• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

Peter,

WTF has a very basic interface - no color - just print. All I want. It is the LINUX version of cPLAY. I consider it the spiritual successor to cics's work.

I have never tried JRiver so I have no basis for comparison.

WTF has no provision for networks so it would not be an easy change but it is worth a listen - just set up a drive with some music on it. Load the thing onto a USB stick and hear if it is worth the changes that would be required.

Has anyone experienced very noticeable 'warm up' changes from any of the soekris boards?

The DAC seems very harsh and lacking detail on upon startup but seems to mellow out and open up after a few hours, whether Im listening or not during that period it has still followed that pattern.

warm up is mentioned a lot with R2R DACs, but I never expect it would be something significant enough to make or break your enjoyment of the music.

Something else surprising with dam1121 is that it's fairly sensitive to the quality of the digital supply. Level of effect from tweaking the digital supply have been comparable to that of analogue supply... though I was actually disappointed by how minimal the improvements from the analogue supply tweaks were so it's a nice surprise .

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK. It makes sense as the TPS7A has a better performance in the Mhz territory and as this is for the digital supply. I use LT3045 there (also - I have 3 for my 1121)) but maybe I should try a TPS...

What kind of improvement did you experience?

//

Hi folks.

I am playing with the idea to get myself a 1941.
I've been there before -- more then once. The pricetag is what usually kept me away
from pushing the button.

However. At least I would like to make sure beforehand that I get this DAC properly integrated into
my RPI/squeezelite environment without having the need for any further onboard controls.

Does anybody know if the python library dam1021 is compatible to the 1941?

Has anybody used that library to upload e.g. custom filters to the 1941?

Has anybody been using that Alsa dummy driver for volume control on the 1941?
Why actually doesn't offer the 1941 VC through the generic Linux USB driver?

And than I'm wondering what advantage I'd have to use onDAC volume control,
if any app supplies me with a 32 bit SW VC!?!?
That would leads to following question:
Is there any option to bypass all the Soekris internal filters and SW volume control and
do the related tasks externally on the transport?

I guess running DSD and DOP prevents from using volume control at all. Right??
ESS Sabre is the only one offering it afaik.

Power supply:

I do have several quality 5V supplies around? I do lack a -5V supply?
Is there any common opinion what'd be the best choice for a -5V supply?

Thx.

If all of your 5 volts supplies have their own transformer just switch the leads to get negative voltage.

I got one of those IFI 5 volts switchers based on your advice and must say it is unlike any switcher I have ever used.

I am using that for the digital supply in my 1941. I am using brute force linear for the analog section.

I get the feeling that smps and digital have an affinity for each other. Makes one think that the smps has an ability to deliver current quicker than a linear supply and this is good for digital.

You mentioned that you are using a capacitor after the IFI - how large? I have looked and looked and cannot find where you specified what worked for you.

+1 for Nick’s UBiB. Tried cheap XPower and Recom SMPS, the TIs and 3045s. UBiB audibly better. Plus the board is ideally suited as it has two positive rails and a negative. Next GB is imminent, might be worth putting your name on the sheet. Was on an 1121 though, not 1941 so usual caveats.

Joined 2004
Paid Member

Attachments

• DAM1941 DAC block diagram_web.jpg
    DAM1941 DAC block diagram_web.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Are these (-)5V rails feeding any (key) part directly on the DAC?
Or do they feed another regulation stage?

Why I'm asking? On several other projects best results were achieved by
avoiding daisy chained regulation stages.

The currently best solution seems to be on oversize buffer (supercap - several Farads),
which is considered even better than a LiFePO4. I'm fully in line with this approach.

I currently run an Allos Shanti with >3F on the output feeding my current DAC and RPi .
I used to run iFi iPower with 47k Rifa on the rail (which wasn't worse then the Shanti IMO).
( I guess that answers Ricks earlier Q ;) )

But again. I'd understand the use of Salas and 3045regs etc. if there wouldn't be any further regulation onboard. And that I don't know.