, I2S reclocking based on Doede's original schematics and DEM clocking. When I was using this with the Cyrus I actually preferred it to the Benchmark. With the USB front end - first impressions are that bass 'one note' sound is completely removed, actually it is more chunky and rounded than that from the Cyrus/Benchmark. Also the high noise floor seems to be ameliorated, but it still seems higher than when fed by the Cyrus. There's more musicality and flow to the music, but less dynamics and less energy. Detail during busy patches seems slurred. Overall a less satisfying experience!

At this stage I can think of a few tweaks I can make to the USB front end - maybe Tent Labs 12Mhz oscillator (ordered, but not yet arrived) and re-implementation of DEM clocking driven off a buffered bitclock will restore things? Power supply is current sourced shunt regulator, so not that much improvement I can make there....

One things for certain though, having all your cds available at the touch of a button is the dogs danglies!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It is all about implementing it right.... did you also try PC, or only the mac ?

copied this from BD-Design Forum: interesting:

Hi all,

Being a Mac-user since 1987, and being owner of a pair of DIY Oris horns with AER MD1 drivers, I followed all topics about Mac vs Windows on this forum with more than normal interest. So when Bert asked if someone would like to come and compare, I thought it would be a nice reason to go to Bert, listen to his new things and compare my Mac to the Windows system Bert uses. Problem was that my Mac (Powerbook G4 titanium 400 MHz, 2001) does not support USB2.0, needed for the twindac. I bought a PCI card with 2 USB2.0 outputs (59 euro) to solve this little problem.
More things I arranged in advance: I downloaded the latest version of iTunes, made some space on the only 10 gig harddisk and ripped 3 CD's to AIFF format
Last friday I drove to Bert to compare. Bert's laptop had a broken USB port, so he ripped the CD's I took there on his Windos PC in a few minutes. We made the same playlist on both the Mac and the PC
and started listening to the PC. Not new for Bert, but I was surprised by the sound, being clear, transparant, with a wide and deep stage, things I can reach at home only with certain vinyl records.
after about 20 minutes we switched to the Mac. Soon we were sure that, although the sound was not bad at all, it did not reach the level of the PC. It sounded a bit dull, flat. Bert suggested to try an other format, so I put some tracks on the Mac in WAV format. Listening again. Although better than the AIFF format we still could hear the difference very well. The soundstage being not as wide and not as deep as the PC. You could hear less of the environment on the Mac, the voice of the singer comming from below in stead of from the middle, it missed the feeling of being there.
To make a real fair test we finaly put my PCI card in Bert's PC laptop, so this computer could be connected to the twindac. Listenig again made sure that the PCI card was not the bottleneck. It even sounded a little better than the PC we started with.

So, sorry for me and all other Mac-users:
Mac with iTunes does not sound as good as a WIndows PC configured the way Bert did.
The promblem seems to be that there is no way to configure the Mac/I tunes. Window-users can ajust the amount of memory used, overrule the volume adjustment and so on. On a Mac I at least am not able to. Maybe someone can write/program a Mac-application that lets you configure these things. (What you want in fact is a player that uses as much memory as possible and sends the digital data direct to the USB2.0 port without any interference). Maybe linux offers a possibility ?...

Mac vs Windows

Haven't tried mac vs windows yet, but note the comparison wasn't apples to apples, as Foobar had some thing called noise shaping turned on:

I quote "Output format set to 16 bit fixed point with strong ATH noise shaping". If noise shaping is used by Foobar obviously this is not a straight comparison mac vs windows, maybe it's more Foobar vs iTunes...

http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/forum_entry.php?id=9603

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.