DarTZeel, Stereophile's 2005 Amplification Component...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
davidsrsb said:
The simulation

Third harmonic is a few percent, which will be very audible.
The outout stage has a few nasty gm steps.

Many hifi reviewers are getting older, my own hearing is down to around 12 kHz now.
Maybe they like the "brightness" of serious distortion.

I dont think this amplifier is very good.
Maybe most of its quality is in its 'rich man's device' image.
At least I wouldnt build an amplifier with that setup.

I have seen maybe 10 more interesting amplifier designs
here at our forum.
;)

I dont think this amplifier is very good.
Maybe most of its quality is in its 'rich man's device' image.
At least I wouldnt build an amplifier with that setup.

I have seen maybe 10 more interesting amplifier designs
here at our forum.

Please confirm: All I have to do is to select (based on very obvious and widely agreed criteria) and build at least one of the "more interesting" amplifier designs and my jealousy of this semi-pro guy getting so much attention based on such an impertinent offer will remedy?

Btw. what do guys think of the dCS Verdi La Scala SACD transport & Delius D/A processor, Stereophile's 2005 Digital Source Components? Do you think it sounds good? Is it worth the 27'500.- USD? Hey, at least it won't be mistaken with jewelry and it's certainly got some serious piece of software loaded...

Hattori Hanzo said:
Btw. what do guys think of the dCS Verdi La Scala SACD transport & Delius D/A processor, Stereophile's 2005 Digital Source Components? Do you think it sounds good? Is it worth the 27'500.- USD? Hey, at least it won't be mistaken with jewelry and it's certainly got some serious piece of software loaded...

Yes, it sounds good, but a Linn Unidisk 1.1 sounds very good too, at less than half the price.
Never compared them directly, though.
Are they worth the money? That's another story. I would not pay that money, but that's me.

Are they worth the money?

It's not that much a question if it's worth the money, but rather if a similar performance level is possible with the other brands, at lower price point. If not, than they are certainly worth the money.

There is also a question if one is ready to appreciate and distinguish performance differences apects. If not, they should look to spend their money somwhere else;)

Well said, Peter. From the constant whining drone I hear on these forums about price, you'd think capitalism was some ancient undesirable method of organizing a market. Shall the government regulate audio gear pricing?

As to environmental standards, one perspective is that the west has merely exported environmental problems to the east to the extent the west gains from cheaper eastern labour. In this analysis, there exists no hard fast line between east and west (and lends to the uncomfortable view that the east is building an environmental trump card for the future, to perhaps be played just before it perhaps overtakes other world economies for other reasons).

Guys, I would not pay that money because I'm not rich, but in high-end unfortunately things cost what they sound and what they look, even if there's just a volume pot inside.

But these players are something different from the norm, and to make them lots of money was spent in R&D, and to build them is not cheap either.

Here is my two cents for what it’s worth (probably not much):

It’s interesting how many higher priced amps it beat out for Stereophile's amp of the year, it’s even more unusual as I can’t remember seeing any darTZeel advertisements in Stereophile, buy maybe I have to check again.

In case anybody is interested I found this comparison, done by a normal person not a reviewer under unspecified conditions comparing the XA-160 to the darTZeel:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/messages/86053.html

I hope somebody would undertake to build it. As the topology is published and it is even possible to see close ups of the board it shouldn’t be that hard for some one who knows what they are doing to build it and provide impressions. If somebody would have told me a few years ago and chip amps are high end I would have thought them mad.

It’s interesting that the amp is not even class-A however 75watts per channel is a high bias.

Leve

About dCS Verdi:
One more puzzle: I sell old audio equipment and when I have some Revox 226S or 126, people fight for them. All of my Philips CD960, CD880 just collecting dust in between. Any experience audiophile knows how much better are Philips models than Revox variants, but trend go on and on.

To be on topic again, can someone enlighten us with real schematic of darTZeel amp so some of us can try it and see what is all that buzz???

Chicoo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.