Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

How can I reduce the boot up time of Daphile.
I am running Daphile on a thin client, Wyse c90lew, 1gb ram and 2gb flash, Via c7 ighz. It takes almost 2 minutes to boot and I wondered if there was a way to reduce boot time. Its on a system giving me streaming to a portable radio, quality is important but not as on my main system but I would like to reduce boot time.
I am using Daphiles own internal user interface and this does take a few seconds but is needed.
Any ideas please.
Thanks
thyristor44

I have always used suspending to RAM in my projects with thin clients. The actual resume is stable and reliable. However the soundcard driver must be properly coded to support suspend/resume correctly. Also the player code can have a problem with the interruption.

The easiest and reliable way is removing the soundcard driver before suspend and reloading after resume. Restarting the player after resume. As I said, linux offers great support for this kind of configuration - just place simple scripts into corresponding directories. But I have no idea how much of that daphile supports in its graphical UI. That is the reason I do not use a closed solution with no other options apart of those painfully and laboriously copied into the graphical UI. There is a reason why linux has a command-line UI.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Only to be sure, it needs:

-16GB RAM? or is necessary more or less RAM?
-Screen?
-Keyboard + mouse?
-Hard disk?
-Something more I forget?

TIA
Felipe

I'm using 8GB memory and booting off a USB drive.

Nothing else is needed for Daphile setup as it will generate its own hotspot or if you are using wire connection, show up on your network in a few minutes.

Suspending to RAM instead of shutdown/cold startup. Linux has a great support for sleep/resume configuration but I do not know how much of that is available in the UI of daphile.
That does considerably reduce startup time on two of my daphile systems.
systems, thanks I will use that.

On a different query:
Is there any way I can reduce the screen resolution output from daphile.
I ask because I am using a 7 inch lcd tft monitor which is fine on one thin client that has a low resolution output but overheats on the other that has a higher screen resolution.
Thanks
thyristor44

Joined 2002
Paid Member
No.

The GUI isn't a priority item as it was always designed as a headless server/player. You can simply not use the graphics core. Daphile does not need it to function, but you will need another device for controlling it.

@sangram

Of course you can, there's even a setting for it..... Local UI

I know.

Let me try it again:

[You can simply] [not] use the graphics core.

Using 'can' and 'not' in two different parts of the sentence is not the same as the word 'cannot'.

I'm having a problem with CD ripping, and I'm guessing that someone has encountered it before.

I have one CD containing songs sung and recorded by my daughter and I've tried to add the material to my Daphile library. The ripper reads the CD, recognizes that there are 8 tracks, and indicates "unknown artist" and of course doesn't recognize or caption or title the tracks. I can find no place to edit the ripper screen, or add the info that is unknown.

I can rip at that point, but the file manager then shows a folder of unknown artist. I can't rename that folder, but I go into the folder, add a new folder, rename that folder with my album name, and rename the unknown tracks that are with the appropriate song titles. What I can't do is have Daphile show my new artist name, or play the newly added tracks.(I've tried a few different things and have rescanned after each new, unsuccessful attempt

Is there something I'm missing? Is there some way to edit and add artist and track info on that initial ripper screen? Any help would be much appreciated.

PS - I just checked, and I can select "Unknown Artist" from the list of Album Artists and play the recording that way. Even though I'm more or less sure that I had deleted that folder using the file manager.

Last edited: