Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

This may be a dumb question, but I'd like to understand whether Daphile can seamlessly use two internal SSDs simultaneously. I have two Daphile-based music servers, each with a half-terabyte SSD. The SSDs are nearly filled and I'd like to increase the storage in each server to one terabyte. My most economical option is to combine the two 500 GB drives into one server and buy a single 1 terabyte drive for the other server.

If I do this, will Daphile "see" both of the 500 GB SSDs at all times? For example, if I'm using one of Daphile's random play features, will Daphile select music from both drives? Will Daphile report all of the songs by all of the artists on all of the albums stored on both drives, or will it only report the music on one SSD at a time?

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Scott,

Go to Settings> Storage to find listed drives.
You can do a simple test by inserting a USB flash drive or two (thumb drives) and watch them come up in Storage view. You can also give drives names to ID them.
Unplug them to see the changes in the view. Don't unplug your drive with the Daphile install! :)

So, once you install a second internal drive, you can ID the new drive and give it a name. Additionally, on the Audio Player tab, then in Music Folder, you can see all the attached drives. You can move or copy folders to a new drive from inside Music Folders. See screenshot attachment.

I recommend using a computer with a keyboard and mouse. Using a tablet to move things around is a little cumbersome.

Hope this helps,

Vince

Attachments

• Daphile_Music_Folder.PNG
    Daphile_Music_Folder.PNG
    277.2 KB · Views: 405
Hey there,

on my Hp-mini 210 the option 'File manager' will lead to a blank page with the black daphile wallpaper in the background. Actually the tooltip messages like 'cut' und 'paste' will still pop up while moving the cursor onto that area where the refering buttons would be....
I didn't have that problem with my eee of and I already tried repeated installations and even changed the disk from HDD to ssd where I install on.

In case there is no direct solution for that, is it possible to copy paste files from usb stick into the daphile folder via a live session run from another usb stick on that machine (regarding read/write permission).

Happy new year from Germany!

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Might just be your browser. If you use Internet Explorer, try Google Chrome or Firefox.

I did make a mistake above. You want to look in File Manager, not Music Folder.
I just got home and checked on my system. Sorry about that!

If you share your drives from Storage page, maybe you can view of your network.

See screenshot of windows viewing Daphile shares.

Attachments

• Daphile File Manager.PNG
    Daphile File Manager.PNG
    204.1 KB · Views: 370
  • Daphile Shares.PNG
    Daphile Shares.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I added a screenshot above of viewing Daphile shares on Windows PC. Use Windows Explorer to look at remote shares. Can also open via Run prompt.

Find your Daphile server IP address, after you share your music drives in Daphile, use the format \\Daphile_IP\. If the storage is properly shared, the list of available drives will appear after the back-slash, like in the pic above

Last edited:
Thanks phofman. I've read many discussions regarding expectation bias and DBTs. Nonetheless, I'm convinced that I do hear a difference.

You're not alone by identifying changes on sound. There are numerous people out there. What's missing is a scientific explanation.

But that shouldn't actually be the key topic.

IMO it's all about efficiency.

Basically all OS (kernel/driver/apps) and related configurations are causing
different load situations on a computer.
The revisions of the software usually make a difference. The compiler
options (target architecture) make a difference. That's one of the main reasons for having e.g. Gentoo as base.
There's efficiency in code and algorithms. Asf. Asf.

There are numerous side effects. Side effects that have a physical impact
on the HW.

You'll see power fluctuations and modulations, changes on the noise floor,
changes on temperature, asf asf.

The worse the computer HW and its power supplies/rails the more impact you'll see from the SW side on the HW side. And that physical impact with a DAC attached can easily cause performance changes on the audio device.
And again. There are DACs which can cope with that better others do worse.

The rt-kernel is just one out of many options to increase system efficiency.
It's supposed to decrease latencies and latency jitter.
That kernel won't do it by itself though. You need to align and tune the entire process chain.
The rt-kernel is not to be used on multipurpose systems.
It's meant to run on single purpose machines.
Systems that run an rt-kernel need to be well tuned. Otherwise using an rt-kernel gets easily worse than using any other standard kernel out there.

Enjoy.

Can anybody tell me if Daphile comes with Gracenote and Accurate Rip support?
I've never had a problem with ripping except for CDs that seem to have been run over by a truck, but you can always rip with another tool and add this to the Daphile music folder. I use FLAC exclusively and if you can't rip directly to FLAC, MediaHuman does a very nice converter for free.

Is there a tag-editor onboard?
No, but I use MP3Tag as an editor and find it does a very good job. It is constantly under development.

Thx Trumperie for outlining your experiences.

You missed the interesting part though.

Gracenote (not freedb!) ? Y/N
Accurate Rip ? Y/N

(Background: Over at AA a fellow inmate told me that Gracenote is supported.
That's been causing my sudden interest in Daphile. I wasn't sure
if he was mixing up freedb and Gracenote. Since I know that even Gracenote tags are not always complete I'd need a Linux tag-editor such as the great puddletag. Switching platforms for tag editing only I'd consider drawback)

Accuraterip is integrated with daphile. There is no tag file manager and I can't find a lms plugin. There are numerous pluguns to support library scanning. As Tromperie says you can use third party software to manage the music file structure and tags. Daphile uses Logitech media server (lms) to access and process your music which can be stored locally, usb attached, on a nas or remote computer, or streamed.

Last edited:
Thx Trumperie for outlining your experiences.

You missed the interesting part though.

Gracenote (not freedb!) ? Y/N
Accurate Rip ? Y/N

(Background: Over at AA a fellow inmate told me that Gracenote is supported.
That's been causing my sudden interest in Daphile. I wasn't sure
if he was mixing up freedb and Gracenote. Since I know that even Gracenote tags are not always complete I'd need a Linux tag-editor such as the great puddletag. Switching platforms for tag editing only I'd consider drawback)

On the CD Ripper page it does show powered by gracenote logo there, I assume yes!

On the CD Ripper page it does show powered by gracenote logo there, I assume yes!

"I assume" is not a "YES" ;)

Thx. At least you realized that the key question still wasn't answered. ;)

Yep. I was actually told - over at AA - that the Gracenote logo shows up.
Gracenote though is not publicly available. And I don't know if they
actually charge for accessing the database.
Or if e.g. the display of the GN logo is sufficient to get access.

I just looked up the Daphile changelog and found this:

2017-09-21 version 17.09 (x86_64, x86_64-rt & i486) changes:
- CD ripping metadata fetch uses now FreeDB if no other metadata is available

Here it lists FreeDB. I checked (ran a grep) the entire changelog and didn't see a hint about "Gracenote".

It's kind of confusing - at least to me.

Last edited:
As Tromperie says you can use third party software to manage the music file structure and tags.

Believe me. I know quite a lot about LMS and squeezelite and Linux audio and Linux. I'm running my own Linux audio stuff since more then a decade.

I'm just too lazy to install Daphile to figure that stuff out by myself.

The point is.

If CD extraction is offered as feature. And a system doesn't give you much options to tailor it. Than IMO it is a very valid question to ask if a tag editor is onboard. Or considered in the future.

If you're serious about a consistent audio data collection and proper tagging you won't get around using a tag editor -- such as puddletag.

And if Daphile doesn't offer that feature, fair enough. You'd simply need a 2nd platform to do the job. It's not nice. But that'd be the way it is.

Good morning,
And if Daphile doesn't offer that feature, fair enough. You'd simply need a 2nd platform to do the job. It's not nice. But that'd be the way it is.
I'm a Daphile user since 2014 and a Linux since 1998...
My Linux platform is now KDE Neon 5.14 but for some reasons I've never felt happy with some Linux native softwares. Since years I use mp3tag and DBPoweramp with Wine, both work perfectly.
I you want to be really serious about your audio collection I discourage you to make use of any "auto-tag" systems and to verify your datas...
In my opinion Daphile should better continue to focus on audio quality and compatibility than trying to be one of those numerous horrible "bloatwares" that don't even do one job correctly.

"Keep It Simple, Stupid" :rolleyes:

As maintainer you go for numerous compromises on the path.

A crucial question is "how to gain market share". Even if you are non-commercial.
You don't achieve this by offering single purpose systems.

By adding features you potentially get more people onboard.

I've been involved myself on the RPI side btw. I know how it works.

Daphile's strategy to focus on PCs only is focusing on a shrinking market.
PCs as audio engine can't compete with the great number of ARMs out there.

I still consider the PC a very valid option as audio/media server for managing all clients, files and do the DSP work.

And IMO a key job - and differentiator - is the CD extraction, encoding and tagging part. That's where it all starts. And that's been drawing my attention.

I mean, installing LMS on a very flexible Ubuntu machine doesn't require Daphile and it doesn't require in-depth knowledge either. Daphiles' value-add
would be the full package offering. (Yep. That's my opinion.)

And for sure these ondemand services wouldn't have any impact on the "audiophile" performance of such a setup. They'd just occupy a little extra space.

Enjoy.

Daphile's strategy
From the beginning "Daphile's strategy" looks strange when you come from the FOSS !
It's a one man's job who doesn't want to open it to collaborative experiences... But Daphile software does the job rather nicely and seems to have generated some vocations and interesting initiatives all along the last past 5 years.
Since the beginning Daphile users should know that Kipeta's fragile strategy could lead them in a no-suite adventure (last update takes 5 months).
But cynically speaking who cares ? I have at home, for free (or nearly nothing), a fantastic music server that can beat, from audiophile POW, very expensive solutions.
No marketing here... Lets Kipeta go further and push his (her ?) original idea to the end or up to the end of his resources (time, patience, money, motivation...).
We should never forget that free means free like a free beer that you can drink on Dus' Burgplatz on a shiny spring Sunday afternoon. It's short but... good.;)