Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

USB Device Class definition for audio devices v.2 defines standard of using USB (I think 2.0 is required) for communication with audio devices. USB 2.0 is a physical protocol used by the uac2. If a cable conforms to USB 2.0 standard, it will work with any device-class protocol, including the audio protocol. The cable does not care what the bits sent as part of the USB 2.0 communication stream represent.

Changed my (beta) firmware through routine update this AM to 20.07-b200406, and either it honked up my cheap USB wifi stick or there's something else wrong with it. When I try setup - for now through ethernet - I find that the wifi stick is recognized and I can enter all the parameters that used to work before, but Daphile doesn't actually put any signals out.

What is the right course of action?

Changed my (beta) firmware through routine update this AM to 20.07-b200406, and either it honked up my cheap USB wifi stick or there's something else wrong with it. When I try setup - for now through ethernet - I find that the wifi stick is recognized and I can enter all the parameters that used to work before, but Daphile doesn't actually put any signals out.

What is the right course of action?
first try to check if the stick itself is still working. Best to test with a Windows-PC, since most of the WiFi-dongles are supported without adding drivers. If it works then you can try to see if your stick is recognized in linux: start a SSH-session (e.g. via Putty - account is "root", default password is "zaq") and check this page for some linux commands you can use: Connect to WiFi network from command line in Linux - blackMORE Ops
(I can't check this myself since I use an Ethernet connection)

I hope this can help you :)

OK, this problem is halfway solved. I used that brilliant blackMORE site to go through the testing. The stick antenna is good and with the site's help got through all the tests.

The issue is this: /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf doesn't change on command - either from ssh or from the Daphile "Network" GUI tab. Here's what happened when I tried to change it via ssh:

Code:
daph ~ # iw wlp0s18u1u1sta scan
BSS 40:9ba3:f7:28(on wlp0s18u1u1sta) -- associated
    TSF: 322805424898 usec (3d, 17:40:05)
    freq: 2422
    beacon interval: 100 TUs
    capability: ESS Privacy ShortPreamble ShortSlotTime (0x0431)
    signal: -23.00 dBm
    Information elements from Probe Response frame:
    SSID: [COLOR=Red]dlink-Fxxx[/COLOR]
    Supported rates: 1.0* 2.0* 5.5* 11.0* 6.0 9.0 12.0 18.0 
    DS Parameter set: channel 3

xx—————xx

daph ~ # wpa_passphrase [COLOR=SeaGreen]JNKYYY[/COLOR] >> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf <password_here>
daph ~ # cat /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
network={
    ssid="[COLOR=seagreen]JNKYYY[/COLOR]”
    #psk="<password_here>"
    psk=758c4e252d9d884eff3b2125fd5762098b7efd677fa359041749aba673d7fc0e
}

daph ~ # wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i wlp0s18u1u1sta -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
daph ~ # iw wlp0s18u1u1sta link
Connected to 40:9b:cd:a3:f7:28 (on wlp0s18u1u1sta)
    RX: 324298 bytes (2192 packets)
    TX: 30208 bytes (308 packets)
    signal: -23 dBm
    rx bitrate: 72.2 MBit/s MCS 7 short GI
    tx bitrate: 65.0 MBit/s MCS 6 short GI

bss flags:    short-preamble short-slot-time
    dtim period:    1
    beacon int:    100

daph ~ # cat /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
network={
    ssid="[COLOR=SeaGreen]JNKYYY[/COLOR]"
    #psk=“<password_here>”
    psk=758c4e252d9d884eff3b2125fd5762098b7efd677fa359041749aba673d7fc0e
}
daph ~ # iw wlp0s18u1u1sta scan
BSS 40:9b:cd:a3:f7:28(on wlp0s18u1u1sta) -- associated
    TSF: 325844897003 usec (3d, 18:30:44)
    beacon interval: 100 TUs
    capability: ESS Privacy ShortPreamble ShortSlotTime (0x0431)
    signal: -21.00 dBm
    Information elements from Probe Response frame:
     Supported rates: 1.0* 2.0* 5.5* 11.0* 6.0 9.0 12.0 18.0

And the reason this was a PITA is that I changed the static address of daph in order to switch access points on a different router on a different subnet. It didn't work, the static address had a different gateway.

So what I could use help with is making the change to /etc/wpa_supplicant such that daph will work on the new router.

I'm keeping the link to the referenced site, there are loads of times that will help me. Thanks.

Last edited:
@jetsilver

you can try to alter the config.sys file in /mnt/hdd/system/conf and add the static address. It contains all startup variables, this is part of my file:

net_configure_ip=static

net_hostname=daphile
net_static_dns_servers=10.0.0.1
net_static_ip_b1=10
net_static_ip_b2=0
net_static_ip_b3=0
net_static_ip_b4=10
net_static_router_b1=10
net_static_router_b2=0
net_static_router_b3=0
net_static_router_b4=1
net_static_subnet_b1=255
net_static_subnet_b2=255
net_static_subnet_b3=255
net_static_subnet_b4=0

Guys I need your help with copying the music content from an external USB HD to the HD
in the PC that runs Daphile.
Under storage the external HD is recognized but I simply cannot figure out how to copy the music.
I am running the latest version of the software i.e. 20.07-x86_64
In the storage menu the external HD is recognised as mentioned above, with the additional text
"Initialize new data drive"

Sincerely looking forward to your assistance.

Kind Regards
Thomas

USB 2.0 has a limit of how much data it can carry. Theoretical max should be 24-96 but it also depends on the hardware running it. Sometimes, devices struggle to get half of the max bitrate 2.0 is listed for.

No, that´s not correct. USB 2.0 is ample for hires audio with substantially more than 2 channels. I have here a RME setup which has no problems whatsoever recording 16 96kHz/24bit channels via USB 2.0. For stereo USB 2.0 imposes no limit for any known samplerate in use.

Daphile/Zen DAC Help

Hi All,
Long time lurker but first time poster here looking for help if possible please...
I have recently bought an Ifi Zen Dac and want to set it up with Daphile streamed from a music server (old PC) to a windows laptop running Squeezeplay.
I've got everything set up and running but would like to try upsampling my music to DSD on my server and sending it to the laptop to play via the Zen Dac.
I have searched for an idiot's guide to this but can't find anything.
Can anyone help me please and explain the steps that I need to take to upsample my FLAC files to DSD in Daphile and then stream the files to the laptop and into the Zen Dac to play them as DSD?
Thanks in advance for any help (and apologies for any stupid questions!),
Dave

A friend set up Daphile on a Lenovo T420 laptop a couple of years ago, but I wanted to change the drive to SSD, as I leave it running 24/7. The friend has reinstalled Daphile to the SSD (30gB), but if he shuts the laptop down and restarts it, it won't restart Daphile, but asks how you want to reboot. And then won't!
Is there a general problem with SSDs, or is there something simple he isn't doing? Or a newer version of Daphile needed? Any answers will have to be relayed to him, as I can barely turn a computer on, myself! :eek:

Hi all,
Firstly i wish you a nice and health day.i am using Daphile around two years but nowadays i have an interesting problem.
I bought a custom made LPS(Power Unit)and custom made again data and power ways seperated USB cable for my ifi Nano idsd dac and i am using 20.07-x86_64rt firmware(latest version)of Daphile.
I have tried some scenarios ;
Scenario 1: i am using my Oyaide Neo USB cable.HW Parameter is 384000hz and no problem
Scenario 2:i am using my new data and power ways seperated USB cable and LPS.I can not choose 384000hz on hw parameter setting.384000HZ option disappears and i can only choose 96000hz or lower on max sample rate option.
Scenario 3:i am using my new data and power ways seperated USB cable but not using LPS.I am getting the power on my netbook's USB ports(usb3.0 and usb 2.0 i have tried both of them) and no problem,HW parameter is 384000Hz again.
Scenario 4:i am using new data and power ways seperated USB cable and a power bank.I can not choose 384000hz on hw parameter setting.it disappears and i can only choose 96000hz or lower on max sample rate option.
Note;LPS's output is 5.10 volt and i have tried its output voltage with two controller.
In this case,data and power ways seperated USB cable working good when it is alone,LPS has not any problem(because power bank has same problem with cable)but i cannot use my DAC together with my data and power ways seperated USB cable and LPS on 384000 Hz.

I am waiting for your information about this problem.
Sincerely.