Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I only heard of Daphile last week, and a friend has now installed it on an old laptop. I use a 2TB USB hard drive and a cheap Behringer USB DAC into a little Ming Da EL84 power amp. Great fun as a loft/workshop system. I don't know much about computer audio, but I just wanted to say thanks to Kipeta and everyone else who has had input.

Daphile grew from a system on the side to my main source. Now using it with a USB dac for radio, spottify, my CD collection and hi-res material.
Its a really brilliant solution. Especially as we now have a 10G network in the house so the filesystem holding the music library is on a RAID disk system combining all kind of media.

The only thing I hope to change in the near future is to automatically play the files in the playlist from RAM. Should be doable as there is 64Gb in the Daphile system.

Thanks again Kepita!!!

Great for any system.
I'll have to test that out before I can agree/disagree. The main system uses an Innuos Zenith II and Benchmark DAC3, so it will be quite a hard test for the Daphile laptop. And as my Lenovo T420 doesn't appear to have any way to disable the internal audio, it will start at a disadvantage. But it's hardly a priority at the moment; I'm just pleased it works at all! :D

Why should the powered-on internal audio codec chip hooked to the Intel HDA controller (i.e. enabled internal audio) present any disadvantage?

I would doubt the USB output of that box were any different to the USB output of your notebook.
You're asking the wrong person! I have simply been reading all the comments about this software, and others seem to have found it makes a difference. I have trouble just turning computers on and off, so don't ask me why. :D

I'll have to test that out before I can agree/disagree. The main system uses an Innuos Zenith II and Benchmark DAC3, so it will be quite a hard test for the Daphile laptop. And as my Lenovo T420 doesn't appear to have any way to disable the internal audio, it will start at a disadvantage. But it's hardly a priority at the moment; I'm just pleased it works at all! :D

You can disable the internal audio using the daphile audio devices settings. Go to settings, click on audio devices, and disable the internal audio. Please get back with your findings re the innous system.

You can disable the internal audio using the daphile audio devices settings. Go to settings, click on audio devices, and disable the internal audio. Please get back with your findings re the innous system.
Ah, I think I already did that? HDA Intel PCH - Disabled. Is that it? I did that to get USB out, otherwise it was only headphone audio. And USB Audio [hw:2.0]. I have Volume Control - On (at 50%) so I don't overload the input of my little valve amp, which is quite sensitive.
Does that look right? :scratch1:

Ah, I think I already did that? HDA Intel PCH - Disabled. Is that it? I did that to get USB out, otherwise it was only headphone audio. And USB Audio [hw:2.0]. I have Volume Control - On (at 50%) so I don't overload the input of my little valve amp, which is quite sensitive.
Does that look right? :scratch1:

You should use 100% or disable volume control if you want bit perfect output.

You should use 100% or disable volume control if you want bit perfect output.
Thank you, yes I understand that, but in the workshop it's not as important as not overloading the amplifier's input. And the phone, as controller, is easier to reach than the amp's volume control. When I come to compare it in the main system I will reset it.
I was just asking for confirmation that I had set the controls on the app correctly. As you can see, I need all the help I can get. My wife had a PC for 5 years before I even learned how to turn it on! :rolleyes:
It will be a while before I try it downstairs, as I am in the middle of building a PSU for a DHT pre, but I will post my impressions when I do.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for the links, aire cooling must be noisy...

You can set package power to anything you like, and switch off the fan.

I dual-boot with Windows 10 which uses high-performance mode with the loudest fan setting and it is pretty quiet even then. Iris 655 Pro is currently Intel's top IGP so can play some old games quite well.

In Daphile (which is default mode) I set package power to 10W avg and 20W max, and switch the cooling to fanless mode. Fanless will work at normal power too but tends to run hot (~90 degrees). With lower power mode activated the system runs dead silent.

All the settings are available in BIOS and you can load the profile. I set boot devices separately for each mode, so all I have to do is select the profile in BIOS and it applies all settings and loads the correct OS from the relevant drive.

Note that I had some sound problems with 19.01 so I am running 18.07 instead, which means I cannot install to internal drive and the wifi does not work, both features I don't really use anyway.