Danley Signature Series

Last edited:
Well, let's consider the designs' (SH-50) intended use. Some of the conversation involves "possible" xo issues and/or component failure regarding frequency response. I don't believe, or expect, a design intended for auditorium/stadium use to scale the same for use in a typical home room environment. Therefore, other design consideration ie. high frequency air absorption, dispersion, multiple unit coupling, may inappropriately skew single unit near field results.
You're talking about phase response--if talking about an MEH...and a positive convergence distance if talking about a multiple-aperture loudspeaker, like a non-MEH multiway loudspeaker with vertical offset distances between drivers which are not acoustically summed internally.

Otherwise, all you're measuring is air acoustic properties over increasing distances--with boundary effects (the ground, etc.).

Last edited:
The NF/FF summation occurs around 1.50 meters (I mentioned this in my writeup).

You can see that from my groundplane measurement, there is practically no difference in the 2m vs 4m test and the only difference there is is directly attributed to the relative angle of the mic to the speaker (my driveway is slightly sloped; the mic is at the "higher" angle and, looking down, thus, more on-axis the further away it is placed).

Hi Erin, thank you very much for the work you've done, and sharing your results. And thanks to DSL for their willingness to provide a sample.

Quick question.... with your measurements, what is "On-Axis" referenced to?
I'd think actual 0 deg H and 0 deg V like commonly done?

I ask because i've found from measuring and tuning maybe a dozen different large synergy DIY builds at dead on 0 deg H and 0 deg vertical, that it is a lousy axis to tune to, and to compare polars to.
It's been the worst behaved axis inside of +/- 20 degrees, no matter what H vs V pattern the build was.

Does Kippel allow easy display of using one of the off-axis captures as reference and normalizing to it? (I typically tune the straight sided conicals at 10 deg off H.)

One thing i really wish, is that we would all relax a little about measurements...imho we are taking them way too seriously by peering into them too deeply and with too much resolution.

I say this as a speaker measurement freak....i don't know how many thousands of transfers I've taken over the last half-dozen years, most of them outdoors like you were doing.
I just try to stay the pragmatic measurement freak, that knows no matter what how the speaker measures on paper, sometimes the box just has to be heard. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Mark100, Erin shares off-axis measurements at his homepage Danley Sound Labs SH-50 Professional Audio Speaker Review

Off-axis responses have practically same wiggles as on-axis - unlike typical tweeter waveguides. And yes throughout the range and xo areas, which is really exceptional This makes SH speakers very easy to eq more flat. Distortion is not so smooth, specially at the "problematic" 900-1kHz range.

I've followed MEH diy threads for more than ten years, and have a friend who made a pair (Legis). I have all the time been a little worried about the "unity" of phase claim, because location of driver membranes, vents and acoustic pathlengths must be matched with xo frequency, but there is always some ovelap. And when xo frequency or slope(s) are changed, summation will change. Basically same problem as with any multiway speaker type. A coaxial compression driver is superior in this aspect, but can't go as low as MEH.

It is often claimed that perfect summation of drivers happens inside the horn, but now Erin says it takes 1-1,5 meters. When one puts her/his head inside the horn, the sound doesn't change, and off-axis has same tonality, but this perception is dominated by frequency response unity, not phase unity (IMO)

Avantgarde Acoustics Zero (3-way with two horns and dsp) measures surprisingly well with nice step response Avantgarde Acoustic Zero 1 Messungen - FIDELITY online but is not a PA speaker naturally.
Avantgarde-Acoustic-Zero-1-Messungen-6.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Erin, thank you very much for the work you've done, and sharing your results. And thanks to DSL for their willingness to provide a sample.

Quick question.... with your measurements, what is "On-Axis" referenced to?
I'd think actual 0 deg H and 0 deg V like commonly done?

I ask because i've found from measuring and tuning maybe a dozen different large synergy DIY builds at dead on 0 deg H and 0 deg vertical, that it is a lousy axis to tune to, and to compare polars to.
It's been the worst behaved axis inside of +/- 20 degrees, no matter what H vs V pattern the build was.

Does Kippel allow easy display of using one of the off-axis captures as reference and normalizing to it? (I typically tune the straight sided conicals at 10 deg off H.)

One thing i really wish, is that we would all relax a little about measurements...imho we are taking them way too seriously by peering into them too deeply and with too much resolution.

I say this as a speaker measurement freak....i don't know how many thousands of transfers I've taken over the last half-dozen years, most of them outdoors like you were doing.
I just try to stay the pragmatic measurement freak, that knows no matter what how the speaker measures on paper, sometimes the box just has to be heard. ;)

From my writeup (which Juhazi already linked above):

The reference plane in this test is directly in front of the tweeter. I also tested with the reference set at the “baffle”. I took the speaker outdoors to perform a ground plane test (at 2 and 4 meters) to verify where the acoustic center really was and it turns out that it is - indeed - at the tweeter. Therefore, the results you see here are with this as the reference point.

I posted the groundplane vs anechoic response earlier.

Hope that helps.

I want to point this out (from my written review) because I, too, am not sure how pertinent some of the measurements (namely, the CEA-2034 set) are to a pro-audio speaker. I mean, it helps give a baseline. But I really did my best to make it clear that this is a pro-audio speaker evaluated in a home-audio way. There will undoubtedly be gives and takes. I'm not making excuses for some of the effects we see in the data. But I think it is important to take a step back and consider the intended application and typical-use-case of the end user.

So, to quote myself from my review:
Erin said:
Note: These speakers were loaned to me by Danley Sound Labs. They were in used condition but received the typical look over before being placed back in stock in the warehouse where they came from (which I saw with my own eyes, being lifted off a rack via forklift and loaded into my car with the help of a Danley employee).

The Danley Sound Labs SH-50 is the flagship speaker from Danley’s Synergy Horn line. It is a monstrous pro-audio speaker intended for use in large venues (church halls, stadiums, etc.). The SH-50 features the following drive units: (2) 12-inch midwoofers, (4) 5-inch midranges and (1) High Frequency compression driver. It is built to withstand the elements, provide massive output with a power rating of 1000w continuous and has high sensitivity. The SH-50 can be used as a single unit or arrayed in multiples, daisy-chained via the speakON connectors located on the back. They weigh a whopping 130 pounds each. I had to enlist the help of my nephew to help me lift it on the Klippel stand.

Sure, these likely aren’t going to be the first idea for home audio listening. But, hey, it’s always fun to see what designs are out there and how different speakers perform. So while I was visiting Danley’s HQ in Georgia last month to listen to their new Hyperion home speakers, I got to talking about some of Danley’s various designs and was given the opportunity to take this SH-50 home with me (on loan) from Danley Sound Labs to test out and play around with. I’m there, dude!

Now, keep in mind all of this is evaluating a pro audio speaker in a home environment. Is this the right way to evaluate such a speaker? I do know Danley recommends the SM-60 for home audio.

My guess is that eq of small wiggles can't be heard. 300-1kHz range obviously needs careful boost, and most likely some attenuation above 6kHz for indoor use. And my ears would jugde that!

The synergy stereo sound indoors is like wearing headphones, incredible clarity of minute details and artefacts in the recording. I get tired of that in a minute...

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A good photo of the new Danley HiFi speaker half way down this thread:
We Out Here Festival - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 2
Also lots of other shots of Danley boxes. A friend of mine was there and said the sound was superb.

One interesting thing for me is that despite been molded the mouth termination is still dual slope conic whereas I would have thought a curve closer to Tractix would be superior.

Last edited:
The ASR thread seems to think some sort of paraline.
Brett, What is....a paraline>? Or should I say how does it function...I thought I was lookin at a large ribbon style driver....nope...

Quad 15” by the looks of it. Those are then probably coaxial compression drivers with a series of layered combiners (aka paralines), otherwise they will not go this low. They’ll probably need to go down to 300 Hz or so.

1646812799932.png

Last edited: