Dayton Audio RS180P-8 - 11l ported enclosure - no bass

So I put 0.5inch of acoustic foam on all sides but the front of the sealed enclosure. Its a bit better in that the response doesn't look like mountain tops.

Sealed enclosure without damping. 450Hz= 85,5dB. Highest peaks are around 92dB.

Sealed enclosure with damping foam. 450Hz= 85dB. Highest peaks are around 91dB.

I'll try later with the bass-reflex, I'm out of damping material :)

1660807171540.png

I'm going to try it all.

Another thing I'm wondering, and I don't think there's much info about it. In my bass-reflex, I have two ports on the front, close to the speaker. So there are two plastic tubes sticking inside the middle of my enclosure. Don't they cause all sorts of reflections inside, taking away some of the damping power of the foam I am to apply?

Alternative I was thinking of is just using a slotted port, maybe going to the back of the enclosure. I could easily apply foam to the divider MDF panel, on the side facing the enclosure.

I wouldn't worry about reflections from the ports, they (in my opinion) are negligible. I would recommend using something other than your 1/2" foam. Loose fill is cheap and easy to get hold of and you can pack it in to achieve the density you want. It will provide a proof of concept at this stage of ironing out the response. I had some mineral wool/rockwool left over so used that and for me this or fibreglass is ideal and can be attached to the walls and out of the way.

Hmmmm, I avoid slot ports as they are difficult to adjust and owing to wall cabinet wall proximity rarely match sims. Also the aspect ratio can cause problems if too high causing (what a very clever member here coined) a "bass whistle". There is also a very in depth and good article on vents written by Scott Hinson (DIYRM) about flares and other such attributes that one may think are beneficial but can sometimes be the opposite. Give it a google and Facebook :)

Reactions: 1 users